Autor Thema: Among Beggars and Thieves reviews sprouting up  (Gelesen 32377 mal)

Prab

• Gast
Re: Among Beggars and Thieves reviews sprouting up
« Antwort #75 am: September 18, 2008, 11:05:58 Vormittag »
And then, finally, The Mighty Prabster went into chronic delirium.  :icon_mrgreen:

Oh, I thank thee, noble Black Knight, for entiteling me as "The Mighty" :biggrin:
And Of course, I have to go into chronic delirium since we were finally granted forgiveness  :icon_wink:

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #76 am: September 22, 2008, 09:15:34 Nachmittag »
Okay, then...some more of these silly reviews. Maybe if I print them on paper I can burn them in my tile stove. 
(Once again, I hope noone else has posted these links)

http://www.tartareandesire.com/reviews/Falconer/Among_Beggars_And_Thieves/4097/ (This one may be the silliest of them all)

http://www.metal-temple.com/review.asp?id=3148 (Okay review, but hey - 3,5/5?)

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=200372 (Short but pretty good.)

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=12410&lang=en (Okay. This guy has posted a link to a Youtube version of Clarion call. How very appropriate indeed, mate.)

I think I'm done reading reviews for this time. It seems to me like most of the reviewers think that:
1) Nothing has happened since the first albums (which sometimes seems to be tiresome, sometimes totally awesome and sometimes both at the same time.)
2) It's too much silly power metal (yeah, right! have these guys ever heard Power metal like Fairyforce, Dragontale, Windbreaker and/or whatever the f*ck those other high pitched, 260+ BPM fairytale bands are called? Falconer is not power metal.)

A quote from the lordsofmetal.nl reviewer wraps it all up I think:
"In the end this is a good album, of course, but the unique sound is now mostly created by singer Blad, whereas in earlier days his voice AND the music created the unique sound."

I think I'll go print a t-shirt with that quote on.
And then, on a moonlit night with a lot of spells and magic potions involved, I'll burn that in my tile stove as well.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #77 am: September 23, 2008, 05:41:52 Vormittag »
I have to agree with the last review.  This is a stellar album, but I would not rank it as my favorite Falconer album.  They have yet to top their first two albums, IMO.  All in all, I think ABAT is a solid album.

The first review just made me want to punch the reviewer.

RedFox742

• Gast
« Antwort #78 am: September 23, 2008, 06:18:14 Vormittag »
Falconer is not power metal.)

I disagree, honestly. It's become almost a cliche to deny that your band plays power metal, because the term has become this bizarre taboo. But everyone who says that says something like, "well, we don't sing about medieval/fantasy stuff" or "well, we don't shred" or "well, we don't have a high-pitched vocalist" or "well, we incorporate too many styles to be pigeonholed".

You know what? They're all different types of power metal, just like they're all different types of heavy metal. Sonata Arctica and Evergrey sing about relationships, but I'd still call them power metal. Nightwish is operatic and involve many gothic elements, but the vocals and themes suggest symphonic power metal. DragonForce and Cellador incorporate thrash elements. Falconer has a baritone vocalist, but the melodicness, cleanliness, and speed are true to a form of the genre. The scope of power metal is wider than the narrow vision everyone seems to have.

Instead of all running from the term, bands should recognize that the fanbase accepts it and likes it (hence the continued survival of the label) and will use it to seek out other bands that mix metallic intensity with epic themes and melodic vocals.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #79 am: September 23, 2008, 07:42:07 Vormittag »
@ RedFox742: You got a point there, mate! But what I am after is that I think the reviewers compare Falconer with the kind of Power metal that I do not think they sound like one bit. Then there's always personal definitions and stuff like that. Personally I think Falconer is Symphonic Castrate Synthesized Hard Rock.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #80 am: September 23, 2008, 07:54:32 Vormittag »
They have yet to top their first two albums, IMO.

Is that possible?  ::)

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #81 am: September 23, 2008, 12:00:25 Nachmittag »
Falconer is not power metal.)

I disagree, honestly. It's become almost a cliche to deny that your band plays power metal, because the term has become this bizarre taboo. But everyone who says that says something like, "well, we don't sing about medieval/fantasy stuff" or "well, we don't shred" or "well, we don't have a high-pitched vocalist" or "well, we incorporate too many styles to be pigeonholed".

You know what? They're all different types of power metal, just like they're all different types of heavy metal. Sonata Arctica and Evergrey sing about relationships, but I'd still call them power metal. Nightwish is operatic and involve many gothic elements, but the vocals and themes suggest symphonic power metal. DragonForce and Cellador incorporate thrash elements. Falconer has a baritone vocalist, but the melodicness, cleanliness, and speed are true to a form of the genre. The scope of power metal is wider than the narrow vision everyone seems to have.

Instead of all running from the term, bands should recognize that the fanbase accepts it and likes it (hence the continued survival of the label) and will use it to seek out other bands that mix metallic intensity with epic themes and melodic vocals.

That is exactly how I feel too! I have been fighting for this opinion in many situations, but mostly the bands themselves, as you say, deny their music being Power Metal, as Power Metal has become an insult.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #82 am: September 23, 2008, 12:35:52 Nachmittag »
I rest my case.

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #83 am: September 23, 2008, 02:33:22 Nachmittag »
Symphonic Castrate Synthesized Hard Rock

My dear Black Knight, WHY of all possible words, do you include the word "castrate" to describe Falconer's music?  ??? :biggrin: :schock:

Well, I ususally describe Falconer as a "power metal band with folk influences". I think that does justice to their music.
Of course, a lot of people think of high pitched wailing sounds sung by men with to tight pants or whatever - but - SO WHAT?!
Just because a bunch of people decide that a particular word is "not trendy" or "not true" enough, doesn't change the meaning of that word/term one single bit! Power metal is metal with powerful and really energizing riffs and melodies. Falconer's music IS powerful and energizing, plus they've got some really interesting folk melodies and influences going on.
And that mix sounds more than awesome to me, period.

I love "ABAT", it's a wonderful album really! Still, I love "Falconer" and "Chapters" even more. I'm not sure, if Falconer can ever top those albums, but I'm also not sure, if that's even necessary or even possible. I don't think Stefan spends time thinking "damn, how do I top a killer song like "Mindtraveller" or "Clarion Call"", I rather think, that he just plays what he thinks and feels sounds the best at the moment.
I really dig the more "heavy" and "raw" sound of the first album, that adds a lot to the heavyness of that album.
But, as always, I'm more than eager to know what Stefan and the guys will come up with the next time around! Let's say, in 2009? 2010? :)

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #84 am: September 23, 2008, 02:41:01 Nachmittag »
Symphonic Castrate Synthesized Hard Rock
My dear Black Knight, WHY of all possible words, do you include the word "castrate" to describe Falconer's music?  ??? :biggrin: :schock:

Couldn't think of a more silly word at the moment.  :biggrin:

I love "ABAT", it's a wonderful album really! Still, I love "Falconer" and "Chapters" even more. I'm not sure, if Falconer can ever top those albums, but I'm also not sure, if that's even necessary or even possible. I don't think Stefan spends time thinking "damn, how do I top a killer song like "Mindtraveller" or "Clarion Call"", I rather think, that he just plays what he thinks and feels sounds the best at the moment.
I really dig the more "heavy" and "raw" sound of the first album, that adds a lot to the heavyness of that album.
But, as always, I'm more than eager to know what Stefan and the guys will come up with the next time around! Let's say, in 2009? 2010? :)

You said something really clever there, Prabster. I could not have said it better.
(although I think these albums are equally good (abat and the two first). but they are quite hard to compare, so I won't try that out.)
« Letzte Änderung: September 23, 2008, 02:48:16 Nachmittag von The Black Knight »

RedFox742

• Gast
« Antwort #85 am: September 23, 2008, 08:06:58 Nachmittag »
Hey, a metal board where people have reasonable, thought-out discussions.

I'm stunned.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #86 am: September 24, 2008, 07:00:27 Vormittag »
They have yet to top their first two albums, IMO.

Is that possible?  ::)

I have complete confidence in Stefan's songwriting abilities that it is, indeed possible.  :)

Now, as to whether or not they'll top The Clarion Call...that remains to be seen.  But I am a bit biased, seeing as that is my favorite Falconer tune. ;)

Ancient Minstrel

• Gast
« Antwort #87 am: September 24, 2008, 03:37:39 Nachmittag »
Hey, a metal board where people have reasonable, thought-out discussions.

I'm stunned.

Yep, that's the way it works in the glade of Falconer. :icon_wink: I have actually noticed that it has much to do with the band itself whether its board is a platform for serious discussions or only a combination of insults and fanboy-behaviour. The more extreme a band gets, the lower the level of the discussions. Thrash and Gothic Metal can also be included. Black, Death, Gothic and Thrash bands generate hate and bad language in forums, while Power, Heavy, Folk and Progressive Metal bands give a calmer discussion climate, for some reason ...

Vandroiy

• Gast
« Antwort #88 am: September 27, 2008, 10:02:39 Vormittag »
It's always hard for a band to make a record to top their earlier albums, if those were good ones. If I'd play all Falconer's albums to someone who never heard them before and asked them to rate them, I don't think they would favorize the old albums, I guess the results would be quite varying.

Anyway, after some though I would myself rate the new album as one of the two best Falconer albums. And the other one, is for me, the first album. But I guess that's because of nostalgic reasons. I've listened to Falconer all through their career and I guess you always cherish earlier records for reasons like that. They bring back old memories, and a common expression in Sweden is "det var bättre förr!"  ;D (It was better before). I think it's human to think back and remember older days, and maybe those memories become a little glorified with the years. I think that way of thinking applies to music too.

By the way, I also think "Northwind" gives "Chapters From A Vale Forlorn" a good run for it's money too. I can't decide which one is their third best and which is the fourth. I only know "Sceptre Of Deception" is the fifth in my mind, and "Grime vs Grandeur" is without doubt on last place.

I want to finish this with a contribution of my own judging of the songs from the new album. Take care!

FALCONER - Among Beggars And Thieves

1. Field Of Sorrow 8,5/10
2. Man Of The Hour 9/10
3. A Beggar Hero 7,5/10
4. Vargaskall 8,5/10
5. Carnival Of Disgust 7,5/10
6. Mountain Men 7/10
7. Viddernas Man 7/10
8. Pale Light Of Silver Moon 8/10
9. Boiling Led 8,5/10
10. Skula Skorpa, Skalk 8/10
11. Dreams And Pyres 7,5/10