Autor Thema: First impressions from "Grime vs. Grandeur"  (Gelesen 25154 mal)

Radagast

• Gast
First impressions from "Grime vs. Grandeur"
« Antwort #60 am: Juli 13, 2005, 01:55:59 Vormittag »
I'm not their biggest fan, but they are neither Metal nor Nu Metal. Hard to categorize for sure, but I guess hard rock is as close as you'll get. That latest single had elements of Thrash Metal, hardcore punk and pop all jammed into like three minutes.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #61 am: Juli 13, 2005, 02:38:54 Vormittag »
Bands that are Emo:

Linkin Park
Evanescence
KoRn

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #62 am: Juli 13, 2005, 04:34:04 Vormittag »
I think you are confusing NuMetal (Korn,Limp Bizkit) with Emo.

EMO is  emotionally driven hardcore (or  softcore) PUNK. It began with bands like: Rites of Spring, Hüsker Dü,  Fugazi,  Jimmy Eat World,  and is now bands like:  Dashboard Confessional, The Used, Coheed and Cambria, Poison the Well, My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Heights

Its screaming,melodramatic,moody, soul-searching lyrics, sometimes whiney, nerdy dressing, unwashed messy hair combed forward covering  most of your face, tattoos & ear plugs earrings......

I saw this definition,its  funny, and it fits  -- "Mature" music made by cigarette-puffing ex-straightedgers. Heavy on soul-searching, hard to mosh to."

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #63 am: Juli 13, 2005, 07:39:33 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Radagast"
Atreyu
Caliban
Underoath

These are all Metalcore bands (I think)

METALCORE - yes! That was it. I knew I got something wrong there  :P

@Metalmaiden

Hey, that's a good explanation of Emo!
I read something like that at wikipedia too and realized, that I actually had not the right idea about Emo.
Whatever, that's not really my cup of tea.
Gimme a jar of heavy metal  :bluebanger:

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #64 am: Juli 13, 2005, 12:32:39 Nachmittag »
(Sorry if this message is gruff, I am not exactly in a great mood at the moment :cry:  :wink: )

Why is there all this need to classify bands and what they sound like. Why is there so much resistance to when a band develops as it goes on. I think  that they trend as you get older, (and I said this is a trend, not for everybody) is that when people are younger, maybe they feel more comfortable when things are straight forward and unchanging? And as you get older, you appreciate change and progress, or maybe as you get older you realize that there is no way to stop/control it. I don't know. Music lately has so many band that don't fit into any category. I often use the labels that are out there, but people often disaggree with what my definition is, so I change the use of the label, and then someone else says "that's not what _____ is" ughhh  :wink:  I don't know what the answer is, I just am getting tired of this label thing....... thanks for listening to this small rant, not much time, have to go to work......

As for System of A Down..... I love that album, may agree with Stefan as best of the year.... they have many influences and you can really hear their Armenian roots/melodies in their music. they mix so much into their music and all the changes in tempo and melody just titally seem to fit together. Truly great musicians.

My first impressions of Grime keep getting better and better as I listen to it. i really like the melodies and the overall speed/tempo of the songs. I was not as thrilled with some of the choruses that seem to go on to long, (for my tastes   :wink:) which is why I initially did not like what I heard,  but I am enjoying the song writing and overall performance/feel.  you have written some really catchy hooks there!!!!

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #65 am: Juli 13, 2005, 02:51:31 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"

Why is there all this need to classify bands and what they sound like.

Piece of cake: Because so much of us are on the hunt to find fresh bands that are to our tastes.
:)

It is much easier to say "I like Viking metal" than to say "I like Doomsword, but not really for their Doom, but for their Viking themes. The same goes for Thyrfing, but there is a little too much Black in "Vannesvisor". "Urkraft", however has the right mixture. Oh, and let us not forget the latest release of Falkenbach. I'd prefer that with some more screams, though..."

As you will notice, both are not opposites but one is the elaboration of the other.

Zitat

Why is there so much resistance to when a band develops as it goes on.

This is because some of us have a very emotional connection to the sound of a band when it was first discovered.
I can't stand the last Morgoth album because it just doesn't sound right. I treasure their debut as the finest piece of German Death metal.

No logic involved.

Zitat

Music lately has so many band that don't fit into any category.

Really? Never noticed this before.

Zitat

I often use the labels that are out there, but people often disaggree with what my definition is, so I change the use of the label, and then someone else says "that's not what _____ is" ughhh

Yes, this is exactly what language is there for.

Greetz,

Tex

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #66 am: Juli 14, 2005, 12:05:19 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"

Why is there all this need to classify bands and what they sound like.

Piece of cake: Because so much of us are on the hunt to find fresh bands that are to our tastes.

It is much easier to say "I like Viking metal" than to say "I like Doomsword, but not really for their Doom, but for their Viking themes. The same goes for Thyrfing, but there is a little too much Black in "Vannesvisor". "Urkraft", however has the right mixture. Oh, and let us not forget the latest release of Falkenbach. I'd prefer that with some more screams, though..."

As you will notice, both are not opposites but one is the elaboration of the other.

But see, to me this is much more descriptive and tells me more about
a) why you like the band and
b) what they sound like

I mean I do understand the convenience of shorthand, but it gets difficult when people have differing views of the terms used, unless you want to go with "delicious-happy-party-death-metal-non-disco-thrash-punk-metalcore-witha hint of opera-based on antarctic folk lore-with an essence of rare polish doom polka " :P

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #67 am: Juli 14, 2005, 10:14:50 Vormittag »

.. unless you want to go with "delicious-happy-party-death-metal-non-disco-thrash-punk-metalcore-witha hint of opera-based on antarctic folk lore-with an essence of rare polish doom polka " :P

:laugh:  :laugh: Interesting style!! Any bands i can check ??  :laugh:  :laugh:

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #68 am: Juli 14, 2005, 03:45:14 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "dorian jane"

.. unless you want to go with "delicious-happy-party-death-metal-non-disco-thrash-punk-metalcore-witha hint of opera-based on antarctic folk lore-with an essence of rare polish doom polka " :P

:laugh:  :laugh: Interesting style!! Any bands i can check ??  :laugh:  :laugh:

Let me have a look...
;)

Greetz,

Tex

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #69 am: Juli 14, 2005, 04:30:16 Nachmittag »
@The Doom Polka RN

:D LOOOL  :lol:

You rock  :bluebanger:

Anonymous

• Gast
« Antwort #70 am: Juli 14, 2005, 08:42:10 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Prab"
@The Doom Polka RN

:lol2:

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #71 am: Juli 14, 2005, 08:43:53 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Anonymous"
Zitat von: "Prab"
@The Doom Polka RN

:lol2:

Me..

Arthyron

• Gast
« Antwort #72 am: Juli 14, 2005, 08:53:37 Nachmittag »
I like it. :)

I was worried when Matthias left, that Falconer would just become a mediocre normal metal band (as Matthias was who first got me interested in the band, and is basically my biggest influence in singing).

While "Sceptre" was good and all, it just wasn't up to par, and I was worried.

But with Grime vs. Grandeur, it's plain to see that Falconer can still kick some ass. ;)  Now the musical style has been more adapted to Kristoffer's vocals, and more in tune with the new image of the band.  I think it was quite good.  I'd still like to see some more clean vocals (I've always loved clean vocals over gritty vocals any day) out of Kristoffer, cause he's got a good voice, but other than that, I think it was a job well done. ;)

Sokolnik

• Gast
« Antwort #73 am: September 01, 2005, 05:49:12 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Arthyron"

But with Grime vs. Grandeur, it's plain to see that Falconer can still kick some ass. ;)  Now the musical style has been more adapted to Kristoffer's vocals, and more in tune with the new image of the band.  I think it was quite good.

yes i agree!!the music is different 'cause Krisopher voice better fits to this music.and i also would like to hear more clean vocals 'cause everyone sings the same...they are trying to have artifical hoarseness  :shock: i also like Kamelot..this guy Khan also sings clearly and does many strange "things" with his voice  :roll:

The Metalbot

• Gast
« Antwort #74 am: September 07, 2005, 10:25:12 Vormittag »
I think Falconer were so much better with Mathias. Now they sound more like some ordinary Power Metal act that doesn't know which leg to stand on. I'm sorry, but my love for their  (new) music died when they missed out on the two ingredients that made them so special:
1) Mathias extraordinary voice
2) The medieval (and sometimes magical/fantasy) lyrics

I just don't think Kristofers voice is anything special. He's another pretty good singer. But I think it's sad that they change their style (the medieval approach) just because they have a singer that doesn't measure up.

Alas, I like some of the new songs. "Humanity Overdose" and "Child Of The Wild" are the two songs that really touches me on the latest album. On those songs, Kristofer's voice works  well, and they sure have got some of that "old Falconer style".

I don't think Falconer will ever find a singer like Mathias again, and I don't think they have ever looked for one, They knew when Mathias left that they would have to find a new totally different singer and along with him a new approach in the music style. I also think that everyone who thinks the first albums (Falconer and Chapters) are the best ones, will never think Falconer will sound as refreshing and groundbreaking as they did back then (well, those records still does).

I will still follow Falconer's progress. I like their latest work, and I listen to the best pieces of it, But I can't stop feeling the magic has gone with Mathias.

And one thing is for sure: My two top CD's are "Falconer" and "Chapters". They move me more and more everytime I listen to them. And I haven't grown tired with them after more than 1000 listenings. To me, they are the two best (metal) records EVER made!

Sidenote:
I have to give a big thank you to Stefan and the rest of you in Falconer. You are very good musicians and producers. The arranging, engineering and productions you've made kicks ass. Top notch.