Autor Thema: Among Beggars and Thieves reviews sprouting up  (Gelesen 32380 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Re: Among Beggars and Thieves reviews sprouting up
« Antwort #45 am: September 12, 2008, 01:01:53 Vormittag »
It doesn't sound like Correns knows much about metal at all...

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #46 am: September 14, 2008, 04:47:11 Nachmittag »
some kind of made up old swedish

what the birdsh|t?

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #47 am: September 15, 2008, 11:04:27 Vormittag »
some kind of made up old swedish

what the birdsh|t?

I think that the person who wrote that was aiming at that most bands dealing with the Middle Ages write about it with older words of their own language - a vocabulary which lies close to the poetry of the late 19th century - while the medieval people of course spoke a language much more separated from ours. The criticism is quite irrelevant though, as I think that it would be extremely narrow (and laborious) to write in real Old Swedish, and I think that the more formal and a little older words contribute to the feeling. Besides, I think that Stefan has managed to create a very realistic copy of the form and metre of a 14th-15th century folk song in "Skula, Skorpa, Skalk".

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #48 am: September 15, 2008, 02:15:01 Nachmittag »
It doesn't sound like Correns knows much about metal at all...

Very true!

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #49 am: September 15, 2008, 06:49:26 Nachmittag »
Well, since Corren, or Östgötacorrespondenten as it is really called, is a local newspaper for the part of Sweden where 3/5 of the band live, it is not surprising that the review they come up with is fairly uninitiated. The only reason that they are writing about Falconer is that they are a local band, not because they are into the general style. 

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #50 am: September 17, 2008, 04:38:52 Vormittag »
http://www.stormbringer.at/reviews.php?id=3032

I can't read it, but they gave it a 3.5/5  Sooo...I guess they sort of liked it?

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #51 am: September 17, 2008, 07:38:15 Vormittag »
It seems to me that the people who listens to Falconer (Falconites and/or "common" listeners) like the album a lot more than the reviewers.

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #52 am: September 17, 2008, 09:00:18 Vormittag »

I can't read it, but they gave it a 3.5/5  Sooo...I guess they sort of liked it?

They said in short:

This is a good album, but the band cannot play metal, because they have a singer and a tempo that turn their metal into musical. They should therefore instead become a band making "heavy musical" (whatever that means). :icon_rolleyes: The concept of medieval injustice and beggars is an entirely uniteresting one and the Swedish lyrics sound comic. All these downpoints drag down a grade that originated in the band's skill of creating folky musical. At the end it is recommended to only a few and especially those who like musicals.
« Letzte Änderung: September 17, 2008, 08:48:20 Nachmittag von Ancient Minstrel »

Avricha

• Gast
« Antwort #53 am: September 17, 2008, 09:05:04 Vormittag »

Oh, Ancient Minstrel was faster than me, but anyway  ;)

Zitat
Concept albums are always a bit… ehm… something to get used to I’d say. Of course, it depends on the theme which gets handled and how far the listeners are acquainted with it.

To be specific the current FALCONER disc is about stories about “Beggars and Thieves” in medieval Sweden. For me absolutely not interesting, for others maybe just what they are waiting for.

The execution of the concept I like a bit more. I might snap some FALCONER-Fans, but I ask myself why is this band playing Metal? Wouldn’t these guys be better in good hands in the musical-scene? The composition of history reminds me too much of a musical. As well as, or foremost the vocals are the salient point which lets me make up the thesis that the guys actually want to play metal, but with returning vocalist Mathias Blad, who has a great guy, they can’t. In my opinion, Mister misses a metal-typical voice. His voice sounds too clear, too nice and too soft. Because of this “harder musicals” are really the best solution. And therefore midtempo tracks dominate the folkloric background music, all quite “nice” and with a bit of imagination you can project a conversion to the stage in front of your inner eye. Rarely, the accelerator is floored, then even doublebass attacks have their appearance…a climax so to speak. The involvement of the Swedish language for some tracks grants a bonus. Strangely, these are the ones that appeal to me a bit more. Maybe, the concept works here!

All in all: Makes a change, something different, but maybe not for everyone, but certainly a great disc for musical lovers.

Interesting though that the reviewer said in the comments that he didn't know that Mathias is a musical singer.
« Letzte Änderung: September 17, 2008, 09:11:08 Vormittag von Avricha »

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #54 am: September 17, 2008, 12:23:53 Nachmittag »
Allow me to say: Fucking idiots!!!!!!! To put it short, their opinion is exactly the opposite to mine. The musical/folk is exactly what makes it good.
PLaying "metal" with leather pants and spikes is done by a thousand bands allready.

Excuse my sort of scranky reaction............gotta let of some steam.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #55 am: September 17, 2008, 01:05:58 Nachmittag »
Exactly my thoughts. Just don't listen to them.

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #56 am: September 17, 2008, 01:28:48 Nachmittag »
Those Austrians, bad reviews and imprisoning families in the basement.
A sadistic culture thay have.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #57 am: September 17, 2008, 01:46:31 Nachmittag »
Those Austrians, bad reviews and imprisoning families in the basement.
A sadistic culture thay have.

ROTFLMAO

I think you should write a song about them.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #58 am: September 17, 2008, 02:26:57 Nachmittag »
Hehe, yup they're crazy, they are!

Sol

• Gast
« Antwort #59 am: September 17, 2008, 06:24:44 Nachmittag »
I hate Jakob Hasse! (c)

But he's right 8)