Autor Thema: Northwind Reviews  (Gelesen 26095 mal)

Storm

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #60 am: Oktober 11, 2006, 03:06:38 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Prab"
Added one new review - with a rather mixed opinion.

Even though I disagree with some of the things the reviewer writes, I kind of like that kind of reviews anyway. He knows atleast something about metal, and a t least something about Falconer..that is a start...

I strongly dislike the fact that he make it sounds like the only reason Falconer wanted Mathias back was because without him they sold no records...

jakob_hasse

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #61 am: Oktober 11, 2006, 05:02:16 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Storm"
I strongly dislike the fact that he make it sounds like the only reason Falconer wanted Mathias back was because without him they sold no records...

I though that was a big part of it...

Storm

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #62 am: Oktober 11, 2006, 05:54:11 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "jakob_hasse"
Zitat von: "Storm"

I though that was a big part of it...

I thought it was the kind of music that they wanted to play that was the issue...

Stefan W

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #63 am: Oktober 11, 2006, 06:55:48 Nachmittag »
We wanted to play that style because it's my natural style of writing.
Noone does that style better than Mathias of course and we get a better product
Another positive result of have Mathias is that we sell more albums.

Everyone wins if we combine these 3 things.

Storm

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #64 am: Oktober 11, 2006, 07:40:42 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Stefan W"
We wanted to play that style because it's my natural style of writing.
Noone does that style better than Mathias of course and we get a better product
Another positive result of have Mathias is that we sell more albums.

Everyone wins if we combine these 3 things.

Yeah, that's how I thought it was...:)

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #65 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 06:16:27 Nachmittag »
I know it's pathetic that the biggest fan would be the last one to comment on the album, but now that I finally possess the album and have had a few days to let it work its way into my brain - here's my review:

1. The cover artwork
It's the worst Falconer cover ever. Everything looks sorta crammed in there, doesn't make a cohesive picture and there is no space for the eye to rest. The colors are nice, though.

2. The overall design of the digipack and booklet is awesome! The blue and gray fit the title nicely. I'm loving the band photos (plus the ones that are on the website). The pose pictures look cool and powerful, but not as over the top as the GvG ones. A job well done. Some of the pictures are funny or maybe a little self-ironic. Like the one with Mathias fiddling around his costume and Stefan holding that ventilator with that most peculiar look on his face. Cracks me up.

3. In addition with the making of and the "music vid" for Tower, it is great to finally witness some of the real world chemistry within the band AND Mathias. The whole thing finally puts a face and a real person on that voice that you have known for so long. Up til now Mathias had "only" been a great voice but no person one could relate to. That had always been - in my mind - the one advantage Kriss used to have over his predecessor and now successor. Anyway, it's nice to "get to know" Mathias a little.

Now let's get to the music, which is sort of relevant to an album review  :wink:

1. Northwind
The verses and the bridge are very strong and draw me into the atmosphere of the song and the album. Hearing Mathias' voice again is simply fantastic. As a Falconer fan, I feel as "home" with the music like I haven't in a long time. This is Falconer back to their former greatness.
The chorus is pretty weak though. It is too simple and no matter how often I listen to it, it does not grow on me. So even though the verses and bridge kick ass, the rather boring chorus prevents this from being a great opening track.

2. Waltz with the Dead
Sorry, but this is the worst song on the album. It's boring, there are no climaxes in this song. Painfully unspectacular and a bad choice to place this as Nr. 2 after a title track that was itself not entirely gold.

3. Spirit of the Hawk
Finally! This is a killer song that makes me want to blow my speakers! Great lyrics, very powerful, makes me want to found a Church of the Hawk. A worthy successor to "Wings of Serenity" Maybe you should make a medley of the two. In a live performance that would be great!  :twisted:

4. Legend and the Lore
Great medieval feel, enchanting lyrics, Mathias' voice is really magical in this one. I'm loving it!

5. Catch the Shadows
One of the best songs! I like the philosphical content of the lyrics, the chorus is catchy (but not *too* catchy like Emotional Skies) - and the last two parts "as the sun descends..." and especially "the scent of dawn..." are so beautiful, they bring tears to my eyes.

6. Tower of the Queen
Another fantastic song and one of my all-time Falconer favorites already. The classical medieval beginning part has a beautiful melody that increases exponentially in awesomeness as Mathias' divine vocals kick in. I don't care what some people say, this song is gold!

7. Long Gone By
Beautiful ballad, better than Portals of Light. I could listen to this one for hours.

8. Perjury and Sanctity
This is by far the BEST friggin song on the album and quite possible even the best Falconer song ever. I do not say this lightly, because I already have to songs fighting for the "best song throne" in my head (Lord of the Blacksmiths and Sceptre of Deception) and I really don't need another pretender. Still, here it is. The song busts me to the floor (no pun intended) the first second with the powerful riffs and the smashing drums. Mathias is really in his prime here, the melodies are awesome, I love the criticism of religion here, and the German chorus is sooo great, especially where it's all silent in the background and then the organ kicks in and it grows heavier and heavier... ahhh this is gold.

9. Fairlyland Fanfare
When I first read the title, I thought: "Hm, is this the gay cousin of Clarion Call?" But seriously: Funny, happy, romantical song that gives me a good mood instantly. The alliterations are clever and funny - I bet that was a long day with the dictionary, eh, Stefan?  :wink:

10. Himmel Sa Trind
I love the traditional Swedish stuff. Nuff said.

11. Blinded
Great song, but it doesn't have that special something that would make it outstanding like "Spirit...", "Catch..." "Tower..." or "P&S" The chorus is very catchy though, and I think the song will continue to grow on me.

12. Delusion
The second best song on the album and also an instant classic. A lot of criticism of religion respectively abuse of power on this album, very nice. The melodies and the lyrics give me goosebumps and the lyrics of the chorus are propbably the most intelligent ones Stefan has ever written. "Would the Prophet or the Messiah then really welcome you in?" That is my favorite line in Falconer's history.

13. Home of the Knave
I love it how you managed to write a - seemingly - random medieval song that contains a lot of potential for controversy (as seen on the boards) when you think about the allegory. A perfect example how power metal can be about "swords and kings and shit" and still say some very relevant things. Nice job!

14. Black Tarn
Nice. Not great though. And is it just me or does the one part sound exactly like the part from Waltz... where Mathias sings "an illusion of pleasure,  an illusion of pain..."? Is this just a coincidence or did you feel like, heck, this melody is so good, let's use it twice?  :wink:

Okay then there are the other Swedish songs. I like them all, I don't understand a word, but they sound awesome. All I have to say. I especially like the beginning of Ridom, Ridom, that just makes me wanna dance instantly.  :P

So what do I make of this album?

It's a great album. Falconer are back to their erstwhile glory and they even have improved along the way. The lyrics get better with every album and the music and production sound more and more sophisticated. I also embrace the increased use of background instruments like the piano, the organ etc. I would like to hear some more orchestrated stuff and maybe a big choir or two on the next album.

There are several big hits here (Spirit, Catch, Tower, P&S, Delusion) and some that are not that spectatcular and maybe a miss or  two - but when you are given so much unique Falconer music all at once (which I am immensely grateful for), I can easily forgive a few minor mistakes.
My biggest regret is that there are so few songs here that really *rock*. Most songs on the debut album began rocking and hard and still managed to be epic and magical.
The songs on Northwind are pretty much all epic and magical, but tend to be too soft while doing so.

This is "only" the second best Falconer album in my opinion, because it just is not heavy enough. You need more killers like Upon the Grave, Heresy, Wings, Sceptre, etc. Then you can still do softer, happier ones like Catch, Tower, Fairyland etc.
Still, this is one major accomplishment for the band, a great gift for the fans (which will become many more after this album, I am sure) and a piece of wonderful music that will forever be part of the soundtrack of my life.

Thank you, Falconer, for all that!

Oh yeah and my name appears in the booklet.  :cheers: Thanks, Stefan!

Greetings,

The Guy with the Bird Head

PS: You have to record one of your next live gigs and publish a DVD + live CD! I implore you! Pleeeeeaaaaseeee! I'll blackmail Metal Blade if necessary.

PS 2: A little tip from one perfectionist to the other: Next time take the time and have someone (a native speaker would be best) proofread your lyrics for grammatical mistakes. I have noticed that you sometimes employ the third person singular form of verbs when the subject is in fact plural. Like "two lying hollow eyes is staring back", "the troops of doom has left the ground" or now "tunes of mendacity whispers"
Of course music isn't about grammar, but these things can easily be avoided.

The Black Knight

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #66 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 07:03:01 Nachmittag »
Great review, Bird-man!

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #67 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 08:45:59 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "<Horus-Nikopol>"

PS 2: A little tip from one perfectionist to the other: Next time take the time and have someone (a native speaker would be best) proofread your lyrics for grammatical mistakes. I have noticed that you sometimes employ the third person singular form of verbs when the subject is in fact plural. Like "two lying hollow eyes is staring back", "the troops of doom has left the ground" or now "tunes of mendacity whispers"
Of course music isn't about grammar, but these things can easily be avoided.

*raises hand* I volunteer to proof-read!

Hey bird-man, you mind if I post your review on the Myspace page?

jakob_hasse

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #68 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 09:21:22 Nachmittag »
Great review! I especially like the fact that you think perjury and sanctity is the best song... I would agree if Himmel så trind hadn't been on the album as well... Superb song!
I would have liked Long gone by to have been twice as long... A second and third verse would have rocked!

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #69 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 09:44:26 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
Hey bird-man, you mind if I post your review on the Myspace page?

Sure, I'd be honored!  :)

Jakob, I agree, Long Gone By isn't quite long enough.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #70 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 09:54:13 Nachmittag »
There you go sweets!  http://www.myspace.com/falconermusic   It should be under the music player on the page.

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #71 am: Oktober 12, 2006, 09:58:10 Nachmittag »
Thanks, Angel!   :D

Prab

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #72 am: Oktober 13, 2006, 07:25:09 Vormittag »
Well said Birdie :) Great review!

I like "Waltz with the Dead" though :) That song has a sinister and gloomy feeling to it, I feel.

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #73 am: Oktober 13, 2006, 03:15:36 Nachmittag »
I actually think that Waltz with the Dead is one of the five best songs on the album.

About the grammatical mistakes: shouldn't it be "where our Eden lay" in Long Gone By or do you mean something else?

soko

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #74 am: Oktober 14, 2006, 06:41:47 Nachmittag »
Great album, but   fast parts of songs must be faster ,  just like "Perjury And Sanctity" wich is the best song on the album besides "Spirit Of The Hawk"