Autor Thema: BURNED OR BURIED?  (Gelesen 12719 mal)

Elentie

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #30 am: Mai 24, 2005, 02:15:38 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "AoP"
The ritual of burying someone seems to ease the pain of a loss in some. It is indeed part of that whole faith thingie I guess - sending a body back to the earth it came from to become what it was made of.

Yeah,
but you cul do that just as well with ashes...sometimes they put the ashes in the coffin and buires it. They did that with my grand uncle....

dorian jane

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #31 am: Mai 24, 2005, 02:28:33 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "dorian jane"

I need to ask something cause i just noticed that all of the people posting here are in favour of getting burned...WHY THE HELL DO THEY KEEP THAT BURY THING?

The ritual of burying someone seems to ease the pain of a loss in some. It is indeed part of that whole faith thingie I guess - sending a body back to the earth it came from to become what it was made of.

Phew, I'm too long on my feet today to think about that stuff like that... :-/

Well. i strongly believe they should ask us first..haha not after death of course, but when nearly dying at least.... the ashes to ashes,dust to dust thing, is just not my thing. :wink:
As for the faith..i guess it has to do with a nation's/ tribe's/ race's culture..i mean there used to be a race (i can't remember the name right now but i'll come back with it-just need to search for it in Herodotus' Muses books- 9 books) that used to keep its dead for three days and then eat them, cause they believed that by doing so, they would keep their dead  alive inside of them!! How about that?

Souleraser

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #32 am: Mai 24, 2005, 09:35:15 Vormittag »
mean there used to be a race (i can't remember the name right now but i'll come back with it-just need to search for it in Herodotus' Muses books- 9 books) that used to keep its dead for three days and then eat them, cause they believed that by doing so, they would keep their dead  alive inside of them!! How about that?

I read about that, too, and I think it's plain and simply disgusting.

dorian jane

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #33 am: Mai 24, 2005, 10:37:10 Vormittag »
mean there used to be a race (i can't remember the name right now but i'll come back with it-just need to search for it in Herodotus' Muses books- 9 books) that used to keep its dead for three days and then eat them, cause they believed that by doing so, they would keep their dead  alive inside of them!! How about that?

I read about that, too, and I think it's plain and simply disgusting.

:lol: Yeah, i think so too, but apparently they did not.

Elentie

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #34 am: Mai 24, 2005, 11:33:05 Vormittag »
I wonder why they waited for three days...hm...

I can agree that it's disgusting, but if you think about it from their point if whew...without modern explanations to things...that was probebly completely logical to them.

Virvatuli

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #35 am: Mai 24, 2005, 12:06:17 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Elentie"
I wonder why they waited for three days...hm...

I can agree that it's disgusting, but if you think about it from their point if whew...without modern explanations to things...that was probebly completely logical to them.

I at least have heart that they waited three days so the soul could move on, and then eat the powers and wisdom of the body. Yummy.

Elentie

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #36 am: Mai 24, 2005, 12:24:07 Nachmittag »
*lol*
I see, well, if they want to do so then it's fine by me, I only hope that i don't have to.  :wink:

dorian jane

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #37 am: Mai 28, 2005, 11:40:54 Nachmittag »
Quoting to myself : Those who used to eat their dead, were several tribes from India, and the exact reason was that they wanted to gain their deads' virtues.

dorian jane

• Gast
BURNED OR BURIED?
« Antwort #38 am: Juni 03, 2005, 12:24:00 Vormittag »
I read this article in the Greek version of Investor's mag today.I only translated some parts as it is a big one, but still..Some of you may find it interesting.

"Burial prevailed against burning after the appearance of Christianity in Greece.In fact burial is neither a dogma, nor an obligation.  
It is a result of a long time practice, it is a custom.
Theoretically, the Orthodox Church doesn't accept burning the dead, but there isn't any official prohibition on the burning procedure.
Cremation doesn't take place in Greece not because it's illegal (there isn't a law that either prohibits or allows burning), but simply because there's no practical possibility.All the orthodox christians, or Greek citizens of other religion, who wish to be cremated have to be moved in countries where all presuppositions are fulfilled for the safe completion of this procedure.
Greeks are caried to Bulgaria,Rome, Munich,England, in order to be burned in "cutting edge" cremators - cause such machines are used in most countries that have respected articles 8 and 9 of the International Treaty of Human Rights.
In Norway a 70% of the dead gets cremated.67% in Denmark, 52% in New Zealand and Australia, 35% in Canada.
In countries such as Argentina,Austria,Belgium,China,France,Italy,Japan,Spain,Switzerland and America people get both buried and burned.
It isn't a matter of taking sides, but a matter of being aware of both procedures and a matter of defending our right to choose what will become of us when we shall no longer be.
Organisations have been founded lately, such as the "Union of Cremation supporters" and the "Commitee for Greek cremation center foundation" , which have rapidly become members of the ICF.   
Although proposals have been made to the Church, it seems that they are not taken into consideration and just because until now conflicts have been avoided between the State and the Church, the right to be burned remains ignored.
The ruling legislation regulates mostly the things concerning burial with law 448/68 and the presidential order 1128/80 and no burning prohibition results from these laws. On the contrary, law 1383/83 gives us the right to determine our after death fortune and by law 1492,chapter ζ, article 201 ashes and bones are both regarded as equal, which means that cremation is anticipated, otherwise there would be no ashes involved."

The article goes on with the advantages of burning. Less graveyard space.Clean and healthy ground.Much less money spent.Less suffering for the relatives. And last but not least, no myths and hocus pocus regarding death.

Greece is one of the most freedom loving/acting accordingly countries.Some things though really have to change.The right to be burned is one of them.