Autor Thema: 2004  (Gelesen 7018 mal)

Radagast

• Gast
« am: November 26, 2004, 05:20:06 Nachmittag »
Right, since it's gone a little quiet around here, and since 2004 has been a year without a Falconer release, what was everyone's opinions on Metal this year?

My top 3 albums were (probably)

DargonForce, Sonic Firestorm
Therion, Lemuria
Nightwish, Once

(Edguy's Hellfire Club might sneak in there instead of Once)

Most disapointing:

Primal Fear, Devil's Ground
Rhapsody, Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II
Megadeth, The System Has Failed

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: November 26, 2004, 06:48:03 Nachmittag »
Let's see, some comments on your choices...

Dragonforce - I don't like them, they are too "flowery" for my tastes.

Nightwish - I hate this band.

Therion - Both albums were nice surprises; some filler here and there, but most songs are excellent. The inclusion of Mats Levén on vocals on some tracks was a great idea that brought Therion a much needed return to "metallic" form. Blood of Kingu is probably one of the best songs they've written in a while.

I haven't heard the new Edguy, Primal Fear, Rhapsody and Megadeth, but I do like all the bands to a certain extent.

As for what I got this year, some short thoughts:

Fireign - Promo
This is some thrashened melodic extreme metal, not very different from many "Gothenburg" bands. Honestly, they're not my cup of tea.

Hail Planktön - Promo
Weird stuff, sometimes going semi thrash, others speed, heavy, black, etc. It has some potential, but it's weak overall.

Devil in the Kitchen - Demo / Live and Wizard's Walk EP
Great folk / speed metal from the US. The lead fiddle is really good and the songs are quite fun. The only thing these guys are missing is a better / more professional production, but they are very good at the moment anyway.

Demonoid - Riders of the Apocalypse
Not as good as I expected, but still a fine album. It took a while to grow on me (it still is), but it is sounding increasingly better with each listen. I just wish they would concentrate on better riffs and improve the songwriting a little. The atmosphere is very nice though.

Stormwarrior - Northern Rage
Their debut was probably the best Speed Metal album I've heard in a long time, and a personal favorite. This second offering is not as strong, and I still have some listening to do, but so far it looks like a solid release.

That's about it, didn't get much this year. :)

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: November 26, 2004, 10:34:47 Nachmittag »
Ask me that question in January, ok? There are still some releases I'm waiting for.

Greetz,

Tex

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: November 28, 2004, 07:32:25 Nachmittag »
Nightwish - Once
DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm
Cans - Beyond the Gates

Most disappointing?

I'd have to agree about Primal Fear's newest.  I've listened to it once, and that's it. :(  I'm not sure what else is disappointing, since my access to GOOD metal is very limited.  I buy what I can, when I can find it, and it isn't always the latest releases.  Though my Nightwish Discography is now complete. :)

What releases is everyone looking forward to for 2005?  Personally, I'm all a-twitter about HammerFall's upcoming release.  I can't wait for it to come out! :)

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: November 28, 2004, 08:35:51 Nachmittag »
One of my friends who LOVES HammerFall was disappointed with Cans' album. He said Elmgren's FullStrike were excellent though.

Other bands with albums out this year that I'm keen on were 3 Inches of Blood and Sonata Arctica. Agree with Mindtraveller on Stormwarrior:
"Odinn's warr-i-ors!!!"
what a chorus. :D

Mas

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Dezember 02, 2004, 09:24:44 Vormittag »
i think my album top 3 for this year is

Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Angra - Temple of Shadows
DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm

The Blacksmith

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Dezember 08, 2004, 11:41:38 Vormittag »
I must say:

Persuader - Evolution Purgatory
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Nightwish - Once
and Blind Guardians Live DVD

Arthyron

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 11:18:30 Nachmittag »
Hmm, lots of great releases this year.  I honestly cannot remember if some of the albums I picked up this year were from this year or  2003, but I'll do my best:

Nightwish -- Once

Sonata Arctica -- Reckoning Night

Therion -- Lemuria

Therion -- Sirius B

Rhapsody -- Symphony of Enchanted Lands Part 2: The Dark Secret

Amon Amarth -- The Fate of Norns

Dragonforce -- Sonic Firestorm

Shaman -- Fairytale

On a side note, what does 3 inches of blood sound like, and stormrage as well, I've heard both names but haven't ever gotten a chance to listen to them.  The biggest thing to me in a band is the vocals (as I'm a singer myself), so what are the vocal like mainly?

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: Dezember 21, 2004, 07:37:38 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Arthyron"
On a side note, what does 3 inches of blood sound like?

Three Inches of Blood started as a mallcore band (read: nu-rock), then switched to "traditional" metal.

Personally I dislike the band, they don't sound "real" to me; kinda contrived. There are two vocalists (if I remember correctly), one doing a screamy-hardcore type of thing, and the other trying to emulate Rob Halford / King Diamond, but really sucking at it.

I would not recommend them, but you should at least try to listen to one song or two and making up your own mind, as I know there are many others who actually think the band is quite good.

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: Dezember 23, 2004, 01:50:13 Vormittag »
Ha ha, well that's your opinion so fair enough.  8)

Personally I like 3IoB and I think they take a bit too much criticism for no other reason than being young and not European (also the fact that they inked a contract with the Satan of record companies....Roadrunner). Although I agree the metalcore vocals do grate a bit sometimes.

Stormwarrior are just pure fucking power metal simple as that. :metal:

Metal

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: Dezember 23, 2004, 06:53:11 Nachmittag »
Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm
Amon Amarth - The Fate Of Norns
Turisas - Battle Metal