Autor Thema: Good day.  (Gelesen 5911 mal)

Snejk

• Gast
Good day.
« am: November 05, 2006, 09:20:54 Nachmittag »
I've become a great fan of Falconer. The INCREDIBLY catchy choruses, the melodies.. Mostly everything.. I have a couple of questions though which I hope can get answered; the talent, the work, the unbelievable skills forged throughout the careers in music etc yet it seems that Falconer (and MANY other power metal bands) do not make a good living out of their music? It seems most members in bands have regular jobs beside the music. Is this really the bitter truth? As an aspiring musician this is not motivating at all :P Spending all my time making music and refining skills, making a life's work just to have it not even paying the rent? I'd appreciate if someone can shed some light over it :P

Next question, regarding melodies. So far I've just been singing and writing lyrics. I've never composed melodies. Lately I've started attempting it. Melodies is the most important aspect of music to me and I want to be able to produce the core in what I love. Is there any good tips in how to compose a catchy melody as in most choruses? Any guidelines/ground ideas for working with melodies? Any advice for beginners in the field? I got a great perception of pitch if that matters..?

Sorry for the great supply of question marks but I figured it wouldn't do so much harm.. ;)

Big thanks in advance..

- Patrik

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #1 am: November 05, 2006, 11:35:41 Nachmittag »
Welcome to the club! Always a pleasure to meet a new Falconite! I hope you will get some useful tips, because I don't really have any.  :wink:

Cheers,

Birdheaded Dude

Prab

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #2 am: November 06, 2006, 08:16:13 Vormittag »
Welcome aboard fellow Falconite :)
Enjoy the stay and have fun!

Greetz
Prab

Radagast

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #3 am: November 06, 2006, 11:10:19 Vormittag »
The sad truth is that if you want to make serious money out of music, heavy metal is most probably not the genre to play.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #4 am: November 06, 2006, 11:59:17 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Radagast"
The sad truth is that if you want to make serious money out of music, heavy metal is most probably not the genre to play.

Honestly, would you listen to metal, if every teen girl did too??

Radagast

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #5 am: November 06, 2006, 12:05:08 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "jakob_hasse"
Zitat von: "Radagast"

I fail to see what that has to do with what I was saying.

Since I've never been in that situation before, I have no idea how I'd react. But I like plenty of indie bands that occasioanly make an impact on the charts.

What about you?

Snejk

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #6 am: November 06, 2006, 04:11:41 Nachmittag »
Thanks for the welcoming :)

I don't listen to metal in an attempt to be "different" or "non-mainstream". I listen to it because it has so many elements which I like. The fact that every kid in town listened to 'Botten Anna' this summer didn't make me appreciate it any less. Incredibly catchy song. I don't care if it's J-Pop or accordion music..

:)

Stefan W

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #7 am: November 06, 2006, 05:15:34 Nachmittag »
Playing Metal music for you should really be about your will and passion.
If you want to make money on it, prepare to be devestated.
Media has no interest in Metal and that´s one of the biggest reason why this music won't be spread around as much as it deserves to be.

For me as a musician I get a bit pissed when a person sells huge amounts of records just because they happened to be on TV (Idol, pop stars).
Get on TV and then get everything served to you.

To be recognized from TV is more important than doing good music.

"Boten Anna", that´s just an insult on to any music writer.

The Black Knight

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #8 am: November 06, 2006, 06:05:57 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Stefan W"
If you want to make money on it, prepare to be devestated.
Media has no interest in Metal and that´s one of the biggest reason why this music won't be spread around as much as it deserves to be.

For me as a musician I get a bit pissed when a person sells huge amounts of records just because they happened to be on TV (Idol, pop stars).
Get on TV and then get everything served to you.

To be recognized from TV is more important than doing good music.

"Boten Anna", that´s just an insult on to any music writer.

True. And the fact that Lordi (the band) is bigger than ever has a lot to do with their Eurovision success. (although it's pretty funny that a metal act gets such response in such a mainstreamed contest...)

Snejk

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #9 am: November 06, 2006, 06:53:05 Nachmittag »
I see. I am sorry if you got offended by that statement but I really enjoyed that song because of the catchy melody. I notice that many people are very sensitive about what music is, and should be about. As I said, a core melody which sticks is the fundamental part of music for me. Of course, a melody which has no substance around it dies quickly while the contrary tend to evolve. This often holds true for power metal and that's why I love it. I don't like to call myself a man who categorizes and selects through genres but I seldom get dissapointed when listening to new songs in this area and that is why I asked this question. Music is my life and it will be what I will do for as long as my body permits. But having a full time job doesn't leave much time for hobbies and music for me is not just a mere 'hobby'...

I'm amazed that not more people love this brand of music. Being on TV and reaping the benefits of the medium is not a bad thing - if for the right reason. Personally I enjoy watching Idol. The auditions are hilarious. The top contestants do boast great voices, I can't argue with that. It's a shame they're not genuine and have their thirteen in a dozen hit songs written for them by people they don't even know. It's an absolute riot really ;/

Well, I'm just stating the obvious which many people have said before.

Anyway, being served by being on TV.. I guess so but is it not thrilling to know that ones music is reaching more and more people? It's the ultimate way of getting people to know and appreciate ones work. If just 'real' music would get prime time MTV...

Again, I'm just reiterating what others have said.

Sorry for being long-winded.

All the best.

Sol

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #10 am: November 06, 2006, 08:36:11 Nachmittag »
Zitat

And they did, Jakob, they really did  8)

Spawnie

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #11 am: November 07, 2006, 03:03:18 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Stefan W"

Exactly...

Spawnie

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #12 am: November 07, 2006, 03:03:39 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Sol"
Zitat

I know I did.  :wink:

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #13 am: November 07, 2006, 06:17:20 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Spawnie"
Zitat

Ditto that!  Though I didn't get my start until around age 16.

Spawnie

• Gast
Good day.
« Antwort #14 am: November 07, 2006, 07:02:15 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
Zitat von: "Spawnie"
Zitat

Ditto that!  Though I didn't get my start until around age 16.

My favorite song when I was 3 was Flight of Icarus.  8)