Autor Thema: Is "Home of the Knave" Anti-American?  (Gelesen 23297 mal)

Mindtraveller

• Gast
Is "Home of the Knave" Anti-American?
« Antwort #75 am: September 16, 2006, 06:37:08 Nachmittag »
I think that the main problem is that sometimes generalizations are seen as something that strips something from the unique individual traits that it might possess. This is not true, a generalization has that name precisely because it shows the general characteristics that something possess, without limiting it to those. Saying "Nigerian people are black" is a generalization that merely points out that the average Nigerian person has black colored skin, it doesn't try to claim that every and each Nigerian person is black, or that they are nothing but black. This is simply pointing out a general reality.

I think by now that the problem lies in the very concept of generalization. It seems that a lot of people do not understand that a generalization needs to have valid logic in order to be correct and functional, there seems to be a lot of misinformation. The problem is that many people think that generalizing is the same as this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization

As you can see, that is nothing but a collection of logical fallacies, they don't follow a truly logical model. To reach valid generalizations one needs large and diverse samples from which to gather data.

A generalization does not pretend to limit its subject, nor claim that all of the individuals have to be the same, it's nothing but an average.

A hasty / faulty generalization will pretend to limit its subject, and claim that all of the individuals have to be the same, it's nothing but a fallacy.

By now it should be pretty clear that there is a big difference between the two approaches. It's just like if in the first example, people were talking about Metal and mentioned Iron Maiden and Falconer, while in the second example, they would mention Korn and Limp Bizkit. Now tell me, wouldn't you be frustrated if someone told you over and over that Metal is made by the latter bands instead of the former, all because they are misinformed and will tell you that Metal is like Linkin Park? I guess most of you would agree that those bands are not representative of Metal because they are not Metal at all, or at best, they are faulty Metal....

Guess that now you know how I feel when I can't seem to get the point across about what constitutes a valid generalization. ;)

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #76 am: September 16, 2006, 06:50:20 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Spawnie"
we all think, feel, and LOVE in the same basic way.

Here you have it people. A good example of a valid generalization; Humans think, feel, love, hate in the same basic way. This behaviour has been observed and is a general characteristic of humanity.

It should be pretty obvious that this does not mean that everyone feels the same, loves the same things, and thinks alike. But for some reason, when talking about generalizing, some think that the above example is trying to do exactly that.

Zitat von: "Metalmaiden"
We need to be respectful of our differences, but we need to celebrate our commonalities

And here's another example. Those commonalities are what valid generalizations might show within an specific group. They do not pretend to make the differences disappear, they merely point out the common, average, general things that said group possesses.

Spawnie

• Gast
« Antwort #77 am: September 16, 2006, 06:57:18 Nachmittag »
As I walked away from the pc after writing that first post I started to wonder if people would get what I was attempting to put across or if I was going to sound the opposite of what I was trying to say.

I am AWFUL at putting my thoughts into words, so I normally keep my mouth shut, but I felt what what I posted needed to be put out there.

I ment no offence by it, we are all entitled to our opinoins.

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #78 am: September 17, 2006, 12:12:35 Vormittag »
Spawnie- You did fine, it is hard to convey meaning sometimes over the internet simply by the fact that it is only written words. In person you would be able to communicate in other ways- body language and tone, which add to the over all expeience of communication. That is one of the reasons for emoticons. Humans use a lot more than just words to communicate. I will say again you did fine. :banger2:  and I know....... :offtopic:  :mrgreen:

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #79 am: September 17, 2006, 02:23:40 Vormittag »
MIndtraveller- after thinking about it for a while, I think I now get your point as you intended. I will elaborate if you want, but I think enough has been said in this thread, just wanted to say I see your point a little clearer.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #80 am: September 17, 2006, 02:33:17 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
MIndtraveller- after thinking about it for a while, I think I now get your point as you intended. I will elaborate if you want, but I think enough has been said in this thread, just wanted to say I see your point a little clearer.

Thanks, man. There's no need to elaborate really, if you feel like the point I'm trying to make is clear by now, then that should be enough.

Spawnie

• Gast
« Antwort #81 am: September 17, 2006, 03:10:51 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
Spawnie- You did fine, it is hard to convey meaning sometimes over the internet simply by the fact that it is only written words. In person you would be able to communicate in other ways- body language and tone, which add to the over all expeience of communication. That is one of the reasons for emoticons. Humans use a lot more than just words to communicate. I will say again you did fine. :banger2:  and I know....... :offtopic:  :mrgreen:

Thanks.  :D