Autor Thema: Other bands of interest: Revisisted?  (Gelesen 19966 mal)

okkultiis

• Gast
Other bands of interest: Revisisted?
« am: Juni 07, 2006, 07:49:44 Nachmittag »
I'm pretty sure I seen this topic on here awhile ago but anyway I searched for it and havent found it so I thought I would start it up again.

What other bands are "similiar" or would be of interest to fans of Falconer/mithotyn.  Im gonna try to stay away from more popular bands such as Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, FInntroll, as everyone has heard of them, so please dont list bands like that.

Storyteller - I only have one album, Storyteller, but some of their work is amazing, Must check outs are songs Power Within, the Storyteller, Chant of the Thieves.  They are very folk influenced, fans of falconer should really check them out, specially since falconer has a link to them!

Avantasia - This is a power metal super group, the Metal Opera I is ok, but the Metal Opera II is an amazing album, the song the Seven Angels is a must hear, its a truly epic song.

Elvenking - This band has some amazing melodies in their guitar work, Heathenreel is the album, stand out songs are Pagan Purity, Dweller of Rhymes, Oakenshield.  If Elves were to make epic power metal, this would be it!

Freternia - I believe they have a few albums out but the one I have is Warchants and Fairytales.  Two stand out songs are Dragonsong and Woods of the Elvenking.

Ensiferum - I believe they are becoming more well known but they are an excellent band. I wish I had more than one album of theirs because songs like Eternal Wait and the Battle Song fill my head and I sing them all day.

Falkenbach - One man band who creates epic folk metal, no doubt the best one man band out therre (better and more epic than Bathorys hammerheart) Walhall, the Heathenish Foray, Towards the Halls of Brozen Shields are songs of interest.

Korpiklaani - Go to youtube.com and do a search on this band, their videos are cool and the songs are kick ass, songs like Wooden Pints, Beer Beer, Man Can Go Even Through The Grey Stone.

Wooden Pints
 "There's men, underground
Who have never seen the sun
But they really know how to party

The rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance 'till the morning"

Beer Beer
"Beer, beer
I want beer
from beer I get really drunk
Beer, beer
I need more beer
so much I pass out"

They make you wanna drink beer and dance around like little elf/goblin/dwarf beings lol

Einherjer - A lot of you may or may not heard of this band, but is one of the best "viking" folk metal bands out there.  With songs like ballad of swords, ODIN OWNS YE ALL, Remember Tokk and Home they are easily one of my favorite bands.  I prefer their "softer" folk side than their heavier black metal folk side.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Juni 07, 2006, 08:31:45 Nachmittag »
Lots of good tips there, mate!

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Juni 07, 2006, 11:53:59 Nachmittag »
Vintersorg and Otyg - Vintersorg is a great folk-singer and one of his projects Otyg is definately worth trying.
Moonsorrow - More finnish metal. Much like Ensiferum.
Månegarm - Hard rocking folk, highly recommended
Amon Amarth - Even harder rocking folk

okkultiis

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Juni 08, 2006, 04:29:24 Vormittag »
I love those bands listed, specially Amon Amarth.  

Another one in the vein of Amon Amarth/Moonsorrow is Thyrfing, they do a cover of Over the Hills and Far Away which is badass.

Helheim also might be another to check out if you like the heavier bands like Amon Amarth/Moonsorrow/Manegarm.

If you like Lord of the Rings you have to check out Rivendell, another one man band that makes folk music directly inspired from LotR.  Songs to listen to would be the Song of Eldamar and Mithrandir, I believe the song of Eldamar is a poem that was writen by Tolkien.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Juni 08, 2006, 07:34:57 Vormittag »
I think one band that is worth mentioning here is Therion, Sweden's second best metal act if you ask me. (megatherion.com) Not the same thing as Falconer, but very folkish and very special.
A little warning to those of you who cannot stand opera, though.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Juni 09, 2006, 03:27:16 Vormittag »
Just a small point of contention: Avantasia isn't a band.  Avantasia is a project that Tobias Sammet orchestrated.  ;)  Now that that's out of the way, I'd DEFINITELY agree that everyone should get The Metal Opera I & II.  Absolutely brilliant!

Band I would suggest (and I think I've mentioned them before):  Heimdall  They're excellent, and IMO underrated power metal from Italy.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Juni 09, 2006, 02:47:41 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"

Band I would suggest (and I think I've mentioned them before):  Heimdall  They're excellent, and IMO underrated power metal from Italy.

Ahh, don't you just love mediteranian viking metal?? Just like the Spanish band Runic, shit that's crappy... did you know that there's even a viking band from Chile? Sigh...

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Juni 09, 2006, 09:31:19 Nachmittag »
Really??? O_o that's weird.

J-Roc

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: Juni 10, 2006, 04:31:24 Vormittag »
One band DEFINITELY worth mentioning is Glorious Janitors. they are sadly, extremley hard to find anywhere ( based out of Abbotsford, BC....).  The only place i have ever been able to find them is on epic rock radio. There song "Betrayal on the Spanis Main" has been 1st on the requsets for as long as I can remember ( at least a year). In short, Glorious Janitors pwns

Liszasabi

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: Juni 11, 2006, 10:13:39 Vormittag »
Therion is band which may be worth to hear, its not another pseudo black-power metal band. But I guess most ppl already know Therion.
You can get some of their samples on their official site in extras

You might try Nightwish band too. It is some kind of rather not heavy opera metal. Some people like my brother might enjoy it

Mindtraveller

• Gast
Re: Other bands of interest: Revisisted?
« Antwort #10 am: Juni 11, 2006, 07:56:41 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "okkultiis"
What other bands [...] would be of interest to fans of Falconer

(The Lord Weird) Slough Feg

miked79

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: Juni 12, 2006, 11:49:08 Nachmittag »
ahhh thanks for posting, some pretty good stuff there!

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: Juni 13, 2006, 07:21:58 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Liszasabi"
Therion is band which may be worth to hear, its not another pseudo black-power metal band. But I guess most ppl already know Therion.
You can get some of their samples on their official site in extras

Black-power metal? Is that a new genre? I hope it's got nothing to do with blackmetal, because Therion is certainly not in that genre.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: Juni 13, 2006, 08:30:30 Vormittag »
Yeah, I always considered Therion to be symphonic metal.  Well, except for their earliest stuff.  Their earliest stuff is death metal, yes?

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: Juni 13, 2006, 04:53:20 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
Yeah, I always considered Therion to be symphonic metal.  Well, except for their earliest stuff.  Their earliest stuff is death metal, yes?

I think that's the most appropriate expression, yes. A bit like Falconer, yet not.