Autor Thema: Is "Home of the Knave" Anti-American?  (Gelesen 23302 mal)

Virvatuli

• Gast
Is "Home of the Knave" Anti-American?
« Antwort #45 am: September 13, 2006, 09:10:27 Nachmittag »
What a thread  :shock:

Anyways, I've always failed to see the point in blaming the whole nation instead of just the people, who actually gave the orders. I mean, we don't blame Germany as a whole for what Hitler did, do we? So why on earth should we blame all the americans for what Bush (the government, how ever you like to see it) has done?

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #46 am: September 13, 2006, 09:22:46 Nachmittag »
Because it is veeery convenient!  :wink:

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #47 am: September 13, 2006, 11:40:12 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Virvatuli"
What a thread  :shock:

Anyways, I've always failed to see the point in blaming the whole nation instead of just the people, who actually gave the orders. I mean, we don't blame Germany as a whole for what Hitler did, do we? So why on earth should we blame all the americans for what Bush (the government, how ever you like to see it) has done?

If you missed the point, I wasn't just talking about Bush...

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #48 am: September 14, 2006, 02:28:15 Vormittag »
I too have tried to stay out of this thread as well, though I am exremely pleased to see that most of the discussions have been civil and thoughtful. That speaks volumes to the integrity of the people of the falconer boards.

One of complicated facets of history/politics/world events is that everyone interprets things through their own perspective. Using the Iraqi war as an example, I am sure that you could ask 1 Iraqi how they feel and they would say that they wished the US stayed the heck out of Iraq, and another would be so glad that the US is helping out. Just as here you can ask two Americans and find the same opposire answers.

In getting information from various news sources and media, as well as history, you run the same risk. It is hard to be sure if there is a slant or under lying bias in the presentation. It is very hard, I believe, to be totally objective in presenting anything.

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #49 am: September 15, 2006, 12:10:12 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
I too have tried to stay out of this thread as well, though I am exremely pleased to see that most of the discussions have been civil and thoughtful. That speaks volumes to the integrity of the people of the falconer boards.

One of complicated facets of history/politics/world events is that everyone interprets things through their own perspective. Using the Iraqi war as an example, I am sure that you could ask 1 Iraqi how they feel and they would say that they wished the US stayed the heck out of Iraq, and another would be so glad that the US is helping out. Just as here you can ask two Americans and find the same opposire answers.

In getting information from various news sources and media, as well as history, you run the same risk. It is hard to be sure if there is a slant or under lying bias in the presentation. It is very hard, I believe, to be totally objective in presenting anything.

This is essentially what I've been trying to put across. There is no such thing as a right/wrong answer when it comes to things like this. Blanket statements about Americans, Iraqis, Europeans or whatever are no different than saying all black people are car thieves.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #50 am: September 15, 2006, 01:28:58 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Radagast"
This is essentially what I've been trying to put across. There is no such thing as a right/wrong answer when it comes to things like this. Blanket statements about Americans, Iraqis, Europeans or whatever are no different than saying all black people are car thieves.

America has been the greatest cultural imperialist country, it's fair to say that one would rather maintain one's own culture instead of having it replaced by the American. Of course, when someone moves from his fatherland, he brings his culture with him, the same way any American would bring with him his culture and that for me is a good reason to say as a European that Americans aren't welcome. I have not come with any generalizing statements regarding the nature of Americans at all, just that I don't like their culture and that the same culture has been damaging for the European peoples.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #51 am: September 15, 2006, 01:51:57 Nachmittag »
Jacob_hasse: Who created USA?

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #52 am: September 15, 2006, 02:01:21 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Black Knight"
Jacob_hasse: Who created USA?

A pack of worthless fugitives, who weren't good enough to live in Europe.

And originally were all from Africa...

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #53 am: September 15, 2006, 02:14:06 Nachmittag »
Ha ha ha! Just like Australia then?

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #54 am: September 15, 2006, 02:16:34 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Black Knight"
Ha ha ha! Just like Australia then?

I guess so...  :)

terroxxx

• Gast
sigh
« Antwort #55 am: September 15, 2006, 03:19:40 Nachmittag »
ok, i wount take anny side in this disgussion, but it seems to me that it's coming 2 an end...

2 the great american patriot, take a look at this... i don't know how reliable this is, but some of it seems rather suspissios...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=94448691996878155&q=loose+change+swed

an 2 that rassist dane, you make some good points, but most of it is just plain anger, hate and rasisim. are u BTW awere of the fact that the nazis only needed 2days to conquer your country?
[/img]

jakob_hasse

• Gast
Re: sigh
« Antwort #56 am: September 15, 2006, 06:51:35 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "terroxxx"
are u BTW awere of the fact that the nazis only needed 2days to conquer your country?

We weren't stupid enough to fight, when we knew we would lose, unlike you. At least we had our own government, you had Quisling ruling for years...

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #57 am: September 15, 2006, 07:21:26 Nachmittag »
Blanket statements about Americans, Iraqis, Europeans or whatever are no different than saying all black people are car thieves.

Generalizations have been unnecessarily demonized, but they do serve a well defined purpose and theyhave a reason (and basis) to exist. Even though one should always keep in mind that exceptions are out there, the general behavior of a group of people, race, or animals can be observed and based on that, something can be expected from them.

For example, let's suppose that one is walking down the street when all of a sudden three dogs sitting on the sidewalk can be seen. Two dogs belong to the Rottweiler race and the other one is a Doberman. What to do? The most likely scenario would find the person who wants to go further crossing to the other side of the street in order to continue the journey.

It can be easily seen that such a behavior could be very well described as generalizing. The dogs could have been the most peacful and tame animals in the world, or maybe just one of them was, or two, or... well, the point is made I guess. Yet, perhaps those dogs would have behaved as they generally do when they are trying to protect something, and would have ripped to pieces the person that tried to get by them.

Generalizations exist for a reason, and it's up to the individual to know when to use a wiser judgemnet to find an exceptional case.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #58 am: September 15, 2006, 07:28:38 Nachmittag »
Mindtraveller, you are a very wise person.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #59 am: September 15, 2006, 07:31:14 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Mindtraveller"
Blanket statements about Americans, Iraqis, Europeans or whatever are no different than saying all black people are car thieves.

Generalizations have been unnecessarily demonized, but they do serve a well defined purpose and theyhave a reason (and basis) to exist. Even though one should always keep in mind that exceptions are out there, the general behavior of a group of people, race, or animals can be observed and based on that, something can be expected from them.

For example, let's suppose that one is walking down the street when all of a sudden three dogs sitting on the sidewalk can be seen. Two dogs belong to the Rottweiler race and the other one is a Doberman. What to do? The most likely scenario would find the person who wants to go further crossing to the other side of the street in order to continue the journey.

It can be easily seen that such a behavior could be very well described as generalizing. The dogs could have been the most peacful and tame animals in the world, or maybe just one of them was, or two, or... well, the point is made I guess. Yet, perhaps those dogs would have behaved as they generally do when they are trying to protect something, and would have ripped to pieces the person that tried to get by them.

Generalizations exist for a reason, and it's up to the individual to know when to use a wiser judgemnet to find an exceptional case.

"If the first grape you eat is bitter then you will not bother eating grapes again. If the first grape you eat is a sweet one then you will be willing to eat a lot of bitter grapes in search of another sweet one "

You forget, that a few bad seeds can ruin the whole "race." as well.  Going back to the dog example - Pit Bulls have a reputation as being violent, aggressive dogs.  But this is ONLY because idiots continue to use them for illegal dog fights.  If you train a dog to be aggressive, that dog is going to be aggressive, whether Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Labrador or Toy Poodle.  My experience with Pit Bulls has been nothing but positive.  The breed is, on the whole, very people-friendly and loveable.  However, the media portrays pit bulls as being vicious killers because that is what sells.  I've noticed that the most vicious dogs are the smaller breeds, especially terriers.

It's easier to make generalizations than to actually THINK.  It's easier to assume and believe everything negative you hear than it is to consider all angles.