Autor Thema: Nicknames guys!! Give them out!!  (Gelesen 17414 mal)

dorian jane

• Gast
Nicknames guys!! Give them out!!
« am: April 15, 2005, 01:16:06 Vormittag »
Since most of us on the boards use nicknames..i think it would be interesting (at least for me!!) to know their origin.
So here goes mine.. Dorian comes from Dorian Grey (yeah, the one by Oscar Wilde)
Friends use to call me by that name, since it seems that while i'm getting older i look younger (hmmm :wonder: )
Jane comes from Calamity Jane.School mates used to call me by that name cause back then i was pretty much a calamity..
So, after some time it just felt right to put these two together.
So here i am.
Yours trully,

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: April 15, 2005, 01:44:33 Vormittag »
I'm the Angel Of Music,  Israfael (who I believe is common to the Islamic faith).

I also took my name from The Phantom of the Opera.  I became obsessed with it (musical, book, movies, etc...) in Junior High.  Gaston Leroux's novel is one of my favorite books.  I've read it 4 or 5 times now. :)

Cecilia

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: April 15, 2005, 03:55:18 Vormittag »
Cecilia

Ever heard the song Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel? Well, my Mom used to sing it to me. It's my earliest childhood memory. My real name is Stephanie, but Cecilia stuck with me through the years. I even chose Cecilia to be my confirmation name when I was in 8th grade.  :wink:

St. Cecilia, Patron Saint of Music.

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: April 15, 2005, 09:19:35 Vormittag »
Okay. Last time I told you guys about swamps and gasfires. I'm too tired for that now ;) I'll just give you the dictionary explanations..

Finnish to english:
virvatuli: (conception) will-o'-the-wisp
ignis

english - english dictionary (to non-native ;) )
will-o'-the-wisp: phosporescent light seen over marshy ground
(fig) something unreliable; elusive person or thing

Hmh, I don't like dictionaries :D
Truely I picked this nickname because I'm so hot inside ;)
No. Not. Truely truely? In finnish it has this wonderful mysterious, magical sound about it. And it sounds really beautiful. And isn't related to people in anyway. :roll: :wink:

This Dying Soul

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: April 15, 2005, 03:21:49 Nachmittag »
I am a recovering alcohalic and drug attick of almost 11 years now.. and my Favorite band is Dream theater... on their album 6 degrees of inner turbulance they have a song which the lyrics written by Mike Portnoy called This Glass Prison, that talks about the first steps of A.A and in the begining stages of recovery... well I wanted to change my nick to that but a friend already was using it in the official dream theater chat room..

when Dream Theater came out with their latest release "Train of Thought", they also wrote and song about it again. this, being the prelude to "The Glass Prison" called This Dying Soul.. so that is why I have this nick... not to mention it is a kick ass song

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: April 15, 2005, 04:28:31 Nachmittag »
Argh... this makes me nuts. I was pretty sure we had that topic already.
No offense, Jane, I couldn't find it myself ;)

Well, the story behind my "nickname" is short and simple: It's short for "Ambassador of Pain" which is a great song from KATAKLYSM:
http://darklyrics.com/lyrics/kataklysm/serenityinfire.html#1

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: April 15, 2005, 05:50:05 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AoP"
Argh... this makes me nuts. I was pretty sure we had that topic already.
No offense, Jane, I couldn't find it myself ;)

Though i'm new here and haven't browsed through every topic yet, i haven't stumbled on anything relevant  so far. No offense taken AoP , though i wonder why you thought  i might be offended.
P.S.: Great lyrics!! They made me search on the web for the music as well, and here i am now , ready to jump into their site.
See ya !!

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: April 16, 2005, 12:12:09 Vormittag »
@AoP: I've downloaded "Courage through hope" (Victims of this fallen world album- i know you already knew that !! ).Great music.I expected to hear a voice more matching though..but then i guess that's only my opinion (and we all know what opinions are like.. :wink:  )

(Damn! Is this out of subject  or what...  :wall: )

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: April 16, 2005, 08:04:55 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "dorian jane"
@AoP: I've downloaded "Courage through hope" (Victims of this fallen world album-

Personally, I think that the albums released via Hypnotic Records are all... well, they're not worth being checked out, except for really die hard fans who want to know everything from the band.  I definitely recommend the albums released via Nuclear Blast. The best albums (by far!) are "Prophecy (Stigmata of the Immaculate)", "Epic (The Poetry of War)", "Shadows and Dust" and "Serenity in Fire", yeah, all the new stuff. The band definitely matured in the years of their existence which showed well in the progress they made with every album.

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: April 16, 2005, 02:58:18 Nachmittag »
MIne is not too exciting but I work as a Registered Nurse here in the US, and we are called RN for short in the medical field. I listen to Heavy Metal and it ws a nick name given to me by my fellow workers, and I started signing my e mails that  way, and then used it when Bleeding redid their boards over. Thus The Metal RN.

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: April 16, 2005, 05:56:26 Nachmittag »
@Everyone: Oh you funny , inventive, inspired, sensitive , never giving up souls..

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #11 am: April 18, 2005, 10:19:29 Vormittag »
Haha, I felt the same way, AoP, and I think I found the threat. :)

http://boards.bleeding4metal.de/viewtopic.php?t=13
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: April 18, 2005, 03:12:32 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Odin"
Haha, I felt the same way, AoP, and I think I found the threat. :)

http://boards.bleeding4metal.de/viewtopic.php?t=13

Yap, you got me there and though i've browsed this topic, didn't remember it. Maybe cause the title wasn't relevant to the nickname thing. But seems that many people that have been here much longer than i am, have forgotten about it too. Plus, there have been some new members since then (and more nicknames given out in this new old topic).
Anyway, since you are  "root and master of it all" , you can do whatever you like with this one.  :whatever:
Cheers!!

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #13 am: April 18, 2005, 03:17:43 Nachmittag »
No no, this was not meant to shut down this new topic, Dorian_Jane! :)

You are right, there is new information in this threat, so just keep going. I just tried to prove AoP's and my feelings right with the link to the old post.  8)
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: April 18, 2005, 06:09:54 Nachmittag »
Thank you Odin  :D