Autor Thema: Is "Home of the Knave" Anti-American?  (Gelesen 23285 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Is "Home of the Knave" Anti-American?
« Antwort #30 am: September 12, 2006, 06:30:56 Nachmittag »
Zitat
What's wrong with the German culture? They got some really good beer and good ol' greasy food. And David Hasselhoff.

Yeahhhh...the German obsession with Hasslehoff is mind-boggling.  As far as I'm concerned, the Germans can keep him. ;)

I do love beer and brats, though!  One of my favorite foods.  :D

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #31 am: September 12, 2006, 06:36:17 Nachmittag »
LOL
That silly billy is a real treat!

One more good thing about Germany is "In extremo", a very nice folk-metal band. Very good actually. Except for the language (:lol:), and especially when they try to sing in Swedish. Arrgh!

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #32 am: September 12, 2006, 06:40:20 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "sed_awk"

(...)
 I am concerned with the “crusade” remark because it is the same reference used by the Arab world toward the US.  
(...)
My other concern is that this song is implying that all Americans are knaves.  Once again; you move into dangerous territory when you typecast a group of people in a single description(...)

Notice something? ;)

Zitat

It certainly spent plottnig about conquering or spreading our belief systems across the globe.   It couldn’t be farther from the fact.

But that is just what the metapher of a "crusade" matches - and it does not say that all people who were made to go to Iraq and fight there where of the opinion that they had to spread their ethics and ideas to the other end of the world. But somebody thought so and decided against the United Nations' decision to enter military actions.

You have some good points there and it is nice to see reasonable discussion about this topic, but I think the interpretation you achieved there is a little over the top. Don't get everything in that way so easily... Just my 0.02 €.

edit: Yeah, as usual, I'm a little late.. <sigh> sorry. ;)
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #33 am: September 13, 2006, 10:04:43 Vormittag »
Zitat
Zitat von: "Radagast"
Regarding the second part - how exactly does the US attemp to "destroy the European cultures"? If people from European nations embrace (what you perceive as) negative aspects of American culture isn't that their own problem?

Ever since WW2 we in europe have been blessed by the yankee saviors. The occupation of Germany and France and their continued presence in our lands during many years have infested our countries with their rotten culture. If they really wanted to help "the oppressed masses of Germany and Europe" they would have dethroned Hitler and gone home.

I'm sorry but that's just xenophobia. Didn't they go home after Hitler was removed? Its not like they left military battalions in Europe after World War II. The only Americans in Europe are individual people who have chosen to move there. Do you want to forcibly remove them or something?

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #34 am: September 13, 2006, 10:20:31 Vormittag »
A week left to release and there is already an argue referring to a song on the album.
I wonder what kind of a debate "Delusion" will start...

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #35 am: September 13, 2006, 11:18:39 Vormittag »
Zitat
Regarding the second part - how exactly does the US attemp to "destroy the European cultures"? If people from European nations embrace (what you perceive as) negative aspects of American culture isn't that their own problem?

Ever since WW2 we in europe have been blessed by the yankee saviors. The occupation of Germany and France and their continued presence in our lands during many years have infested our countries with their rotten culture. If they really wanted to help "the oppressed masses of Germany and Europe" they would have dethroned Hitler and gone home.

I'm sorry but that's just xenophobia. Didn't they go home after Hitler was removed? Its not like they left military battalions in Europe after World War II. The only Americans in Europe are individual people who have chosen to move there. Do you want to forcibly remove them or something?

Ok, that's not true. Have you ever heard of East and West Germany? Yes, there was a lot of American military present in Europe in many years after the war.

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #36 am: September 13, 2006, 12:40:12 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Black Knight"
A week left to release and there is already an argue referring to a song on the album.

Yeah, dude, you're right.
But hey, as long as people discuss about these topics you can see that the new songs are really thought provoking.
It's healthy advertisment I'd say.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #37 am: September 13, 2006, 12:50:19 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Prab"
Zitat von: "The Black Knight"

Yeah, dude, you're right.
But hey, as long as people discuss about these topics you can see that the new songs are really thought provoking.
It's healthy advertisment I'd say.

Quite true, good sir Prab!

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #38 am: September 13, 2006, 01:42:26 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "jakob_hasse"
Zitat

Ok, that's not true. Have you ever heard of East and West Germany? Yes, there was a lot of American military present in Europe in many years after the war.

Yes, just as there were British and French forces occupying Germany too. Do you think Europe would have coped better in the aftermath of the war if all military forces were immediately pulled out? Keeping of the peace and restoration of order in the aftermath of a war requires military supervision. Also, do you think we would have recovered quite so well without the billions of dollars the US contributed to reconstruction?

I'm not a lover of all things America by any means, but man you've got a serious chip on your shoulder to hate a country and its people quite so much,

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #39 am: September 13, 2006, 04:30:35 Nachmittag »
And most importantly: There is no German obserssion with David Hasselhoff. Complete chliché. I do not know a single person who likes him.

And Radagast is quite correct. The allied forces *needed* to remain in Germany after WW2 because otherwise, chaos and anarchy would have swept all over the land. Or the Nazis could have taken control again and organized some kind of rebellion. It was absolutely neccessary to have military supervision to make sure the country can be rebuilt and the Nazi movement is annihilated. And that was a job well done by America.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #40 am: September 13, 2006, 05:51:27 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "<Horus-Nikopol>"
And most importantly: There is no German obserssion with David Hasselhoff. Complete chliché. I do not know a single person who likes him.

And Radagast is quite correct. The allied forces *needed* to remain in Germany after WW2 because otherwise, chaos and anarchy would have swept all over the land. Or the Nazis could have taken control again and organized some kind of rebellion. It was absolutely neccessary to have military supervision to make sure the country can be rebuilt and the Nazi movement is annihilated. And that was a job well done by America.

Beautiful, you're a standing example of their favourite "de-nazified" germans, you must be really proud of yourself and so is your once so beautiful country.

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #41 am: September 13, 2006, 07:03:33 Nachmittag »
Germany is still beautiful. It has become beautiful - again. When do 'you' think it was beautiful? When swastikas were hanging from every building? Or when the country lay in ruins? I'm having difficulties following your reasoning.

And please try to be less rude, I don't insult you for your opinion either. And btw, I am by no means an uncritical, European purely American-loyal idiot. I am very critical of the current US government (Me and friends of mine are actually involved in a comedy project that is really the ultimate Bush mockery) and I am very aware that the US have messed up big time at several occasions in history.

But so has every country. And it should not make you blind towards the achievements that were also made. Because otherwise you're as one-dimensional as the idiots who run the white house right now.

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #42 am: September 13, 2006, 07:33:46 Nachmittag »
Didn't they go home after Hitler was removed? Its not like they left military battalions in Europe after World War II. The only Americans in Europe are individual people who have chosen to move there. Do you want to forcibly remove them or something?

I think that there is a large american army camp near the city of Kaiserslautern. If my memory does not betray me I'm pretty sure that many thousands of americans live there. The US-Italy game in the World Cup was played there and most of the audience were americans.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #43 am: September 13, 2006, 07:47:45 Nachmittag »
@Black Knight:  Delusion is one of my favorite songs on the album.   :)  "Will stupidity get canonized?" I've often asked myself the same thing.   However, despite the fact that I have a leaked copy on my computer, I am still quite eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered copy from Metalblade.  I'm absolutely salivating.  

@Radagast and Horus:  Thank you for merely stating the truth.  I have been staying out of this discussion because it doesn't matter what I say, it's unlikely that I would be believed.  But it appears neither of you are much believed either.  Also, I'm not very good at the debating. :(  But again, this American appreciates it. :)

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #44 am: September 13, 2006, 09:08:51 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "<Horus-Nikopol>"

Damnation! I thought I was right about something in this cursed thread! Argh!

Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
@Black Knight:  Delusion is one of my favorite songs on the album.   :)  "Will stupidity get canonized?" I've often asked myself the same thing.   However, despite the fact that I have a leaked copy on my computer, I am still quite eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered copy from Metalblade.  I'm absolutely salivating.

You have a leaked copy!? Then you shall die! *swings two-handed sword and misses by 2 meters*