Autor Thema: Master of the anvil, allys the metals?  (Gelesen 2940 mal)

izombie7

• Gast
Master of the anvil, allys the metals?
« am: November 03, 2008, 11:06:09 Vormittag »
I was wondering about the lyrics to Lord of the Blacksmiths.

It's pretty much the catchiest part of that album, but I was wondering about the phrase "allys the metals".

For one thing, is allys a word? Most spell checkers and dictionaries seem to think its not.

I assume it means forging the metal, but yes, is allys really a word? Can anyone find a definition or a usage of it anywhere?

Odd question, I know. Thanks.  ;D

Prab

• Gast
Re: Master of the anvil, allys the metals?
« Antwort #1 am: November 03, 2008, 12:32:48 Nachmittag »

The word should be "alloy". I guess it's just a spelling mistake in the lyrics, just like we've got a boiling light-emitting diode (led) on the new album, instead of boiling lead ;)

"To alloy metal" means, to create new "combinations" of metals by mixing up different metallic elements.
Steel for example is an alloy of iron an other metallic or non-metallic (e.g. carbon) elements.
You might guess what a blacksmith needs steel for :)
Just check everything out on Alloy (Wikipedia)

cynic73

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: November 04, 2008, 09:01:00 Vormittag »
Checking the booklet (is that the correct word?) that came with the album, I found out that the spelling is correct, it actually says "alloys".

I wasn´t aware that alloy also is a verb, but my dictionary confirms that. You learn something everyday  :D

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: November 04, 2008, 01:09:53 Nachmittag »

Unfortunately I don't have the booklet with me, here at work, so I just checked it on the website and there it's misspelled.
But as long as it's spelled correctly in the booklet, everythings fine :D

cynic73

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: November 05, 2008, 02:03:20 Nachmittag »
What, you don´t have the booklet with you to work?! Mensch...  ;)