Autor Thema: anyone care for a riddle ?  (Gelesen 4747 mal)

shadowman

• Gast
anyone care for a riddle ?
« am: Dezember 24, 2004, 05:24:39 Nachmittag »
Since we talk about almost anything in here how about a few riddles to keep your mind occupied at Christmas ?
My wife came up with these and I only solved one ! Stupid me !
Pretty sure you clever guys can do better !

Riddle 1 (the one I got right ! :D )
There are 66 birds in a tree, you shoot one, how many are still in the tree ?

Riddle 2
There is one light bulb upstairs and there are three light switches downstairs of which only one switches on the light upstairs.
Question : you can only climb the stairs once to check on the lamp and can only touch one lightswitch ! How do you proceed to know for sure what lightswitch is the right one for the light upstairs ?

Riddle 3
You have an empty can of 5 litres, one empty can of 3 litres and a swimming pool filled with water !
The task : fill the 5 litres can with excactly 4 litres ! How do you proceed ?

Answers to follow at christmas day !

Have a nice Christmas everyone !!

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Dezember 24, 2004, 07:20:39 Nachmittag »
Well, the first one is easy

I'm going to answer it.  Try to ignore the part in the midle if you others want to answer without seeing mine.

Here goes...

No birds, you shot the one and the rest flew away.

Did I get it right?

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Dezember 24, 2004, 07:28:58 Nachmittag »
Angel I beleive you are right!!!

I'm going to answer #3. Try to ignore the part in the midle if you others want to answer without seeing mine.

#3 Fill the 3 liter, dump all into the 5 liter, fill 3 liter again, fill 5 liter, which will leave 1 liter in the 3 liter conatiner, empty 5 liter, put the 1 liter in the 5 liter container, and add one more full 3 liter container, giving you 4 liters in the 5 liter container.

Mas

• Gast
Re: anyone care for a riddle ?
« Antwort #3 am: Dezember 24, 2004, 07:49:37 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "shadowman"

Riddle 2
There is one light bulb upstairs and there are three light switches downstairs of which only one switches on the light upstairs.
Question : you can only climb the stairs once to check on the lamp and can only touch one lightswitch ! How do you proceed to know for sure what lightswitch is the right one for the light upstairs ?

Answers to follow at christmas day !

Have a nice Christmas everyone !!

I wanna answer Riddle 2 but i dont understand one word, lol can you translate it for me in Dutch,...... than i try to reply in english.  :wink:

Thanks and Mery Christmas!

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Dezember 24, 2004, 09:03:40 Nachmittag »
Riddle 2
Hmmmm....Only touch ONE light switch???

With two switches tried and one trip its easy. Turn one on. Leave it on for a minute or two to warm up bulb. Then turn it off. Flip up the second switch and leave it on. Now go up stairs and look. On, off and cold bulb, off and hot bulb gives you the switches.  With my luck  the bulb would be burned out! *giggle*

Only one hhmmm............no cheating I guess, like going upstairs and having someone else touch the light switches?

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Dezember 24, 2004, 10:37:51 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Metalmaiden"
Riddle 2
Hmmmm....Only touch ONE light switch???

With two switches tried and one trip its easy. Turn one on. Leave it on for a minute or two to warm up bulb. Then turn it off. Flip up the second switch and leave it on. Now go up stairs and look. On, off and cold bulb, off and hot bulb gives you the switches.  With my luck  the bulb would be burned out! *giggle*

Only one hhmmm............no cheating I guess, like going upstairs and having someone else touch the light switches?

I was wondering the same thing with two switches but with only one? Hopefully I can ponder this before it is answered by the Venerable Shadowman!!!!!!

shadowman

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Dezember 25, 2004, 01:44:48 Nachmittag »
Hey hey !
Back with the answers !
You guys are genuises !!
And Mas, don't bother to figure this out in Dutch, every riddle solved !

Ok : the first one was easy, angel got it right the first time, because of the shot all other birds flew away !
Riddle 3 : I bow to you oh mighty metal RN... My brain already hurt after one bucket of water ! Congrats ! You got it right !
Riddle 2 : oops my mistake  :oops:  You are of course allowed to touch more then one switch, I posted this after two Kasteelbiers...  :?
But yes, our American friends got it right again !

It is proven : Metalheads are the smartest of all music lovers !!

:idea:

Misty

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Dezember 25, 2004, 02:47:10 Nachmittag »
I heard them all before, but I only remembered the first one anyway... :roll: