Autor Thema: Yet another GvG thread...  (Gelesen 5229 mal)

The Great Deceiver

• Gast
Yet another GvG thread...
« am: Juli 27, 2005, 09:32:17 Nachmittag »
Alright, I've been a big Falconer fan since the self titled album. I heard 'Upon the Grave of Guilt' on a local metal show a few days before the album was out and have eagerly awaited every release since. I thought Scepter of Deception was a mediocre album, and am very glad to hear what I hear on Grime vs Grandeur. I'm having trouble understanding all the negative reviews of this album. It seems to me that the people who speak poorly of it are not really Falconer fans. I mean, they might own a couple of albums, but by no means do they really understand and appreciate the band. That's the only explanation I can come up with, because this new effort is killer. People need to accept the fact that Mathias was largely responsible for the folk sound everyone is whining about now. That, and the lyrics which I do agree have gone downhill considerably on this one. But I can tell the feeling of the original Falconer is back on GvG, with the songwriting and great riffs and harmonies coming back full force. The drumming is tight as always and I think now that Kristoffer isn't trying to sing like Mathias, his vocals on this album are more powerful and focused because he is singing the way he wants. Anyway, just my two cents. I can't stand by and watch such a great band to be bashed by people who think they're some sort of metal authority when they clearly don't know a thing about the band. Stefan, I commend you on this effort, and I know the next one will be prime Falconer at this rate.

Anonymous

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 28, 2005, 01:50:43 Vormittag »
the music itself is good, but the falconer everyone has come to love has left with mathias, now they just sound like a 80 metal band :P

Anonymous

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Juli 28, 2005, 01:52:29 Vormittag »
the uniqueness is gone, and i dont like it! but i bought the cd and i listen to it, but it just doesnt compare with the others.... not bashin the band, but just disapointed

kailef

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Juli 28, 2005, 06:18:00 Vormittag »
The more I listen, the more I like it.  I do miss some of the folk music element that used to be a bit more prevalent, and I also miss some of the cleaner-sounding vocals, but Kriss does great with either type.  The next album, whenever it comes out, is certain to be awesome.

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Juli 28, 2005, 11:50:13 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Anonymous"
the music itself is good, but the falconer everyone has come to love has left with mathias, now they just sound like a 80 metal band :P

What, is that a bad thing?

miked79

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Juli 29, 2005, 12:44:07 Vormittag »
for me yes, cuz they were so unique , thats why i liked them so much, no they just sound so plain too me :(

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Juli 29, 2005, 02:53:23 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "miked79"
[now] they just sound so plain too me :(

Then you need to listen more carefully. Even though the new album does sound very reminiscent of traditional / power metal, the uniqueness is still there.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Juli 29, 2005, 03:04:47 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Mindtraveller"

Then you need to listen more carefully. Even though the new album does sound very reminiscent of traditional / power metal, the uniqueness is still there.

Definitely agree with that statement. :)

kailef

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: Juli 29, 2005, 05:45:57 Vormittag »
It's becoming more and more so for me, now.

The songs that I absolutely love are, in no particular order:

Purgatory Time
    Humanity Overdose
    Child of the Wild
    No Tears for Strangers
    Jack the Knife
Each of them has something unique and engrossing about them.  I'm sure I'll grow to feel the same about the other tracks in time, as well.

The Great Deceiver

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: August 03, 2005, 10:48:04 Nachmittag »
I defintely agree with you Mindtraveller, that's where my main problem lies with most of the reviews and other shit I've read regarding GvG. It's still Falconer dammit, people just need to pay more attention and understand where the changes occurred, instead of saying the same 'it's not folky so it sucks' bullshit. I know not everybody who dislikes this album says that, and that's ok. Different strokes, right? But way too many so called metal critics who unfortunately get to express their opinions no matter how uneducated through various review sites. All I say is pick up this album and give it a few spins, decide for yourself. I recommend all the songs kailef listed as his fav, as well as Emotional Skies, The Return (love the growls, btw. almost reminds me of Mithotyn), and The Assailant.

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: August 04, 2005, 04:20:57 Nachmittag »
One of the songs that reminds me the most of 'old' Falconer is Jack the Knife, which is a little odd when you conider it was written by Kriss. One of my favourites from GvG. :D

Kristoffer

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: August 05, 2005, 08:09:26 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Radagast"
One of the songs that reminds me the most of 'old' Falconer is Jack the Knife, which is a little odd when you conider it was written by Kriss. One of my favourites from GvG. :D

And you are not the first with that opinion, ha ha!
I have heard many how thinks that "Jack" is the only song wich sounds like the "old" albums.

And to Mr. The Great Deceiver I just want to say: Thank you for your for your thoughts!
I will graunt a little bit extra for you on the next album!

/ Kriss

The Great Deceiver

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: August 19, 2005, 08:43:17 Nachmittag »
Thanks Kristoffer, I'll hold you to that statement. And if the next album has no growls, I'll have to find you and have some words...after all I saw your premiere at BWBK in Cleveland so I know what you look like :twisted:  
Take care, keep up the great vocal work!