Autor Thema: I've just received Among beggars... Digi today!  (Gelesen 13363 mal)

jakob_hasse

• Gast
I've just received Among beggars... Digi today!
« am: August 20, 2008, 04:14:45 Nachmittag »
Here it is, a little earlier than I'd expected. It sounds great I must say! Especially the tracks Field of Sorrow, Vargaskall, Pale light of Silver Moon and Boiling Led are very very good.
The packaging is magnificent and the pictures in the book are quality stuff and perhaps a bit funny...
I'll return, when I've heard it through a couple hundred times...

cynic73

• Gast
Re: I've just received Among beggars... Digi today!
« Antwort #1 am: August 20, 2008, 04:19:32 Nachmittag »
Man, that´s cruel! The release date here in Sweden is the 25th, I have pre-ordered it but I probably will get it late, just because I´m looking forward to it so much.

Anyway, good for you  :bangersmiley: Looking forward to reading your review  :)

Munkaboo

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: August 20, 2008, 05:56:01 Nachmittag »
Hey! I was wondering what you thought of the two bonus tracks on the CD

Nyholm

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: August 20, 2008, 06:40:29 Nachmittag »
Cynic73, where have you pre-ordered the new album? Ginza, Cdon? :biggrin: :bangersmiley:
« Letzte Änderung: August 20, 2008, 06:42:10 Nachmittag von Nyholm »

Sol

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: August 20, 2008, 07:52:48 Nachmittag »
Hasse, rend mig i røven!!!!

That is really cruel of you!!!

cynic73

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: August 20, 2008, 09:13:11 Nachmittag »
Cynic73, where have you pre-ordered the new album? Ginza, Cdon? :biggrin: :bangersmiley:

Hi Nyholm, I pre-ordered it from Ginza. It´s my first time pre-ordering an album, so I have no idea if it´s fast or slow... My main reason for pre-ordering was to make sure I get my hands on the version with bonus tracks.

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: August 20, 2008, 09:53:44 Nachmittag »

LOL!
Now, don't kickstart Hasse's (utterly naughty) mind like that!  :icon_biggrin:

Sol

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: August 20, 2008, 10:18:21 Nachmittag »

LOL!
Now, don't kickstart Hasse's (utterly naughty) mind like that!  :icon_biggrin:

Black Knight,
I am very, very, even extremly envious now 8)

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: August 20, 2008, 10:35:36 Nachmittag »
 :biggrin: I can sense that! Well, I won't tease you because then you just might explode or something even worse.

But the album is top notch!  :icon_razz:

Avricha

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: August 20, 2008, 10:38:34 Nachmittag »
Jakob, you are a lucky dude! I am really envious, too. I am counting days, hell, minutes until I'll get my own copy.
I bet Amazon won't received them until Friday, meaning I'll probably won't get it before Saturday when I need to work.

But it's good to hear you are enjoying it which I wouldn't have doubted anyway  ;)
« Letzte Änderung: August 20, 2008, 10:40:09 Nachmittag von Avricha »

Sol

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: August 20, 2008, 10:42:33 Nachmittag »
:biggrin: I can sense that! Well, I won't tease you because then you just might explode or something even worse.

But the album is top notch!  :icon_razz:

Fandenedeme!!!!

This is pure conspiracy to drive me crazy  >:(

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: August 21, 2008, 01:11:07 Vormittag »
I've given it (mostly the first half) a few listens and heres what I think so far.

** possible spoilers **

It is indeed a very good album. I love the songs' very medieval sound (which I though was coming back with Northwind, but wasn't quite there yet) and the lyrics are too very good. I can sense a general outline in the songs' lyrics, though I wouldn't call it a concept album.
'The field of sorrow' is a perfect opening song, very much classic Falconer, with the catchy chorus and the typical shifts of tempo. It's these fast Falconer songs I like the best, because the effect of the hard guitar and extremely fast drums make the combination with Mathias' voice so special, very good! And Mathias' perfomance on this album is outstanding, also together with the female singer - their voices fit each other well.
'Beggar hero' is a true medieval - maybe even fairetale - song with a very good melody, which really does a good job of slowing the pace down a little and preparing you for 'Vargaskall'.
'Mountain men' is a very great song, perhaps one of the best on the album?? It has some very interesting parts and challenges you through the whole song and that guitar riff - pure genious! This has to be my favourite so far. And I love Mathias' deep voice!

I'll return with more, if you want to, when I get a chance to listen to the rest.

As for the two bonus songs, I must say, that they indeed are 'bonus' and I think they fall vastly below the others songs in quality even though they're not bad at all. 'Dark Ages' I would compare to 'busted to the floor', it's a good song, but somehow missing something to make it complete (I'm one of those people who think busted to the floor should've been the bonus track). Vi sålde vora hemman we all already know and - well - even though the arrangement is quite good, I think it tends to be somewhat boring and maybe a little to synthy, of course we already all own the rock and roll version, but hey, that's just my taste.
The other swedish tracks are brilliant and I think it's very good that the band has decided to do more songs in their native tongue, it fits Falconer, their style and Mathias' voice perfectly (and if one can understand them, they may be even better).

tirlith

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: August 21, 2008, 01:55:05 Vormittag »
Hell, I should have pre-ordered erlier, I just did it today, then maybe i would have had mine too. I ordered from CDON, anyone who got from them yet?

The Black Knight

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: August 21, 2008, 05:54:35 Vormittag »
Nice summary, Hasse. I think it's fascinating that people tend to think "Mountain men" is the best song, as it is quite special even to be a Falconer song. It's great, but I think that "Dreams and pyres" is even better... (oh, this is a VERY special song as well, but it's got a special kind of...impact that just leaves me breathless from time to time)

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: August 22, 2008, 01:40:18 Nachmittag »
Nice summary, Hasse. I think it's fascinating that people tend to think "Mountain men" is the best song, as it is quite special even to be a Falconer song. It's great, but I think that "Dreams and pyres" is even better... (oh, this is a VERY special song as well, but it's got a special kind of...impact that just leaves me breathless from time to time)

Cool, I didn't know that other tend to think that! Dreams and Pyres is indeed special as well, it reminds me a lot of the style on "Sceptre", which is not a bad thing at all!!