Autor Thema: Among Beggars and Thieves reviews sprouting up  (Gelesen 32331 mal)

Metalmaiden

• Gast
Re: Among Beggars and Thieves reviews sprouting up
« Antwort #15 am: August 05, 2008, 08:18:48 Nachmittag »
Happy to see these good reviews. I know I will love the CD no matter what liking Falconer so much but it's impressive to see others, critics and reviewers, with postive opinions overall.

I too take exception with the Mathias comments. And it makes me laugh a bit because of all the discussions that the hardcore fans had here pertaining to the vocalist history of Falconer. Regardless of the singer I think we all liked a clean sound and felt it set Falconer apart. Although he knew early history, apparently he was unaware of this.

These reviews make the wait for my copy even harder!!

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #16 am: August 05, 2008, 09:49:30 Nachmittag »
These reviews make the wait for my copy even harder!!
:icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim:
SO TRUE!!!!!!!

WAHHHHHHH!  :tocktock: :verwirrt: :pillepalle:
Need album! Now! Waahhhhhhhrrrrrrhhhhaarrr!  :flush_2: :icon_lol: :verwirrt: :pillepalle:
More than two weeks to go.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :silly: :wand: :wand:

I am now officially out of my mind because of anticipation.

Munkaboo

• Gast
« Antwort #17 am: August 06, 2008, 04:13:58 Vormittag »
http://www.pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1059

Zitat
PITRIFF RATING – 8/10 – If Andy LaRocque keeps producing bands with releases that sound this good, he may become more respected for his studio wizardry than his guitar playing. Falconer may just have recorded a new power metal classic with “Among Beggars and Thieves” but only time will tell. For those of you who get and understand this music, you will undoubtedly be blown away by this release. As for those who are periphery fans of this style of metal, you might just owe it to yourself to check this out. The only negative review of this release is that Blad’s vocal may tend to get a bit too happy sounding for the average metal fan; however in my opinion Falconer is a breath of fresh air in an ever increasingly unoriginal genre.

How do these jerks get these copies yet I still cant listen to it. grrr

terroxxx

• Gast
« Antwort #18 am: August 13, 2008, 12:46:50 Vormittag »
many great reviews! but I really couldn't care less about what other people say about Falconer, I would still love it=)
except this retard:

Another one here:
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/link/1/templateid/14127/tempidx/4/menuid/2

:suicidal_smiley:

I'm OK with him not liking Falconer all that much, but him comparing them to almost every single band in the genre (and like it's a bad thing) is so annoying! it makes me think he's incapable to describe their sound in any other way. me so frustrated!! X(

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #19 am: August 25, 2008, 10:56:07 Vormittag »
There is obviously a review at this place: http://www.squealer-rocks.de/cdreview.php?var=1612

Can someone be kind and translate it? (I know it's really long, but Karsten promised that he'll buy a huge beer to anyone who translates it! If this someone shows up at any upcoming gig, of course.)

The Black Knight

• Gast

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #21 am: August 25, 2008, 01:38:09 Nachmittag »
There is obviously a review at this place: http://www.squealer-rocks.de/cdreview.php?var=1612

Can someone be kind and translate it? (I know it's really long, but Karsten promised that he'll buy a huge beer to anyone who translates it! If this someone shows up at any upcoming gig, of course.)

As you command, sire!  :)

Here's a rough translation from your most favourite of Austrian Falconites, whose names start with "P"  :P

The Falconer is back. With a good regularity, the Swedes, around songwriter Stefan Weinerhall, line up another piece of metal for the race for the crown of the melodic metal king. After opera singer (?) Mathias Blad returned to the microphone of the band with the last Album NORTHWIND, people again expected awesome songs like "Mindtraveller" or "Enter the Glade" from the first two albums, but that album could not deliver to those high expectations and rather came up with sugarcoated, half-baked pop metal songs. Only "Northwind" and "Himmel Så Trind" could please the audience. This time Falconer joined the ranks of "Beggars and Thieves", to find their old strengths again, but was this endeavor crowned with success?

The expectations, which were high after the grand but, for Falconer conditions, very (old school) metal-like sounding GRIME VS GRANDEUR, couldn't be any lower, two years after the disappointing NORTHWIND album. With mixed feelings one takes the CD, with it's dark colored cover, in one's hands and at least joyfully notices with the track list, that the excursion into swedish lyrics wasn't only an event of the last album or just reduced to bonus tracks like in the past. Even on the simple retail version of the album one can look forward to three songs in their native tongue. Enough of preface and into the player with AMONG BEGGARS AND THIEVES. The disc is rotating and with it the anticipation is rising.

I'm still sitting here with a light rapture, while typing thses words, because this album delivers what the predecessor only promised. From the first minute on, one is offered the usual, easy melodies, catchy choruses and driving rhythms, which we all love about Falconer, but not in this obtrusive, pop-like way of the predecessor, but with more capacity and volume, so that something particular really happens, which usually doesn't happen in melodic metal - the album gains momentum with each time it is played. From "Mountain Men", with it's irish folklore touch, to "Viddernas Man" which reminds one of „Himmel Så Trind“ and "Skula, Skorpa, Skalk", which really has some similarities with "We Sold Our Homesteads" from CHAPTERS FROM A VALE FORLORN, all the songs need several replays to fully develop, which is why one doesn't get fed up with them too quickly. But the difference between other melodic metal bands, with a folk touch, and AMONG BEGGARS AND THIEVES, as well as the glorious past of Falconer, is the vocal effort of Mathias Blad, whose golden voice suits the songs more than well! As usual, Blad performs flawless in all his variety, no matter if it's a duet with a female vocalist, as in "A Beggar Hero", "Mountain Men" or the epic, multi voiced "Dreams and Pyres", which reminds a little of SCEPTRE OF DEDECPTION, or the more wilder songs like "Boiling Led" or "Field of Sorrow".

Conclusion: With AMONG BEGGARS AND THIEVES Falconer are really back, even though it can't really measure up with the strong first two albums. The compositions seem a lot more mature and more diverse than on the predecessor from two years ago, which is why this album presents a quite unusual "über-song" that is "Dreams and Pyres". Those who buy the Limited Edition of the album may look forward to the two bonus tracks "Dark Ages" and "Vi Sälde Våra Hemman" (engl. "We Sold Our Homesteads").

Hope the translation was somehow comprehensibly written.
Attention: This is NOT MY OPINION on the album!!! I'll try to write up my review some other time as I'm still in the phase of getting into the songs. But I'm totally enjoying the ride! (F**k man, Boiling Led is such an awesome song!! That was love on first sight ;) Oh, and that dual solo on "Vargaskall", fu**in beautiful! Weinerhall-Hedlund = twinbladed guitar fury!!)

Greetz
Prab

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #22 am: August 25, 2008, 03:52:08 Nachmittag »
Now, THAT was a fast translation, fellow Prabster! Thank you so much!

It was a pretty good review as well, although "progression" is a word that few reviewers out there know jack shit about.  :icon_rolleyes:

cynic73

• Gast
« Antwort #23 am: August 25, 2008, 06:53:22 Nachmittag »
Great job translating the german review, Prab! I liked the part about Mathias´ "golden voice"...I think it´s a good way to describe it!

Avricha

• Gast
« Antwort #24 am: August 26, 2008, 09:08:20 Vormittag »
Two more reviews, the first one made me laugh to be honest  ;D.

Second one is from here

Exactly two years after the release of „Northwind“ have gone by and now FALCONER are on the start again with their concept album “Among Beggars And Thieves”. The title doesn’t leave a lot of room for interpretation, one prescribes oneself on the sixth album the life of beggars and thieves in Medieval Sweden. Where the Scandinavians with the previous album – and the return of singer master Mathias Blad – wanted to be in the fans’ good books, they want to continue their success story with the current one.

Now this success story seems to be tied to singer Mathias Blad since then, which has shown with the moderate success of the two albums („The Sceptre Of Deception“ und „Grime vs. Grandeur“) without his contribution. The cover as well should be worth a mentioning, was it designed another time by graphic genius Jan Meininghaus and leaves no doubt, where FALCONER wants to move.

The Falconers continue where they ended on “Northwind”: with singing guitars of the brand Weinerhall and Hedlund, with impressing rhythm work by drummer Larsson and bassist Linhardt and of course, as always, with the breathtaking voice of Blad, whose full-time job is musical-singer. Who has already experienced the guys on stage, knows that they are passionate and hungry like lions.

Reason enough to forget with the Opener „Field of Sorrow“ about a lengthy and tiring foreplay and immediately start with the main course. In familiar two-partedness the listener gets slammed with varied riffs, double-bass-attacks and in speed varying snars. No stunning, but a worthy start in promising 50 minutes FALCONER.

Especially notable is hat the quintet intensively dedicated itself to folk laden interludes – with success. Harmonic to such an extent you haven’t experienced the Falconers before, this much perfect you have never heard Blad singing. His voice moves “Among Beggars and Thieves” to unforeseen heights, provides it a matchless character and definitely contributes that the folk parts spark off and they stylistically come close to their debut more than ever. That they apart from Up-tempo-songs can be all quit and pensive, they demonstrate with „A Beggar Hero“, where Blad and an angelic female voice deliver a touching, accompanied by melodious acoustic guitars, duet. After they have paid tribute to calm minds as well, they continue with “Vargaskall” – one of two (on the Limited Edition three) tracks in Swedish language. [actually, it’s three to four]

The friends of big birds give their whole repertoire on “Boiling Led” its best. After a short introduction of acoustic and twisted six strings, it properly rumbles in the box. Because of the slightly chopped singing which is deposited by double-bass-shots and pushed forwards, the harmonic interludes and the simply brilliant licks, you are in high danger of a catchy-tune – attention! Also the taillight „Dreams and Pyres“ can’t excel this master stroke by Falconer, disappoints indeed a bit: the attempted pomposity only minimally functions (and that just because of the very forceful background-choir) and probably was mixed too quiet and therefore leaves no positive remaining impression.

What is to mentioned here as well is hat produced Andy LaRoque (Bolt Thrower, Evergrey, In Flames) otherwise did everything right and made the disc abounding with energy.
In general the disc is adhered with a slight till medium strength operatic touch which is certainly not to everybody’s taste. But with this, the negative critique was already brought forward because eventually “Among Beggars And Thieves” is until now the most consistent and impressive achievement after the surprising success of the debut album.

Mathias Blad brings out his special position as well as his being indispensable for the whole band and their success. Without a bad conscience you can recommend the purchase for friends of symphonetic Power Metal who don’t want to forego a certain rigour – two bonus tracks and the video to “Carnival of Disgust” serve as appeal to also get the Limited Edition.

Kitsch has never been as beautiful.

Rating: 9.5/10
Reviewer: Dennis Piller

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #25 am: August 26, 2008, 10:44:54 Vormittag »
First review:
ROTFLMAO
He has a good sense of humour, this man. And he is absolutely right. Now everyone who appreciate Falconer's music will have to start roleplaying games and trade cards with wizards and fairies on them.

Second review:
GREAT review!

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #26 am: August 26, 2008, 01:12:14 Nachmittag »
Here´s another one I just found:
http://www.powerofmetal.dk/

tirlith

• Gast
« Antwort #27 am: August 26, 2008, 01:56:27 Nachmittag »
The first review sounds a bit like something my boyfriend would say aboute "A Quest for the Crown".
When I listen to it he starts singing on "Brave sir Robin". Hehe...

truewalrus

• Gast
« Antwort #28 am: August 28, 2008, 10:33:09 Vormittag »
The first review sounds a bit like something my boyfriend would say aboute "A Quest for the Crown".
When I listen to it he starts singing on "Brave sir Robin". Hehe...

You know what's funny. I do that as well ^_^.

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #29 am: August 28, 2008, 11:00:42 Vormittag »
No shit, I got to get inspiration from somewhere........