Autor Thema: himmel så trind  (Gelesen 7745 mal)

Sol

• Gast
himmel så trind
« Antwort #15 am: September 24, 2006, 12:32:40 Nachmittag »
Zitat
round as an arch, arcade or vault, like the cealing in a church... I really don't know and exact English translation. It appears as usual in contrast to common belief that the nordic languages in fact have more words than English, but much fewer are used daily.

Thank you!
There is such a small nuance but it is useful.
I am totally lost indeed now...
At first I've decided that it is "trind" because of being full of thick clouds.
But You advice that it is like a church arch...
Well. Could it be for example "endless" or "infinite"? I suppose could not be but just for sure)
I cannot decide what meaning to use.
"Trind" like "rounded  or thick because full of clouds" or this your item "trind" like "rounded like an arch"...[/quote]

jakob_hasse

• Gast
himmel så trind
« Antwort #16 am: September 24, 2006, 06:26:40 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Sol"
Zitat
round as an arch, arcade or vault, like the cealing in a church... I really don't know and exact English translation. It appears as usual in contrast to common belief that the nordic languages in fact have more words than English, but much fewer are used daily.

Thank you!
There is such a small nuance but it is useful.
I am totally lost indeed now...
At first I've decided that it is "trind" because of being full of thick clouds.
But You advice that it is like a church arch...
Well. Could it be for example "endless" or "infinite"? I suppose could not be but just for sure)
I cannot decide what meaning to use.
"Trind" like "rounded  or thick because full of clouds" or this your item "trind" like "rounded like an arch"...
[/quote]

We have the word trind in Danish as well, so of course I can only tell you about the Danish meaning, I would be surprised though, if it were different from the Swedish.
In Danish trind refers to the shape of the, in this case, heaven, which has sort of the same shape as a church arch. I don't know anything about any thickness, that's is in any case not part of the Danish meaning of the word.

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
himmel så trind
« Antwort #17 am: September 25, 2006, 05:07:41 Nachmittag »
Trind in Swedish means rounded. The reasons to why trind is used in this context is that the clouds form a sort of arch, they are closing in, so to say. But to describe the sky as "trind" is not normal in Swedish. It is only a poetical way to describe it, which perhaps Falconer have made up themselves...

Sol

• Gast
himmel så trind
« Antwort #18 am: September 25, 2006, 06:26:50 Nachmittag »
Thank You very much for the help
Finally I¨ve chosen the suitable word for that in Russian   8)

alejandro power

• Gast
great...
« Antwort #19 am: November 22, 2006, 12:27:29 Vormittag »
GOrgeus guys...

Once again I see the usefulness of Internet, hehehe, I like languages, I study them and teach them, some, just three, and this Swedish is very nice.
I heard Falconer for the first time just some months ago, I've loved the band, and when I heard the songs in native tongue, I really loved them, so it was for me a challenge to know the translation of the song.. the only thing I did in my own, was to translate the title, and I see I got it right, so that's a good point.
It's very interesting to know about other cultures folklore, for me it was very sympathic the fact of finding similarities in our cultures...
Polska is a very famous music round the world... so I think I would have understood it with no trouble, moreover, about your beliefs in Spirits, LET ME TELL you that here in Colombia,  as far as I know, our folklore also has a water and forest spirit.. our forests are not like yours in Europe, we hace jungle, a thick forest, hehe.. here in Colombia, the Forest Spirit is called MADREMONTE, and water spirit is called MADREDEAGUA.. and their function is the same as I can see...

A good translation for these two words would be : MADREMONTE, the lady  of the forest, or MOTHERFOREST, and MADREDEAGUA, the lady of water, or MOTHERWATER...

A last thing... It's very nice to see how folks from different countries have transalated the song... and of course, I also think Falconer is great when showing their own language in songs..

Whatever you need from Spanish-Sung songs, tell me...

:D