Autor Thema: Question about Per Tyrssons Döttar I Vänge  (Gelesen 15854 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Question about Per Tyrssons Döttar I Vänge
« Antwort #30 am: September 14, 2006, 10:37:27 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
Zitat von: "Mindtraveller"

Unfortunately, I don't think Stefan wants to do one of those ever again.

Am I the only one who really liked that album?!?! I recently downloaded it (from my CD to my IPOD--before anyone goes nuts) and have been listening to it a lot. I would have to say that Septre is one of my favorite Falconer songs of all time. I think that the whole album is some of the most melodic material that they have done. I really like that about it.

No, I liked Sceptre quite a bit too.  I listen to it more than I listen to GvG.  I thought Sceptre was the most "Falconer-sounding" album of the two Kris did with the band.  I also thought it was a nice transition album from Mathias to Kris.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #31 am: September 14, 2006, 10:39:24 Nachmittag »
Am I the only one who really liked that album?!?!

You are not alone. It's actually my second favorite Falconer album (fighting for the spot with Chapters... though). Its atmosphere is really well achieved, and most of the songs fit their theme pretty nicely.

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #32 am: September 15, 2006, 08:24:55 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
No, I liked Sceptre quite a bit too.  I listen to it more than I listen to GvG.  I thought Sceptre was the most "Falconer-sounding" album of the two Kris did with the band.  I also thought it was a nice transition album from Mathias to Kris.

Couldn't agree more! It was a very nice transition from Mathias to Kris, and Sceptre is a great album anyway! But I understand that it takes a lot of labor and patience to get an concept album done, because the lyrics have to from a story line. It kind of restricts the lyrical freedom the writer has I'd say.
But yeah, another concept album would be fine :)
Although... I have some thoughts about that topic and will share them later, in a different thread ;)

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #33 am: September 15, 2006, 12:14:10 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Mindtraveller"

Unfortunately, I don't think Stefan wants to do one of those ever again.

Am I the only one who really liked that album?!?! I recently downloaded it (from my CD to my IPOD--before anyone goes nuts) and have been listening to it a lot. I would have to say that Septre is one of my favorite Falconer songs of all time. I think that the whole album is some of the most melodic material that they have done. I really like that about it.

It was a very effective transition, the only difference I found that I disliked was in the production. I'm not sure if Andy and the guys did anything different on purpose, but I thought the whole album sounded a lot 'thinner' than the previous two. The drums had a more a clicky sound than the nice healthy thump on the first two albums.

That's just a minor complain however, it ranks as my joint-second favourite Falconer release.

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #34 am: September 15, 2006, 03:37:57 Nachmittag »
I actually think that Sceptre is the strongest album, but that is probably just beacause I'm a history-nerd.  :wink:

However, Mathias is much better than Kris IMO and the best songs (except for Under the Sword) are not found on Sceptre. But what makes it the strongest album for me is the overall quality. There are no weak songs like Busted to the Floor on there.

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #35 am: September 15, 2006, 04:14:26 Nachmittag »
Busted to the Floor kicks Under the Sword's butt any day of the week!  :twisted:

I also agree that Sceptre is a great album. Much better than GvG. The title track is actually my second or so favorite Falconer song ever. The Coronation is a very strong opener, Hooves over Northland is just super catchy and rocks, Ravenhair is awesome as well. Hear Me Pray is at least as good a ballad as Portals of Light and I *have* to hear Mathias sing that song!  :wink:

I even listen to this album more often than Chapters, simply it has more "hits" in comparison. Still I consider Chapters to be the better album, because the sound of Sceptre, even though it is an awesome album, is not as genuinely Falconer as the first two records. It's already been said, the sound seems a bit thinner and, well, Kriss did a fantastic job but Mathias cannot be truly replaced. And then, no Falconer album (except maybe GvG with Power) has such a (relatively) boring song as Under the Sword.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #36 am: September 15, 2006, 06:54:22 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Radagast"
I'm not sure if Andy and the guys did anything different on purpose, but I thought the whole album sounded a lot 'thinner' than the previous two.

This is true, but when you think about it, the production adds to the atmosphere of the album. It actually sounds as if the music were being played inside a big room like the one found on the cover art. It's a subtle production that fits the overall theme of the songs.

And to the naysayers, "Under the Sword" kicks ass. It is probably one of the songs that better suit the lyrics. Its content is in harmony with its aesthetics, and the result is a well crafted song that works perrfectly fine within its context.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #37 am: September 15, 2006, 07:20:12 Nachmittag »
Not to mention "Child of innocence". Mathias' voice is fantastic on that one. But not as fantastic as on "Vårvindar Friska"...or any other song on Northwind actually.

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #38 am: September 17, 2006, 05:43:28 Nachmittag »
Regarding the production of "Sceptre.....":
We did nothing on purpose, it just happened to become bad.
Everything felt a bit strange at that time.
New vocalist, new members, concept album and honestly we weren't on top musically when we recorded so I would say that everything was the opposite on Sceptre as it was during Northwind.

Spawnie

• Gast
« Antwort #39 am: September 19, 2006, 01:11:16 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "The Black Knight"
As a matter of fact, I happened to think that "Clarion Call" had synthetic drums first time I listened to it. Then I realized that Karsten is one heck of a drummer.

I agree.  In fact, the first time one of my friends  heard Falconer he said "What do they feed their drummer?  Speed?  :shock: "

That was the first thing to catch my attention with Falconer. I'm a sucker for a kick butt drummer. Then the lyrics/style set in and I was hooked.... for life.  :banger2:

Sol

• Gast
« Antwort #40 am: Oktober 09, 2006, 08:48:06 Vormittag »
BTW,  I would like to ask...
I have heard that there is a movie by I. Bergman, I don't remember the authentic title exactly... It was "Jungfru kallan" or something like that... It was said that the plot is the same like in "Per Tyrssons Döttrar". Is it so?
8)

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #41 am: Oktober 10, 2006, 03:51:50 Nachmittag »
Yes, it's called "Jungfrukällan" which means, directly translated, "The Spring of Maidens".

Sol

• Gast
« Antwort #42 am: Oktober 14, 2006, 09:33:37 Vormittag »
I have found that.
Bergman is a true master, but the story in "Jungfru källan" is a little bit different, than in a ballad of Per Tyrsson...