Autor Thema: Question about Per Tyrssons Döttar I Vänge  (Gelesen 15855 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Question about Per Tyrssons Döttar I Vänge
« Antwort #15 am: Januar 13, 2006, 09:19:29 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Black Knight"
As a matter of fact, I happened to think that "Clarion Call" had synthetic drums first time I listened to it. Then I realized that Karsten is one heck of a drummer.

I agree.  In fact, the first time one of my friends  heard Falconer he said "What do they feed their drummer?  Speed?  :shock: "

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #16 am: Januar 14, 2006, 02:00:04 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
As a matter of fact, I happened to think that "Clarion Call" had synthetic drums first time I listened to it. Then I realized that Karsten is one heck of a drummer.

I agree.  In fact, the first time one of my friends  heard Falconer he said "What do they feed their drummer?  Speed?  :shock: "

Don't forget that he's the man behind those extremely fast and long drumpatterns of Mithotyn. Fortunately he's rocking on just as hard as the genre permits in Falconer!
I hope Karsten never leaves the band.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #17 am: Januar 15, 2006, 10:04:18 Vormittag »

LOL Yeah, he's really something. He's one of the best drummers I've ever heard.

Talisker

• Gast
Re: Question about Per Tyrssons Döttar I Vänge
« Antwort #18 am: Januar 15, 2006, 02:20:51 Nachmittag »
I'm a bit confused about one part in the song Per Tyrssons Döttar I Vänge:

Now, after Per Trysson slays the two oldest robers, he asks the third one who his father and mother is.  The third one answers that Per Trysson and Fru Karin are his parents (according to the translation I have.)  So were the robbers the brothers of the three girls, then?

Maybe the translation I have isn't very clear.

Also, on this part: "Per Tyrsson went to the smithy and forged himself iron round his waist."  Does this mean that he placed the iron around the remaining robber and made said robber build the church?  Like I said, the translation is kind of...rough, I think.  Either that, or I'm just being dense.

Either way, a little clarity would help.

Thanks!

My interpretation of "Per Tyrssons döttrar i Vänge":

The key to understanding the lyrics is realizing that there are two different women named Karin in the story, Per Tyrssons wife and Karin from Skränge. Apparently Per Tyrsson has had an affair with Karin from Skränge resulting in the birth of the three robbers.

In a way this makes Per Tyrsson partly guilty in the slaying of his own daughters, and also explains why he blames himself for their deaths and forges iron round his waist as a punishment (or maybe to prevent himself from cheating on his wife again...).

A very cruel story, as old Nordic ballads often are.

Amazing song by the way, with beautiful melody lines and arrangements.

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #19 am: Januar 15, 2006, 03:05:08 Nachmittag »
I love this song as well, even more that both his successors "We Sold Our Homesteads" (wish they would have kept it in Swedish) and "En Kungens Man" (does that mean "A King's Man? my Swedish sucks  :lol: )

Stefan, is there going to be another Swedish folk song on the next album?
Talking of which: Do you already have a name for the album?

Jäg alskar Falconer!  :banger2:

It's kind of funny, though, that I can say "chilly were their woods" in Swedish, but I couldn't even order a pizza  :wink:

Later,

Freddy Falconhead Krueger

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #20 am: Januar 15, 2006, 05:37:58 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "<Horus-Nikopol>"
"En Kungens Man" (does that mean "A King's Man?

Literally yes, but "A Man of the King" is the English equivalent term I guess.

Very sad song. :(

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #21 am: Januar 15, 2006, 06:37:54 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Talisker"

Now, after Per Trysson slays the two oldest robers, he asks the third one who his father and mother is.  The third one answers that Per Trysson and Fru Karin are his parents (according to the translation I have.)  So were the robbers the brothers of the three girls, then?

Also, on this part: "Per Tyrsson went to the smithy and forged himself iron round his waist."  Does this mean that he placed the iron around the remaining robber and made said robber build the church?  Like I said, the translation is kind of...rough, I think.  Either that, or I'm just being dense.

Thanks!

The key to understanding the lyrics is realizing that there are two different women named Karin in the story, Per Tyrssons wife and Karin from Skränge. Apparently Per Tyrsson has had an affair with Karin from Skränge resulting in the birth of the three robbers.

In a way this makes Per Tyrsson partly guilty in the slaying of his own daughters, and also explains why he blames himself for their deaths and forges iron round his waist as a punishment (or maybe to prevent himself from cheating on his wife again...).

A fellow dane! Greetings and
velkommen til!

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #22 am: Januar 15, 2006, 07:19:38 Nachmittag »
Which reminds me: I'm doing a presentation for my Archaeology class. It's about Danish fortresses in the Middle Ages. I was really astonished as I went through the books. I never realized what a powerful kingdom Danmark used to be back then!

Another funny thing: I actually stumbled across the "Sceptre of Deception" story in one of the books. It made me realize again what a great album that one actually is!  8)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #23 am: Januar 15, 2006, 07:30:52 Nachmittag »

Thanks!

Okay, thanks!  That puts things into better perspective.  :)

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #24 am: August 18, 2006, 11:31:43 Vormittag »

Thanks!

I think that is incorrect. I have read about Per Tyrssons döttrar i Vänge in a book partly about old litterature and the version there said that the three robbers were sent away from their parents long ago (perhaps because they had to seek their luck elsewhere) and that their parents did not know what happened to them. (A source I found recently spoke about that the brothers had been sent away to foreign countries in their early youth and that the parents and children now did not recognize each other). The "iron around his waist" part is harder to decipher but that it should have anything to do with cheating I think is most unlikely. My first thought was that it is a symbol for making an armour but what he needed an armour for is hard to understand. More likely it is a symbol which means that Per Tyrsson accepts the guilt of having slain his sons and he builds a church to the glory of God to be forgiven. In combination with that I would say that my guilt theory is the most realistic. If anyone knows for sure that I am wrong, please go ahead and correct me...

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #25 am: August 18, 2006, 05:52:56 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Ancient Minstrel"

Thanks!

I think that is incorrect. I have read about Per Tyrssons döttrar i Vänge in a book partly about old litterature and the version there said that the three robbers were sent away from their parents long ago (perhaps because they had to seek their luck elsewhere) and that their parents did not now what happened to them. (A source I found recently spoke about that the brothers had been sent away to foreign countries in their early youth and that the parents and children now did not recognize each other). The "iron around his waist" part is harder to decipher but that it should have anything to do with cheating I think is most unlikely. My first thought was that it is a symbol for making an armour but what he needed an armour for is hard to understand. More likely it is a symbol which means that Per Tyrsson accepts the guilt of having slain his sons and he builds a church to the glory of God to be forgiven. In combination with that I would say that my guilt theory is the most realistic. If anyone knows for sure that I am wrong, please go ahead and correct me...

Hmm...well both accounts make sense to me.

Needless to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't quite clear on what is going on in the song.

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #26 am: September 14, 2006, 06:01:17 Nachmittag »
I believe that this Folk tale is also the basis for Ingmar Bergman's film The Virgin Srping It should not be too hard to get/rent a copy if you would like to see it. I am not sure how true to the original it is, but I recognized it when I had a swedish friend of mine translate the lyrics for me. A wonderful job..

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #27 am: September 14, 2006, 06:32:15 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
I believe that this Folk tale is also the basis for Ingmar Bergman's film The Virgin Srping It should not be too hard to get/rent a copy if you would like to see it. I am not sure how true to the original it is, but I recognized it when I had a swedish friend of mine translate the lyrics for me. A wonderful job..

Noticed that as well. And speaking of Bergman, I've thought that Falconer could very well pull off a concept album about The Seventh Seal. Unfortunately, I don't think Stefan wants to do one of those ever again. But still, it's such a great movie and I can't think of another band that could fit its concept so well. Of course, the music would need to lean to a gloomier, more brooding side of the spectrum... One can dream though. ;)

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #28 am: September 14, 2006, 10:02:09 Nachmittag »
Yes, The Virgin Spring is based on Töres Döttrar i Vänge (the more usual name of Per Tyrssons Döttrar i Vänge).

But, I do not know how true Bergman has been to the original source and whether the interpretation he must have made is the correct one.

And yes, a concept album on "The Seventh Seal" would be great...

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #29 am: September 14, 2006, 10:35:02 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Mindtraveller"

Unfortunately, I don't think Stefan wants to do one of those ever again.

Am I the only one who really liked that album?!?! I recently downloaded it (from my CD to my IPOD--before anyone goes nuts) and have been listening to it a lot. I would have to say that Septre is one of my favorite Falconer songs of all time. I think that the whole album is some of the most melodic material that they have done. I really like that about it.