Autor Thema: Guns guns guns  (Gelesen 16180 mal)

Virvatuli

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« am: Oktober 15, 2005, 05:21:13 Nachmittag »
Nice indeed :) And what's wrong with guns? Guns don't kill, people do...

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #1 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 07:03:16 Nachmittag »
Indeed!  I sleep with that gun within reach when I'm in the house by myself.  I will NOT be a victim if I can avoid it.  (I also am certified to physically hurt people via hand-to-hand combat, thanks to a self-defense class I took.  I'm not a martial arts master, but I can do some dammage if someone decides to assault me).  Basically, if I hear someone break into my house, I'll be getting behind my bed, and if they try to come into my room, I say "I have a gun!"  I REALLY hope that never happens because I don't want to shoot anyone.  But my own life is more important to me.

K. Beckman

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #2 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 07:44:26 Nachmittag »
And some day a small kid walks around in the house and finds a nice shiny thing and thinking: Wow, what's this? Pulls the trigger and Bang!, that little kid is dead. Yeh right, guns don't kill, people do. So who killed this kid?
I don't blame you for wanting a gun. I like weapons my self, but I would NEVER keep one in my house. If something like my little story above happend to my son, I would kill my self instantly.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #3 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 08:08:54 Nachmittag »
People kill. People are weak, people are easily led astray. People are errant. People kill more easily and a lot quicker with weapons.

I don't blame you neither, please don't take this as personal offense. :)

But I don't have good feelings with weapons in the reach for anybody either.  :?
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #4 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 11:14:39 Nachmittag »
The thing with kids and guns:  Proper storage is required so they DON'T get ahold of it.  My dad is a retired cop.  I can guarantee you, I never knew where he hid his guns.  I knew where the hunting guns were, but they were locked up, and it was made very clear that they are NOT toys, and that I was NOT to touch them without an adult around.

Proper gun safety is VITAL if you have guns and children (actually, it's just smart PERIOD.  Children or no).  I was also trained in proper gun safety at a young age.  Boundaries were set, and I was never left alone long enough to go "Oh gee, a toy! BLAM!"  It's just common sense not to leave young children alone in the house for that long anyway.  By the time I was old enough to be left alone in the house, I was at a high enough cognitive level to not confuse a real gun with a toy gun, nor was I going to go "Hey, I'll play with the real guns!"  Also, we don't keep them loaded.  That's just stupid.

Also, I'm sure those of you with children have scisors and knives in the house.  Those are hardly any less dangerous than guns.  Yet the risk of the child getting ahold of one and getting hurt is the same. It's just that knives and scisors are so commonplace, no one really thinks of them as a "dangerous weapon."

Virvatuli

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #5 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 11:21:11 Nachmittag »
I wouldn't want a gun in my house either, but then again, I live in Finnland... ;) And I'd like to state my opinion about the world being a better place if we still fought with sticks and sticks only ;)

But c'mon. If the kids are so small that they don't understand that guns are dangerous, they probably wont be able to load them nor shoot with them (if they even find them...).
And there's a lot of dangerous objects in anybodys house anyways.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #6 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 11:30:09 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Virvatuli"
And I'd like to state my opinion about the world being a better place if we still fought with sticks and sticks only ;)

I second that!  Well...somewhat.  I'd rather see swords and sheilds instead of bullets and kevlar.  STEEL is the only honorable way to fight (and maybe blunt objects like staves and clubs), none of this silly ICBM crap.

Arthyron

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 11:42:34 Nachmittag »
Right, I know a lot of you people come from countries and societies where guns are shunned and demonized, but as someone who's been around them since birth, I can tell you that with good parenting and teaching, guns can be perfectly safe, and actually increase your safety beyond a state of not having guns (statistically).  My father always kept his guns far out of reach (top shelf of the closet, in some cases that were locked).  When I got older, I was given a BB gun , which are only dangerous if you shoot someone in the face.  But when I was given this gun, I was taught how to use it, how to clean it, and most importantly, how to use it safely.  I was never to use it when an adult wasn't around, I was never to play with it indoors, I was always to wear eye protection, and I was always to never shoot towards anything but the target (usually old cans, those are fun to shoot at).  From an early age I was taught how to be safe with guns, how to use them effectively, and how to keep other people from harming themselves with my guns.  I never had one mishap growing up, and no one in my family did either.  And guess what, with this proper training and all the saftety precautions, we are actually safer than someone without a gun (for instance a scenario where an armed robber breaks into your house at night).  And for the record, in the scenario where the child kills himself:  Poor parenting killed that child.  No child should be left alone long enough for that to happen.  That's a parental failure, not the fault of a gun.  It's no different than leaving window cleaning chemicals where the kid can reach them.

If you don't like guns and don't want one, that's fine.  Don't keep one.  But don't berate others for keeping weapons while taking great care and precautions.  Guns aren't something to be hated and feared.  They're merely tools.  It's the person wielding them that you should mind.  Guns are inherently neutral.  They can provide recreation, entertainment, a chance for people to bond together (like a father and son going hunting or to the shooting range), and a great deal of safety.  Only when used improperly can they be a threat to innocents, and only then.  So if people are taught to use them correctly (as AngelofMusic clearly has been, especially considering her father is a retired police officer), there's really no reason to show disgust.

And yes, that IS a nice silhouette. ;)  (but she doesn't believe me)

EDIT:  And yes, swords should be legalized as well.  Think about it, what kind of criminal would try to attack someone with a big sword strapped to their back.  I mean initially, there might be problems (as there always is when people are given new found freedoms), but over time, I think it would balance itself out.  I know I'd carry a sword everywhere.  I just think that there should be the same limitations placed on swords as guns.  Then you'd be set.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #8 am: Oktober 15, 2005, 11:48:39 Nachmittag »
Oh, that reminds me...

I'd like to slap the genius that decided toy guns should look alot like REAL guns.  That was a brilliant stroke of thinking, right there.  Who the heck decided that toy guns should look realistic???  It's no wonder some children (negligent parenting rants aside...) find a real gun and play with it like it's a toy.  Because the toys look real!  So they don't know the difference!  STUPID, STUPID TOY MANUFACTURERS!!! *twitch*

Back on topic: Arthy, you should post some of your band pictures.

The Metal RN

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #9 am: Oktober 16, 2005, 02:13:54 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Odin"
Beautiful silhouette, if it wasn't for the weapons...  :?

While i also enjoy the pic,I would rather see you wielding a guitar..........hehehehe!!

Interesting conversation.I really have no opinion on guns one way or another. Though responsibility and safety should always be of importance.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #10 am: Oktober 16, 2005, 02:24:45 Vormittag »
I'm so awkward with a guitar.  Really, I am.

Virvatuli

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #11 am: Oktober 16, 2005, 09:05:17 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
Oh, that reminds me...

I'd like to slap the genius that decided toy guns should look alot like REAL guns.  That was a brilliant stroke of thinking, right there.  Who the heck decided that toy guns should look realistic???  It's no wonder some children (negligent parenting rants aside...) find a real gun and play with it like it's a toy.  Because the toys look real!  So they don't know the difference!  STUPID, STUPID TOY MANUFACTURERS!!! *twitch*

Good point there :)
*adds  "punish the toy manufacturers" to to-do-when-I-become-a-dictator list*

dorian jane

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #12 am: Oktober 16, 2005, 09:16:08 Vormittag »
I have to add something here.When you own a gun there are more chances in using it than when you don't.Just because it's there.Whether somebody decides to own one,or not, is one's own choice.
I personally believe that all sorts of weaponry should be destroyed worldwide -for good!-
but since such a thing isn't likely to happen, i think that people should have a proper training together with a psychological evaluation , before they are allowed to acquire a gun.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #13 am: Oktober 16, 2005, 11:28:49 Vormittag »
Precautions and training in proper care are good. Still, why at all do guns "increase safety"? Why are they necessary? Because everybody has one? So they don't give any more safety than one would have without guns at all. But - unfortunately - that's hypothetic, I'm afraid. :(
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Guns guns guns
« Antwort #14 am: Oktober 16, 2005, 07:58:30 Nachmittag »
Those are good questions, Odin, and often brought up by anti-gun people. I never said they were necissary (believe me, there are some people that just should NOT own a gun simply because they're idiots.)  Both cars and guns claim lives every year.  The only difference is that cars are almost a necissary evil.  The same goes for knives and scisors.  My point in arguing the "gun safety" issue is not to try and sway anyone to the side of "Guns are great!" but only to try and get people to realize that just because someone has one, does not mean that suddenly everyone in the household is at risk.  You're at risk every time you leave the house, every time you handle a knife, every time you breathe the air.

I have AIM and MSN.  I really would be glad to talk to any of you on there about the gun issue.  Heck, I'd be glad to just talk to any of you via IM ANYWAY! :)  Please feel free to add me on MSN: Silabub82@aol.com  or on AIM (But let me know YOUR AIM, I have privacy settings on) at Silabub82

All this from one photo.  Gracious.  :shock: