Autor Thema: Languages!  (Gelesen 21168 mal)

The Metal RN

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #15 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 04:31:33 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
I also know a limited amount of sign language.

That is American Sign Language, right?
There are some differences with others, AFAIK.

Greetz,

Tex

AFAIK, as well, but I do not know enough to tell you what they are, i do know some people who do know more than one type, I will ask them to clafify.

Mas

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #16 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 05:15:00 Nachmittag »
my motherlanguage is dutch,  i think i can talk english and i understand the most things in german

Metalmaiden

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #17 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 06:11:18 Nachmittag »
I am horrible at languages! It is not for lack of trying.

I studied French in school starting at age 5.  I can read it and understand what is being said but realy can't speak it.  Later I did 3 years of Latin followed by 3 years of Spanish and Russian. I've retained very little.  Italian  and German was spoken at home but it was used so us children didn't know what the grown-ups were saying so i never was encouraged to learn it. I the 80's I  attempted Japanese. That was comical. I tried to learn Danish and Swedish before visits there but listening to those learning tapes was like pouring sand through a sieve. No retention. Besides, my European friends always want to practise their English with me so it seems I never get to prractise their language. (or I just butchered it SO badly they couldn't stand it.)

I don't know what it is but both my kids really struggled in school with non-native  languages as well. They learned sign language  very easily.  I think that learning ASL utilizes a different part of the brain. Then, it cames full circle, they used it to communicate with each other so I wouldn't know what they were talking about.

shadowman

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #18 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 06:51:18 Nachmittag »
Metal Maiden :
French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Japanese, Latin, Danish...

no Dutch ??
Tss... girl, you have some serious explaining to do here...

:roll:

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #19 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 07:19:01 Nachmittag »
I think the Finnish language is pretty neat.  I've noticed alot of softer sounds in it, and alot of uses of "a", "i" and "e" with or without accent marks.  I think it's very flowing and musical, as far as the scandanavian languages go.  Is it really that hard to learn?  :?:

Mas

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #20 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 07:29:03 Nachmittag »
i am thinking to learn one of the scandivian language's, sometimes when i watch a movie i can understand things and some words are close to the dutch en german language.

Avricha

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #21 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 07:53:23 Nachmittag »
@Virvatuli: AoP is right with that and  learning Finnish is a lot of fun since my Finnish teacher is a really nice woman..

@Odin: Gaelic is kinda hard, at least if you try to teach it yourself.

I'd love to learn Spanish as well.

Virvatuli

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #22 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 09:21:17 Nachmittag »
AngelofMusic, you're right. Finnish is quite neat.. I think it is mainly, broadly said, because of the vocals. In finnish words, there aren't so many consonants as there are in, let's say, german ;)
Great example of finnish's beauty is Nightwish's Lappi from aff.
But also yes, finnish is really difficult.  Example, in german they have only four ****(i'm not sure what it is in english, I think it's "die Fälle" (Kasus?) in german) we have 15...

shadowman

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #23 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 09:40:45 Nachmittag »
I think you mean Nominativ, akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv right ?
Not sure about the spelling though.
German friends, feel free to correct me...

so you have 15 of these nasty suckers in Finnish ?
Ok, note to my self :
Never ever learn Finnish...
When I ever meet you Virvatuli I am sure we will be able to communicate using body language...

:P  :P

Souleraser

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #24 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 09:49:36 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "shadowman"
I think you mean Nominativ, akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv right ?
Not sure about the spelling though.
German friends, feel free to correct me...

Correct spelling, wrong order ;)
It's
1. Nominativ
2. Genitiv
3. Dativ
4. Akkusativ

and for Latin ;)
5. Locativ
6. Ablativ

Zitat von: "shadowman"

so you have 15 of these nasty suckers in Finnish ?
Ok, note to my self :
Never ever learn Finnish...

I just thought the same ;)

Virvatuli

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #25 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 09:51:15 Nachmittag »
Yeah, those suckers indeed! Not many a finn knows those by heart. Not even me ;)
Shadow, yeah.. or international handmarks (like the middle finger), if it comes to that ;)  :lol:

TexJoachim

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #26 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 11:04:32 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AoP"
and for Latin ;)
5. Locativ
6. Ablativ

Please turn them around.
:)

Greetz,

Tex

TexJoachim

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #27 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 11:08:16 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Virvatuli"

Shadow, yeah.. or international handmarks (like the middle finger), if it comes to that ;)  :lol:

Unfortunately, body language is culturally dependent and not universal.
So, signs that mean excellent in German can (and do) mean "Asshole" in another country.

Or, different example: try waving your index and middle finger in England. Be sure to have a weapon ready, as this gesture is extremely offensive.
;)

Greetz,

Tex

Virvatuli

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #28 am: Dezember 19, 2004, 11:18:32 Nachmittag »
Oh Tex, always correcting everyone... I know that. Even a smile in some countries can mean frustration or even anger. I was just trying to make a _really_ bad joke, and now look what you've done, you've ruined it  :cry2:   :lol:  :lol:

K. Beckman

• Gast
Languages!
« Antwort #29 am: Dezember 20, 2004, 11:19:31 Vormittag »
Only two. Swedish and English. Oh yeah I almoast forgot, Östgötska ;)  So that makes 3.