Autor Thema: Literature  (Gelesen 13048 mal)

TexJoachim

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #15 am: Dezember 14, 2004, 09:17:00 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "evilshell"
Laurell K. Hamilton (at least before she became a Harlequin cheap sex novel writer in disguise).

You must be talking about the Meredith Gentry series, right?
At least the second volume got better.

Oh, I wouldn't believe that the Anita Blake series qualifies as romance stuff. I do think that the average romance reader has a problem with lycanthropy.
:)

That said, I'm still hoping that the next Blake novel is again as good as the first three ones.

Greetz,

Tex

Virvatuli

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #16 am: Dezember 14, 2004, 09:32:06 Nachmittag »
I read the stardust too... Didn't fancy that as much as newerwhere. But thanks for the tip!

evilshell

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #17 am: Dezember 14, 2004, 11:07:46 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"
Laurell K. Hamilton (at least before she became a Harlequin cheap sex novel writer in disguise).

You must be talking about the Meredith Gentry series, right?
At least the second volume got better.

Oh, I wouldn't believe that the Anita Blake series qualifies as romance stuff. I do think that the average romance reader has a problem with lycanthropy.

That said, I'm still hoping that the next Blake novel is again as good as the first three ones.

Greetz,

Tex

I was addicted to the first  8 or 9 in the Anita Blake series, but it started to go downhill in the last couple of years. I still haven't picked up Incubus Dreams (mostly because it is so expensive to buy over here and it wasn't out yet when I was last in the US). I'll probably read the entire series until she finishes it.  

I've got the entire Meridith series, but I'm not as interested in it as I am/was in the Anita Blake series. But the series definitely did get better with the second book.

You're quite right, I doubt lycanthropy and vampires would be on the top of most romance readers lists ;)

I once met her at a book signing several years back. She's a very real kind of person, laid back and a funny speaker. And a very gracious, too.

evilshell

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #18 am: Dezember 14, 2004, 11:09:44 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Virvatuli"
Oh Neil Gaiman's also great! I loved Neverwhere, and then the Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman...
I've also read dragonlance, as Margaret Weis being one of my favoite writers among many others.

I'll add to what Tex said, and make sure you also get American Gods. That was an excellent book!

TexJoachim

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #19 am: Dezember 14, 2004, 11:26:28 Nachmittag »

I was addicted to the first  8 or 9 in the Anita Blake series, but it started to go downhill in the last couple of years. I still haven't picked up Incubus Dreams (mostly because it is so expensive to buy over here and it wasn't out yet when I was last in the US). I'll probably read the entire series until she finishes it.  

Me too!
We'll have to wait till September 2005 till _Incubus Dreams_ will be available in paperback. (At least the British Orbit version.)
:(

Zitat

I've got the entire Meridith series, but I'm not as interested in it as I am/was in the Anita Blake series. But the series definitely did get better with the second book.

Entire series? Hm, I have the first two books and the third one is coming out this month. (At least in paperback.)
Did I miss any book?

Zitat

You're quite right, I doubt lycanthropy and vampires would be on the top of most romance readers lists ;)

Greetz,

Tex

LightBringer

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #20 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 01:05:29 Vormittag »
I like too fantasy litterature, but actually i prefer reading about mythology and history trying to find hidden meanings and secrets.

I love history and mythology.

Metalmaiden

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #21 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 02:07:25 Vormittag »
I  read all the time. Books, magazines, labels, cereal boxes, anything I can get my hands on! I usually have several books going at one time.

I did read Gaiman's American Gods.   I thought the concept  was a cool idea and open to such possibilities but his writing  style didn't do it for me and the story fell  short of my expectations.

i'm not really into fantasy unless you'd call Anne Rice fantasy. Love her  descriptions of charectors and places. I  can picture them exactly to the finest detail, awesome. and I have a thing for vampires I guess.  Menoch the Devil was great! The philosophical exchange between Lastat and the Devil, a conversation I'd love to be able to have.

For more fun reading I am a fan of Michael Crichton's work. He always does so much research into what he is writing about. Some of Alice Walker's work I like.  I like courtroom stuff like Turow and Grisham. Never saw any of the movies made from their novels though. Wouldn't  want to spoil what my mind created by the Hollywood take on it. Eric Lustbader's Ninja chronicles, at least the first two, were a really enjoyable  and somthing that carried me away.

I really  enjoy historical fiction of any kind and time period. So many authors here but a have a soft spot for  Marion Zimmer  Bradley, borders on romance, but fun.

Aside from that I read books on mathmatics, physics, astronomy, psychology, philosophy, eastern philosophy, medical journels, photography and art, biographies, political science, history....Most recently enjoyed Robert Sapolsky's Primate Memoir  (neuroscientists life among baboons), Dava Sobel's Galileo's Daughter,  Fritjof Capra's  Tao of Physics, Daniel Goleman's  Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama. (I recommend the last two very highly).  Thank goodness for the free public library!

O.K., enough from me but first one recommendation for you  metal fans:
Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal by Ian Christe.

Souleraser

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #22 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 09:22:28 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Metalmaiden"

I did read Gaiman's American Gods.   I thought the concept  was a cool idea and open to such possibilities but his writing  style didn't do it for me and the story fell  short of my expectations.

I had the same problems with Mr. Gaiman's writings. I went through "Neverwhere" in a few days (though I read it back in those days when I still did my apprenticeship and was at work most of the day). I enjoyed it a lot. After that, I ordered "Stardust" which I enjoyed at least as but much.
And then I went on to "Smoke and Mirrors". I'm not sure if I finished it after all. It was not just not my cup of tea, it was... well, for me it was almost a waste of time.

While thinking about this, I remembered another author I enjoy reading: Douglas Coupland. Started with "Generation X" which is IMHO one of the best books ever written. Then went on with "American Polaroids" and after that "Shampoo Planet", "Girlfriend in a coma" and of course the awesome "Microslaves".
I absolutely love Couplands writing style. He's a professional cynic but nevertheless one can always discover a positive basic idea in those stories, something, which seems to be sort of "hope for a better future".

Mas

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #23 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 09:40:20 Vormittag »
i read a lot of books, the news paper i dont read, mostly i read the news on the internet.
my favorite writers are, Robin Cook (i have all he's books i almost eat them) Stephen King, John Grisham and i love books from the dutch writer Carry Slee, she write books for teenagers but i love them so i read them as well. Than i love to read the belgium Rock Tribune, thats a magazine. thats it i think.

Virvatuli

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #24 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 10:12:24 Vormittag »
:shock:  Neil Gaiman's written that many books? And we have only two here in finland  :cry2:
Okay I haven't checked lately but still ^^ Thanks for the tips, guys.
For you, who likes Newerwhere and fantasystuff: Try Pratchett if you haven't...

TexJoachim

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #25 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 05:36:15 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Virvatuli"
:shock:  Neil Gaiman's written that many books? And we have only two here in finland  :cry2:
Okay I haven't checked lately but still ^^ Thanks for the tips, guys.
For you, who likes Newerwhere and fantasystuff: Try Pratchett if you haven't...

You should check Amazon.com.

Oh, and I have read something by Pratchett: _Truth_
Quite entertaining, but nothing to fuss about IMHO.

If you like him, however, check out: _The Practice Effect_ by David Brin. This is my fav. novel!

Greetz,

Tex

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Literature
« Antwort #26 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 06:21:49 Nachmittag »
I would love to read soooo much... but I just don't have the time to do so. No newspapers, just a computer technology magazine issued twice a month. Newsletters and boards and mails of course, hehe. That already sums up to... a lot!

Preferred authors:

Stephen R. Lawhead
S. King
Dan Brown ("Illuminati" simply kicks ass)
Dean Koontz
...and probably some more I can't think of once more. :(
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

K. Beckman

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #27 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 06:29:25 Nachmittag »
I don't have the time or the patience to read a book. But I have read LOTR of course and Bilbo

shadowman

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #28 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 06:36:02 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "K. Beckman"
I don't have the time or the patience to read a book. and Bilbo

Hahahahaha ! We are two of a kind there Karl !
As I told before in this topic : I only read newspapers and magazines...

:P

gargantouas

• Gast
Literature
« Antwort #29 am: Dezember 15, 2004, 06:39:04 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "shadowman"

Hahahahaha ! We are two of a kind there Karl !
As I told before in this topic : I only read newspapers and magazines...

:P

Which is something that I dont have the patience to read lol..