Autor Thema: STEFAN REVIEWING HIMSELF - FALCONER  (Gelesen 7714 mal)

Stefan W

• Gast
STEFAN REVIEWING HIMSELF - FALCONER
« am: November 02, 2008, 08:32:46 Nachmittag »
FALCONER 7/10
An album that was honest and from the heart in a way without any expectations.
We didn't have any clear picture of the result ourselves really.
All the skills wasn't there, neither in playing nor writing
for example the lyrics to "Lord of the blacksmiths" or the guitar solos left alot to wish for.
Sometimes it feels like the songs are a bit to much "different things thrown together without much thought".
Still I like the guitar stuff always fiddling around even during the vocals, something that I today probably would leave a bit simpler.
When I compare the sound of this one and the newest albums I get stunned by how rough and unprofessional it sounds.
Odd that not more people heard I ripped off "Brave sir Robin"...........

Fave songs: Upon the grave of guilt, Wings of serenity, The past still lives on

The Black Knight

• Gast
Re: STEFAN REVIEWING HIMSELF - FALCONER
« Antwort #1 am: November 02, 2008, 09:39:00 Nachmittag »
LOL! I crack myself right up!  :lachen:

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: November 02, 2008, 10:30:34 Nachmittag »
Then you have more LOL moments to come when we deal with the other albums

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: November 03, 2008, 03:19:24 Vormittag »
Nerds.  :lachen:

guardian

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: November 03, 2008, 11:38:18 Nachmittag »
Hey Stefan, don`t score your work so lowly, they`re all mastepieces anyway. :bangersmiley:
  Just curious about how GvG will do` ???

Disconouny

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: November 12, 2008, 01:56:45 Vormittag »
I own only two falconer albums up to now, this one and the new one.

What I like of the first one is the drive and energy of it, this insane naïveté that makes the song wild and interesting. There is a "hey guys this is our baby-project-insane-let's do it" energy on this one and that'S what I like n'way...

and about the sound, ya, it's not perfect but it sounds better somehow than Death Magnetic of Metallica! :P

Cheers!

Storm

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: November 12, 2008, 04:37:32 Nachmittag »
I would give this album atleast an 8/10. Faves are Upon the grave, Wings of serenity and Herasy in Disguise.
Sure, some of the lyrics are not as great as Stefans later song, and the whole feeling on the album is a little "rough" when it comes to production, BUT that doesn't matter for the songs are wonderful.

Karumis

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: November 18, 2008, 04:37:33 Nachmittag »
"Rough" albums have its magic you know ;)

anwynn

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: November 25, 2008, 10:22:31 Vormittag »
Nice to have your opinion Stefan, thank you to be honest and to be able to see negativ aspect from your work !

Jophelerx

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: Januar 04, 2009, 07:47:54 Nachmittag »
I'd have to agree on the 7/10 rating.  Good CD, just not the finest work you guys ever put out.  Stefan, it seems we agree on most, but not all, of our favorite songs once again (since I reviewed the CDs in reverse order).  I love Upon the Grave of Guilt and Wings of Serenity, but I really don't like The Past Still Lives on at all other than lyrically, I think it may be Falconer's worst song with Blad on vocals.  I think my favorite song on the CD is Lord of the Blacksmiths, though.  The lyrics are a bit cliched, but the melody is amazing.  I think if Lord of the Blacksmiths wasn't on the Cd, I'd give it more like a 5/10.  I find it interesting that I always seem to love one song that you don't like.  But, yeah.  There's the self-titled CD for you.  Oh, and I liked Royal Galley.  That was pretty cool.

Chill02

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: Januar 16, 2009, 11:28:20 Nachmittag »
I'll have to disagree with the rating here. For some reason I find this album to be very consistent all around and I can't think of a song from this album that I find particularly dull. Hell, for what it's worth, Mindtraveller was probably the first actual metal song I attempted to learn on guitar a couple of years ago (took me a while, and I can't still pull off the solo that well :/).

RaceWithTheFalcons

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: Mai 21, 2009, 03:34:23 Nachmittag »
My favorite Falconer album!

Every song is worth listening to every time you put the cd on. I especially love Upon The Grave of Guilt (outstanding vocals!) and Mindtraveller (outstanding intro and chorus!). Also, I particularly love how some of the songs (such as Entering Eternity and Wings of Serenity) throw in faster or slower parts to change up the pace of the song and keep it interesting and not redundant.

Seriously, this album is a masterpiece.

Negru_Voda

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: Juni 09, 2009, 02:12:13 Nachmittag »
Odd that not more people heard I ripped off "Brave sir Robin"...........

Haha, I'm sure you meant this as a joke but oddly enough now that I think about it Rhapsody did just that on Village of Dwarves...

Personally I think you scored this album a tad too low, it is great! Upon the Grave of Guilt is an excellent song, and one with my favourite Falconer lyrics.

tip

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: September 23, 2009, 03:54:12 Nachmittag »
FALCONER 7/10
Odd that not more people heard I ripped off "Brave sir Robin"...........[/i]

I knew it!!  :lachen:
seriously, that's what I always thought, and now that I read it and compared it to sir robin on youtube, it becomes reeaally obvious... :lachen:

but anyway, with all respect; I have to disagree with your review stefan. :arsch:  :biggrin:
your first album was and still is a real blast. I really like the rough sound. what you consder as unprofessional is what I hear as natural and honest.
I really like albums that sound a bit more dry and not that over-produced like many albums nowadays tend to sound.
and the solos would be my second point of disagreement.
it's not a paul-gilbert-like high-class-shredding, but anyway; I got gilbert for that.
I always considered the solos on this album as tasty and helpful for the song context. there's some awesome melodies there!! and the riffing rocks baadly!! :)
seriously I don't think the album contains a single filler. royal galley beeing my favourite song with sir robin on a fine second place.
I'm still trying to convince my band on a cover of royal galley, the drummer is on my side, though he's still kind of lost on the double base... :lachen:

but as my first post I have to say; I've been knowing about you for years now. I kind of liked your first CD, but I lost the track on you for a while.
it somehow took a while till I found out about falconers real gloryness.  :bangersmiley:
anyway; I had many many great hours with your first release lately and I think I'll have to check out your later stuff too now step by step.

I wish you guys all the best and hope to see you live somewhere around some day!

Metalhead87

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: September 29, 2009, 08:55:35 Nachmittag »
I'll have to disagree with the rating here. For some reason I find this album to be very consistent all around and I can't think of a song from this album that I find particularly dull.
+1
Exactly my thoughts.
My favourite song of the album is The Past Still Lives On.