Autor Thema: WHERE IS EVERYONE!!!!! O_O  (Gelesen 11300 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
WHERE IS EVERYONE!!!!! O_O
« Antwort #15 am: Februar 23, 2006, 07:40:40 Nachmittag »
The reason people get sick when they have time off (You'll notice this most in students) is because they can actually relax and have the time to get sick.  Until then, your body is running on stress and adrenaline, which is weakening your immune system, but keeping you going.  During this time you're exposed to all kinds of airborne crap (especially if you're a student!) and it just waits until your body relaxes.  Then you get sick.

If you notice, ALOT of students tend to get sick right after finals or other huge, important exams.  A few unfortunate individuals get sick right before, or during, but the bulk get sick almost immediately after.

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #16 am: Februar 23, 2006, 07:58:01 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
The reason people get sick when they have time off (You'll notice this most in students) is because they can actually relax and have the time to get sick.  Until then, your body is running on stress and adrenaline, which is weakening your immune system, but keeping you going.  During this time you're exposed to all kinds of airborne crap (especially if you're a student!) and it just waits until your body relaxes.  Then you get sick.

If you notice, ALOT of students tend to get sick right after finals or other huge, important exams.  A few unfortunate individuals get sick right before, or during, but the bulk get sick almost immediately after.

Yeah, makes sense in deed.. still, it sucks a big time ;)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #17 am: Februar 23, 2006, 10:53:44 Nachmittag »
Yes.  Yes it does.  I remember I got sick last fall right before Fall Break.  My ears, nose and throat were all clogged.  I couldn't talk, hear, or breathe.  I had some weird infection that initially masqueraded as a cold.  My parents had to come get me at school and drive me home, I was so bad off!

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #18 am: Februar 23, 2006, 11:04:48 Nachmittag »
Yes.  Yes it does.  I remember I got sick last fall right before Fall Break.  My ears, nose and throat were all clogged.  I couldn't talk, hear, or breathe.  I had some weird infection that initially masqueraded as a cold.  My parents had to come get me at school and drive me home, I was so bad off!

Uhh, sounds really bad :( Did you at least get some nice hallucinations? :) I'm happy I'm not that sick this time, but still not able to do anything.. :(

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #19 am: Februar 24, 2006, 07:19:35 Vormittag »
Nope, no hallucinations for me.  I only hallucinated once, and that was from sleep-deprivation.  And the hallucinations were just really WEIRD.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #20 am: Februar 24, 2006, 08:34:01 Vormittag »
Yep, I really expected to become sick after my thesis last year. But it didn't happen. Only after I made a short trip to Portugal a few days later - then I got struck down by a internal infection making me loose 2-3kg in 2 days...   :evil:

This also applies for working people, I think. If you are loaded and busy, there's no time to become ill, but as soon as you have some free time (vacation...) it might break out. A good reason to use the weekends and other non-working time to really relax (so you don't have to waste your vacation ;) ).
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #21 am: Februar 24, 2006, 10:39:09 Vormittag »
And the hallucinations were just really WEIRD.

The weird ones are the best ;)

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #22 am: Februar 24, 2006, 12:20:09 Nachmittag »
There is a hormone on the body called cortisol that is released during stressful situations, hence the name the stress hormone. It helps your body prepare for the "fight or flight" response. When your body perceives danger, in caveman times it would be to run away or fight a threat/wildbeast/dinosaur :wink: . In modern times it sharoens your senses for more benign threats, an exam/important job/etc. A side effect is that it weakens you immune sysytem, rather retards it, as stated by our angel. It is also raised in individuals that have depression. Oddly enough you can help your body correct its levels and consequently treat depression with sleep deprivation.

Just some nuggets of knowledge from you friendly neighborhood RN!

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #23 am: Februar 24, 2006, 03:35:54 Nachmittag »
Very interesting, Christopher! Thanks for the nuggets.
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #24 am: Februar 24, 2006, 09:51:14 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
There is a hormone on the body called cortisol that is released during stressful situations, hence the name the stress hormone. It helps your body prepare for the "fight or flight" response. When your body perceives danger, in caveman times it would be to run away or fight a threat/wildbeast/dinosaur :wink: . In modern times it sharoens your senses for more benign threats, an exam/important job/etc. A side effect is that it weakens you immune sysytem, rather retards it, as stated by our angel. It is also raised in individuals that have depression. Oddly enough you can help your body correct its levels and consequently treat depression with sleep deprivation.

Just some nuggets of knowledge from you friendly neighborhood RN!

O_o  Oh man, one thing that would be soooo unethical to do to my future clients.  But that won't stop me from trying it on myself if I ever develop depression.  Though that's probably not a GOOD thing to do...But then, depressed people will often sleep ALOT more than the average...hrm...

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #25 am: Februar 24, 2006, 10:35:46 Nachmittag »
But then, depressed people will often sleep ALOT more than the average...hrm...

Unless they are the unfortunate ones who also suffer from insomnia ;)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #26 am: Februar 24, 2006, 11:01:12 Nachmittag »
Ugh.  Insomnia.  *twitch*

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #27 am: Februar 26, 2006, 04:11:00 Vormittag »
Actually it is a form of therapy, and all you need is like one night of missed sleep to start to see an effect and reset your cortiisol levels. It would not be unethical to do so.