Autor Thema: NORTHWIND Cover Design  (Gelesen 11391 mal)

Prab

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« am: Juli 29, 2006, 10:04:33 Vormittag »
I searched on Google for the new cover artwork and found one pic for it on www.vampster.com

But neiter the official site nor the site of Jan Meininghaus (cover artist of the previous albums) does show this picture.

But here it is - what do you guys think?

Radagast

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 29, 2006, 11:02:58 Vormittag »
Its a little unusual (but then, so was GvG) isn't it? I'll need to wait to see a full-sized, non-blurry version.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #2 am: Juli 29, 2006, 04:58:09 Nachmittag »
Ditto to what Radagast said, + I kind of like it.

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #3 am: Juli 29, 2006, 08:54:19 Nachmittag »
Ahm... is this for real or is it just fanart? Seems weird to me that the official cover artwork would show up first on such a random website. Stefan?

J-Roc

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #4 am: Juli 30, 2006, 04:13:18 Vormittag »
Its certainly not what I expected, but i kinda like it.

Vonn

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #5 am: Juli 30, 2006, 08:32:25 Nachmittag »
I like the idea of the old "mascot" from the first album, but I think some things are out of order in it. Like the logo should be farther in the top-left corner, maybe even over the boarder. Not much, just soem minor changes. And I agree that it seems odd that cover art would show up at some random website before it's released from a more realiable source. I think an answer is in order Stefan :D

-Vonn

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #6 am: Juli 30, 2006, 09:37:01 Nachmittag »
I doubt whether this is actually the real cover.

It does look nice in a way, but not nearly as good as the earlier ones. I would expect something better and more epic from an album that celebrates the return of Falconer to their erstwhile musical glory.

It looks kind of like several pieces thrown together. It does not quite work as a cohesive painting. There's the band logo, the falconer from the first album (great idea, by the way) and the falcon (now flying free, great idea also), then there's a sword, a... helmet? Dunno, can't quite make that one out. Then there's a house... with bright colors that do not work with the rest of the picture. The decorative structures in the corners look... okay but not great. The writing of "Northwind" looks merely mediocre. But then, I too would have to see it in full size to pass a final judgement.

If this really is the album cover, alright, its not bad, but compared to the earlier cover paintings, it lacks the epic strength, the cohesiveness (is that a word?) of its predecessors. I was looking forward to something more powerful and... for the third time and lack of a better word - cohesive.

Yeah... Stefan?  :lol:

The Black Knight

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #7 am: Juli 31, 2006, 09:38:38 Vormittag »
The cover is the official one.
You find it in a bit better quality here: http://www.bravewords.com/news/48176

To me, the Northwind cover is not the best one of Falconer's five album covers, but it beats the GvG cover by miles.

Stefan W

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #8 am: Juli 31, 2006, 04:38:11 Nachmittag »
I think it looks good, not the best one we've had.
It fits the title song quite good although it might look a bit lame to some.
Then you should have seen the first version, ha ha.

Anyway, it's just a cover.

Cheerio!!!

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #9 am: Juli 31, 2006, 05:36:02 Nachmittag »
This cover is the bloodiest Falconer has had, that's for sure.  :shock:

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #10 am: Juli 31, 2006, 06:15:09 Nachmittag »
Well the basic idea is not bad, it's actually damn good. The Falconer from the first album is back (as is Mathias) and the falcon is now flying free just as the old powerful music is unleashed again.

That's awesome. But the elements just do not work that well together. For instance: what is that axe doing there? Is it leaning on his leg?

The top right corner looks great And the rest should have been more like it. Why is so much space consumed by this house that is much too bright and does not tell me anything?

Okay so that's the cover. A little disappointing compared to the earlier masterpieces, but okay. It's the music that counts and I'm sure it's among the best you guys have done.

Just let me do the cover painting next time, okay?  :wink:

Stefan W

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #11 am: Juli 31, 2006, 06:24:03 Nachmittag »
As I said before when you read the lyric you understand more of the cover.
It's about a Viking who leaves his bloody past behind him and returns home.

Hope that cleared some things.

I actually didn't have any good idea on how to make a cover of the title track so I let the painter decide.
The idea I had was a viking standing in the front of a viking ship in a thunder storm, and that´s just patheticly cliché.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #12 am: Juli 31, 2006, 09:20:22 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Stefan W"
The idea I had was a viking standing in the front of a viking ship in a thunder storm, and that´s just patheticly cliché.

That would have been awesome! :mrgreen: :P

Oh well, I just wish we could see a bigger version. Now that you mention the idea behind the art, it looks much much better. ;)

Radagast

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #13 am: Juli 31, 2006, 11:46:07 Nachmittag »
Maybe this is the place where the guy from the first album cover was riding to on his Metal pony? :D

Maximus

• Gast
NORTHWIND Cover Design
« Antwort #14 am: August 01, 2006, 04:11:13 Vormittag »
I'm liking it.

The border thing is cool, and the art is unique for an album cover, but also works well, which is a good thing.

However in case you reconsider I have created a more cliche Viking style cover if you want to use it to get the message across a bit clearer.