Autor Thema: Northwind Reviews  (Gelesen 26086 mal)

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #15 am: September 27, 2006, 11:03:55 Nachmittag »
As I stated in the review, some songs had to grow on me as well. But they did! :)
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

w00tstick

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #16 am: September 28, 2006, 12:08:40 Vormittag »
There were a couple parts of the album that sort of irritated me.  I didn't like the V for Vendetta rip-off in fairyland fanfare.  Although a cute Idea, it's not something I felt needed to be in the song.  I hate when the guitarist absolutely has to be involved in every aspect of each song.  Honestly, he composes the songs to center around him and his guitar playing,  Mathias is not nearly utilized enough in the songs.  Mathias tends to come off extremely monotonous in a couple songs and he never soars to the vocal ranges everyone knows he's capable of.

Obviously It's just one persons opinion and I don't hold myself to a  greater intellect than any of you.  Take a look at let us say, Sonata Arctica.  Their first album probably sold more than all of Falconers cd's combined.  Why would you think?  Obviously the music is better and more appealing, it's composed better, and several reasons.  Popularity should provide critical feedback to the band saying "your music is good" or "your music is not".  Falconer has talent as musicians, but Stefans songwriting abilities need a bit of work.

In the song Dillusion: Notice exactly 4 minutes into the song is a beautiful melody of Mathias' voice.  

Or 3:20 in Catch The Shadows:  Perfect example of a perfect utilization of music and mathias.

It's just frustrating to see 10-20 second absolutely beautiful masterpieces in songs, and the rest of the song is uhhh Ish Ish.  I would actually give the album 7-8 because it was quite enjoyable; it had the potential to be perfect if not for the selfishness of the guitarist.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #17 am: September 28, 2006, 12:34:16 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "w00tstick"
There were a couple parts of the album that sort of irritated me.  I didn't like the V for Vendetta rip-off in fairyland fanfare.  Although a cute Idea, it's not something I felt needed to be in the song.  I hate when the guitarist absolutely has to be involved in every aspect of each song.  Honestly, he composes the songs to center around him and his guitar playing,  Mathias is not nearly utilized enough in the songs.  Mathias tends to come off extremely monotonous in a couple songs and he never soars to the vocal ranges everyone knows he's capable of.

Obviously It's just one persons opinion and I don't hold myself to a  greater intellect than any of you.  Take a look at let us say, Sonata Arctica.  Their first album probably sold more than all of Falconers cd's combined.  Why would you think?  Obviously the music is better and more appealing, it's composed better, and several reasons.  Popularity should provide critical feedback to the band saying "your music is good" or "your music is not".  Falconer has talent as musicians, but Stefans songwriting abilities need a bit of work.

In the song Dillusion: Notice exactly 4 minutes into the song is a beautiful melody of Mathias' voice.  

Or 3:20 in Catch The Shadows:  Perfect example of a perfect utilization of music and mathias.

It's just frustrating to see 10-20 second absolutely beautiful masterpieces in songs, and the rest of the song is uhhh Ish Ish.  I would actually give the album 7-8 because it was quite enjoyable; it had the potential to be perfect if not for the selfishness of the guitarist.

The all dominating guitar is just Falconer's style. I think in fact it is less extreme on this album than the first two, where eg. in "enter the glade" the guitar plays "advanced melody" (or whatever it was, karl called it) during the whole song... btw, I like it like that, kind of as in mithotyn.

The Black Knight

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #18 am: September 28, 2006, 12:35:25 Vormittag »
Sorry, but I can't agree with you there, mate (w00tstick). I'd really like to hear what you say about the first two albums with Mathias though.

IMO Mathias' voice and interaction with the music has never been this good. The different elements (all the instruments, melodies, solos, singing etc) are more dynamic than ever. The energy is utterly fantastic.

As a matter of fact I did not dare to hope that Northwind would be as good as the first two albums, as they've been the two best albums in my collection. Absolutely classics. Therefor I was really startled that after listening to Northwind for a month (like a hundred times), I suddenly felt that something was suddenly missing in those two albums.  Don't misunderstand me - they're still absolute classics and I praise the day I found out about them and all the joy they bring to me. But I now dare to say that I think Northwind is above even them. Totally honest.

Just had to let that out. Because it still startles me.  :)

Mindtraveller

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #19 am: September 28, 2006, 12:48:18 Vormittag »
Still listening to the album, so I don't have a well formed opinion yet. However, there were a couple of things, that feel like I should comment on.

Obviously It's just one persons opinion and I don't hold myself to a  greater intellect than any of you.  Take a look at let us say, Sonata Arctica.  Their first album probably sold more than all of Falconers cd's combined.  Why would you think?  Obviously the music is better and more appealing, it's composed better, and several reasons.

The fact that a band / artist / entertainer sells more than another is in no way an indicator of how good the music is or isn't. If such were the case, an entertainer like Britney Spears would be providing some of the best quality music out there. To not go too far away from the realm of rock, let's take Slipknot, who most likely have sold more albums than Falconer and Sonata Arctica combined. If we ask ourselves why this is, and our answer is like the one you gave above, it would be a good idea to reevaluate our stance.

Popularity should provide critical feedback to the band saying "your music is good" or "your music is not".

To have a logical fallacy (appeal to popularity) as a critical element that provides feedback to determine whether something is good or bad is a doomed premise. Alleging that "If many believe the earth is flat, it is flat" is failed logic, and it shouldn't be -in any way or manner- applied as a measurement for quality (even less for artistic value).

Notice that I'm not bashing your opinion, you are free to think and feel as you like about the music. This is just to point out certain elements that you are using to back up your thoughts  do not make much sense,

Zitat von: "jakob_hasse"
The all dominating guitar is just Falconer's style.

Well, maybe, but truth be told, I thought it was a well known thing that Metal -as a genre- is guitar driven music.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #20 am: September 28, 2006, 08:33:12 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Mindtraveller"
Well, maybe, but truth be told, I thought it was a well known thing that Metal -as a genre- is guitar driven music.

Well, I didn't just talk about "guitar"-driven music, but if you e.g. take Sonata Artica the guitar is not nearly as dominant as in Falconer, mainly because they have all sorts of synthesisers and crap all the time.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #21 am: September 28, 2006, 08:50:37 Vormittag »
Yeah, I'm agreeing with you here, my previous comment was kinda like an add-on to go even further, I mean, the guy says he doesn't like how the compositions are guitar-centered, hence my post.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #22 am: September 28, 2006, 02:22:09 Nachmittag »

You know what Mathias says in a video message from the band? That during the recordings for this album he had to stretch his voice in a way he never did before. Think about it...

Zitat

I disagree. :)

Zitat

You mean 'Delusion'?

Zitat

Sorry, cannot follow your arguments, nope. I don't see or hear what you mean.
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

Prab

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #23 am: September 28, 2006, 04:52:32 Nachmittag »
The opening post will now be edited everytime I find a link to a new review on the net or somebody posts one.

w00tstick

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #24 am: September 29, 2006, 05:22:42 Vormittag »
I had a difficult time articulating how I felt about the album.  I was obviously aware I would get alot of oposition to what I said.  I agree that this album was a big leap from previous albums as far as composition and vocally.  I enjoy the album, don't get me wrong.  I just imagine how much better it could have been if there was a more of a melodic sound to it.  It's just my 3 favorite songs are a bit ruined by the guitar arrangement.  The beginning and middle of Long Gone by feels so awkward to me.  It was orchestrated so beautifully and then randomly he had to show off his guitarship.  Portals of Light being another absolutely beautiful song that seemed to be dragged down by the hardness towards the end.  Well I chose Sonata Arctica as a comparison considering they are both european bands in the "melodic metal" scene.  Please don't get the wrong idea that i'm insulting the band, it's easily one of my favorites.  I just wonder sometimes like gosh the song is almost perfect.  Why couldn't it have been perfect.  Why did he choose the go that direction with the song.  If I was to ask what is the best song you have ever heard in your entire life.  I mean honestly, would falconers music actually come up?

The Black Knight

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #25 am: September 29, 2006, 07:11:19 Vormittag »
If I was to ask what is the best song you have ever heard in your entire life. I mean honestly, would falconers music actually come up?

In my case - yes. But I think that question would be a very silly question. Not because the answer is evident, but because it's like asking why anyone likes a certain colour. It's a matter of taste, mate. If you like Sonata Arctica and dislike certain (very characteristic) elements in Falconer's music, then we all know exactly what band you should be listening to.

Radagast

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #26 am: September 29, 2006, 12:53:08 Nachmittag »
I think if there's one thing that can be agreed on, its that Stefan is not a flashy, show off guitarist. I mean the first album has, what, about five real solos on it? I've always seen Falconer as one of the best examples of a band where the various instruments and vocals come together to create a song greater than the sum of its parts.

w00tstick

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #27 am: September 30, 2006, 04:03:36 Vormittag »
Zitat von: The Black Knight
Zitat von: w00tstick
If you like Sonata Arctica and dislike certain (very characteristic) elements in Falconer's music, then we all know exactly what band you should be listening toquote]

That doesn't quite make sense.  I should be restricted to one band because I made a broad comparison to another band?  I was gifted with the ability to listen to more than one band, hard to understand I know.  It's ok to acknowledge the negative aspects of Falconer's music.  IT'S OK.  I understand Stefan frequently posts on the forum.  That seems to motivate the regs to be extra ignorant and extra protective.  If you read earlier posts I stated I enjoy their music.  I have all the albums, I'll always support them.  As I wish more people did.

Simply stating the negative aspects of their music should not mean "you know exactly what band I should be listening to".  His solos aren't the only parts of the songs I was referring too.  All of his songs are just so incredibly guitar driven.  I just feel Mathias doesn't fit with the way the music is composed.  There are parts in the songs where I feel he perfectly utilizes Mathas' vocals.  That's really all I have to say.  I don't really want to continue trying to clarify what I mean, wrong place to do it I suppose.  I just recommend being a bit more open minded about discussing about parts that weren't so great.  Not all the songs are perfect.  Can't argue with that.

Prab

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #28 am: September 30, 2006, 08:11:17 Vormittag »
@w00tstick
What's so wrong with guitar-driven music, even if it's "more" guitar-driven? I mean we all agree that Mathias' voice is awesome and completes the Falconer sound. So how would we notice that if the guitars are too overwhelmingly present?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing you for your point. It's good to have healthy discussions and to speak out one's mind.
Still, in this case I feel, that the thing you point out as "negative" is actually a trademark characteristik in Falconers music - the guitar-driven sound.
First and foremost Stefan is a guitar player. He is the mastermind of Falconer, he writes the songs,  so it's natural that the guitarparts stand out more. That's why the music is built around theses parts, that's why they drive the song. And that's a huge part of the actual Falconer sound that we all love.
Of course Mathias' voice could have been utilized in a more driving way. But hey it's not impossible that that aspect will be explored in the next or future albums. But it's also obvious why it turned out the way it did. And the result is very very far from being bad.

The Black Knight

• Gast
Northwind Reviews
« Antwort #29 am: September 30, 2006, 10:34:36 Vormittag »
I understand Stefan frequently posts on the forum.  That seems to motivate the regs to be extra ignorant and extra protective.  

That may be the case with some people on the forum, but not me. If Stefan all of the sudden would say that Northwind is the biggest piece of crap he's ever heard, I would think he's gone complete bananas. And I would probably have to chop his legs off.

His solos aren't the only parts of the songs I was referring too.  All of his songs are just so incredibly guitar driven.

Yes they are guitar driven, and that's one of the things I love the most about Falconer. If I thought that approach was boring or something I would probably not list Falconer as one of my favourite metal acts.

I just feel Mathias doesn't fit with the way the music is composed. There are parts in the songs where I feel he perfectly utilizes Mathas' vocals.

I think Mathias' voice is as utilized as it should be on all the songs. And I don't pick on you for it. I just realize we both have different tastes, and I am totally ok with that.

I just recommend being a bit more open minded about discussing about parts that weren't so great.  Not all the songs are perfect.  Can't argue with that.

Ok, not all the songs are equally great - that would be a terribly boring record. But to me, that has got more to do with melodies than the voice and guitar parts, which you keep arguing about. But on the whole I think that this album is one of the best albums I've heard, and I don't demand that anyone else have to think the same thing. The thing that's bugging me is that you express in a way that leaves no doors open. "Not all the songs are perfect.  Can't argue with that." - this sounds to me as if you think everyone should think the same thing about the songs as you do.

It's still a matter of taste. Can't argue with that.