Autor Thema: Metal in 2006.  (Gelesen 3416 mal)

Mindtraveller

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« am: Dezember 30, 2006, 09:14:00 Vormittag »
So, now that the year is pretty much done, what are your thoughts on the Metal world this year? Best of? Disappointments? Surprises? How did Falconer fare on your lists? What would you like to see in 2007?

Personally, I didn't get much new stuff. I'm usually busy getting older records that have accumulated through the years, but here are some quick thoughts on a bunch of the stuff I did listen to this year:

Battleheart - Battleheart and Terror on the High Seas
Well, start with some Grave Digger as the base ingredient, add bombastic (keyboard) orchestration, mix with some cheesy 80s sounding lead keys, spice with cartoonish pirate themes, throw some folkish melodies, season with barrells of fun and voilá, you have Battleheart. These guys released a couple of EPs, which are pretty similar for the most part. Well, the first one has incredibly bad (and out of key) vocals, but they are much better on the second one. This band is fun, that's about it. They're not to be taken too seriously and actually are competent at creating the bufoonish pirating atmosphere. Their songs are fun to raise your pint to and sing along (some of the lyrics are quite amusing). Still, it's a good thing that these are short EPs, because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if it was much longer. Both EPs are up for download at their site.

Dissection - Reinkaos
A surprise. I wasn't expecting much, but the album is actually good! Very different from their earlier efforts, here is the band playing blackish Heavy Metal and creating a dark  atmosphere with it. As a matter of fact, and despite its flaws, the atmosphere achieved is what makes this album a good one.

Drudkh - Krov u nashykh Krynytsyakh
This is some pretty well done folkish, atmospheric black metal from Ukraine. The songs are long and, for the most part, slow tempo. The sound is quite atmospheric and the end result is that of music which projects lonely natural landscapes. Still, although this is quite a strong release and the quality IS there, there is something that just doesn't quite "click" with me. Yet, if you like this kind of stuff, you should definitely pick it up.

Falconer - Northwind
My review is somewhere around so go read it if you haven't. :P My thoughts haven't changed much since. One of the band's best.

Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Wow, surprise of the year. BNW was barely above average, then DoD reeked of mediocrity, so the logical next step was a below average album, right? Well, Maiden redeemed themselves with this very good effort that is their best since the awesome X-Factor. Incredibly consistent record. All I need now is to see them playing it live dammit!

Oppression - State of War
Thrash that has a nice old school sound to it (not to be confused with that "retro" bullshit). The musicianship is tight, but the songwriting needs some work; sometimes they just extend songs unnecesarily and end up meandering around more than anything. The EP is up for download at their website.

Pharaoh - The Longest Night
Not as good as the debut, which was a very good piece of Heavy Metal, but almost as strong. This band usually flies under the radar, which is a shame because they put to shame a lot of other overhyped bands.

Slayer - Christ Illusion
As the saying goes: Close but no cigar. Sorry, there is still too much nu-bullshit on the album. Still, it's miles ahead of the crap they had been releasing for a while.

Steel Attack - Diabolic Symphony
Here you have the perfect example of a band that is incredibly damaged by a truly atrocious production. Hey, whayt's the point of having dynamics? Let's just make everything as loud as possible! Compress, compress, and if in doubt, compress some more. Add a sterile, synthetic, overtly digital sound and you have a recipe for an incredibly irritating listening experience. The new vocalist irks me too. The music is your run of the mill power metal, and even the songwriting is dull. It's a shame, because I had liked what I'd heard from these guys before (the song "Defender ofthe Crown" was pretty rocktastic).

Wolf - The Black Flame
What can be said? The wolfies kick ass! Quality heavy metal.

Wrathblade - War of the Titans
Well, um, this isn't bad, it's actually a fun listen, the problem is that it's too derivative. Ripping off Slough Feg to the point where the vocalist is trying to mimic Mike Scalzi isn't going to get them extra points. I mean, at least Slough Feg are a nice mixture of the bands they ripped off (Brocas Helm and early Maiden). The potential is there, they just need to find a more personal sound.

And since I'm too lazy to compile a top ten or something, I'll just say that #1 is:

Virgin Steele - Visions of Eden
Well, VS did it again; a disservice to most of the metal world. Album of the year, hands down. While not as good as the last masterpiece (Atreus I), it still gets my nod for best of year. Here's a band that creates music that actually moves the mind. Neo-romantic songwriting, combined with epicness and a thoughtful concept, what more can one ask for?

As for what I'd like to see happening in 2007...

- Daniel Heiman back in Lost Horizon and the band releasing another album full of awesomeness. :(

- Maiden live, dammit!

- Gamma Ray NOT blowing up Land of the Free II, although the most likely scenario is they doing precisely that and releasing another slab of utterly mediocre music like they've been doing since Powerplant. :(

- A new Falconer. But of course. :mrgreen:

Radagast

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« Antwort #1 am: Dezember 30, 2006, 11:52:26 Nachmittag »
Albums of the year:
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption - album of the year but surprise of the year, who'd have thought they could manage something this incredible after losing 50% of their line-up? Owen and Santolla completey blow the Hoffman brother away.

Syth - Warzone - brilliant heavy power metal from Glasgow. an unsigned band with brillaint musicians that play power metal with laods of solos, no keyboards or acoustics and no overuse of double bass drumming.

Falconer - Northwind - a brilliant comeback to the territory they are normally associated with, with even more folk elements than before and the retention of the brilliant guitar soloing from the previous album meaning it wasn't just an attempt to rehash past success.

Dream Evil - United - surprisingly excellent offering after the loss of Gus G and Snowy Shaw. Closer to Evilized than any of their other albums which is good news for me.

I'm going to see Battleheart next Friday! :D Should be fun,

Mindtraveller

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« Antwort #2 am: Dezember 31, 2006, 12:29:02 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Radagast"
I'm going to see Battleheart next Friday! :D Should be fun,

Ohh, it'd be nice to see these guys live at least once:

"When I walk back from a mighty quest
I have no need for sleep or rest
I head to a tavern for a drink
And get so drunk I cannot think
A wench by my side and a jug of mead
These are the things that I most need
So I sit back and sing this song
And drink and party all night long"

Have a good time, my friend! And remember to set sail and conquer. :P

Radagast

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« Antwort #3 am: Dezember 31, 2006, 04:59:43 Vormittag »
Sometimes  (just sometimes) it pays to be from Scotland. :D

strzegomia

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« Antwort #4 am: Januar 01, 2007, 08:51:18 Nachmittag »
I didn't hear Northwind yet... But I will soon! :)
My discoveries in 2006:
Sorcerer- Metalowa Husarya (The Last Huzzars of Metal). Polish power metal Something between Hammerfall and Manowar. http://www.sorcerer.webpark.pl/main.htm Official website. Click on 'Muzyka'- there is full, legal album. ;)
The Who- Endless Wire I guess I mustn't explain what's it :D. That's the greatest comeback of 2006!
Rhapsody of Fire- Triumph or Agony Latest cd shows symphonic side of Rhapsody. Fabio Lione started composing (Il canto del Vento). maybe on next albums will be more his songs...

terroxxx

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« Antwort #5 am: Januar 01, 2007, 11:35:06 Nachmittag »
i havent heard anny new records recently, being a poor student, and a noob on computer, i don't get my hands on much complete CD's... although, the most metal thing I did laste year (happy 2007 everybody! :D ) was breing my own mead! that rocks! and i bought some falconer t-shirts and got some xtra stuff from stefan!! thanks man!!

Person Guy Man

• Gast
Metal in 2006.
« Antwort #6 am: Januar 09, 2007, 05:59:36 Vormittag »
Shiny lists....

Blind Guardian-A Twist In The Myth:
5 years...5 years!Man, what the hell. Its just a bad version of a night at the opera..i only liked Lionheart...not much to say, Hansi sings like hes yawning...alot. Makes me want to pass out. 7/10 (i usually give 10's...not a hard guy on the bands i like...)

Dragonforce-Inhuman Rampage:
Oh, my, god....Terrible...just terrible. Its not only the fact that, this album is a steamy pile, but now I see 'demz metal noobz' with Dragonforce shirts all the time (im in the America,yes). Yeah, really...bad album...bad album...just aaa....wall of sound....with some..vocals thrown in...meh...Lost Souls in Endless Time Was...ok.5/10

Kamelot-Black Halo:
Awesome!Great!Totally!Yes.......Really a good solid album, i like every song (though i doubt ive heard 'em all) March of Mephisto...awesome (wait..that was on there right..). Yeah, not much to say, good. They didn't change much since the last album, good! I dont care if its repedetive if i LIKE IT! 10/10....wait a minute...05??? LIAR! Strange, I think they screwed up something, i checked their site to make sure i wouldnt look stupid, and theres some other album up for '06 and i didnt see it last time when i visited...in 06...and Black Halo wasnt up their when i visited...early 06...W-T-F
Highlights of the year!

Well i went to my first concert
(Dragonforce in may, small venue, but it was awesome, great songs, they played the ol' shit, good, very good.)10/10

I also went to another dragonforce concert some months later...'twas terrible!3/10

I also went to a Blind Guardian concert ,awesome, yeah awesome....12/10...also i threw up!

And lastly id also like to say that im glad i was introduced to a new band....Diablo Swing Orchestra...hear it for yereself eh? www.myspace.com/diabloswingorchestra