Autor Thema: Song by song commentary on Grime Vs Granduer from Stefan.  (Gelesen 6964 mal)

Anonymous

• Gast
Song by song commentary on Grime Vs Granduer from Stefan.
« am: Mai 19, 2005, 08:14:58 Nachmittag »
At Metal Covenant we have just started a new section called: Song by Song Commentary.
In this section we let artists comment and tell the stories behind their new releases song by song.
Stefan was one of the first to send in his comments and they can now be read along with the comments from Dreamaker's Elisa C. Martin about their album Enclosed.

Check it out, I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

www.MetalCovenant.com
Your Daily Dose Of Metal!

Kristoffer

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Mai 19, 2005, 09:41:51 Nachmittag »
Cool!

/ Kriss

Radagast

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Mai 19, 2005, 11:39:29 Nachmittag »
Very nice indeed.

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Mai 20, 2005, 12:38:40 Vormittag »
Wow! The artist's insight, track by track. (It is sort of like the Director's commentary on DVDs) Great idea!

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Mai 20, 2005, 06:34:56 Vormittag »
I just geekspasmed with joy. *thumbs up*

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Mai 20, 2005, 07:09:06 Vormittag »
Wow, good job!
Great insight into the material!  :)

There used to be a song by song commentary on "Chapters from a Vale forlorn" by Stefan on the metalblade website.
Unfortunately I can't find it there anymore.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Mai 20, 2005, 08:37:00 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "Prab"
There used to be a song by song commentary on "Chapters from a Vale forlorn" by Stefan on the metalblade website.
Unfortunately I can't find it there anymore.

I have it around. If you want, I can look for it and post it here or send it to you.

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Mai 20, 2005, 09:29:50 Vormittag »
Yeah, why not post it here :)

Metal Missionary

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: Mai 20, 2005, 05:16:36 Nachmittag »
That is a pretty good idea and very informative.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: Mai 20, 2005, 05:55:17 Nachmittag »
Here it is.
-----------

song-by-song list :

from Stefan Weinerhall of FALCONER about the new album "Chapters From A Vale Forlorn"

"Decadence of dignity": A fast song that deals with mans greed. We sell everything as long as we can make a buck on it fast and don't think about the consequences. The most power metal song on the album.

"Enter the glade": A rocky and swingy song about religious profiteers, cheating people of both hope and money. One of my favesongs from the new one.

"Lament of a minstrel": A really slow song like "The past still lives on". The title says all about the lyrics...

"For life and liberty": A song that is more riff based with a lot of variations, fast and slow. Just perfect. The lyric deals with the tension between man and it's archenemy, the wolf. I think the wolf has a too bad reputation as he has often been a scapegoat for man. A favesong too.

"We sold our homesteads": One more traditional song about the Swedish history. It deals with the emigrants from Sweden to America during the 19th century. Slightly re-arranged to get more variation. A heavy song just like "Per Tyrsson."

"The Clarion call": A critical song about war. Masters and leaders often seek power and land and the people gain nothing on it, they just loose. A theme that has and always will be present. Yet another song with variation in all ways.

"Portals of light": A ballad that, that´s at least what I think, turned out really good. Yet one favesong. The story is about loosing a love, in this case into death but I think most of us know the feeling anyway.

"Stand in veneration": A swingy little tune about natures superiority over mankind. Written in the same style as "A quest.." but yet not.

"Busted to the floor": A song that could have been taken from the 70's. Catchy rock with Andy on lead guitar and we have some Hammond organ in it. A bit of a hippysong about broken confidences.

Mindtraveller

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: Mai 20, 2005, 06:03:41 Nachmittag »
And here are Stefan's comments on the debut album songs:

"Upon The Grave Of Guilt" is dealing with the feelings of guilt, a feeling that can be pretty hard to escape. I think most people have felt this in some degree.

"Heresy In Disguise" came to me after watching the excellent movie ("In the name of the rose") with Sean Connery. A monk going heretic in the monastery, no deeper meaning behind it just a lyric.

"Wings Of Serenity" is dealing with mankind's constant chase of the time, always trying to chase the precious day while the free eagle just soars the sky looking down at the foolish man, wasting his day in strife for money and success.

"A Quest For The Crown" is a little story of a lost crown causing damnation to its country until it's found again. It's just a medieval saga I am very proud of, I think it is a bit in the vein of theatre-plays, although not in the same league as them but it has the same feeling.

"Mindtraveller" is about a search throughout the mind for a higher conscience. Why were we put here on earth, what is the meaning of life, have we forgotten how to live in harmony with the rest of the planet?

"Entering Eternity" is a story of the last journey we will do sooner or later (die), I know it's not that original to do a lyric about this topic since many have done it before but anyway I think it turned out pretty well. Me myself don't believe in any afterlife. I'm pretty realistic and think that one will just rot away when one is dead since I think the "soul" is just an imaginary thing our minds have made up.

"Royal Galley" is based upon a true event happening outside of Stockholm in 1628. The new built ship "Wasa" was to do its maidenvoyage but since it was built too high compared to its keel it tipped over pretty soon. In reality the king was luckily not on board at this moment as he were in my version.

"Substitutional World" is also one of the lyrics on the album I'm most satisfied with. It deals with the never-ending fact that man is ready to sell out his future as long as he can make a profit today, thereby ending up as a bubbleboy surrounded by the polluted world, just laughing him back in his face. As we all know it isn't economically prosperous to think about the side-effects on our environment, it never has and never will thereby we'll gladly destroy it.

"Lord Of The Blacksmiths" is inspired of fantasy and mythology. I often say that my lyrics are not fantasy, but this is and I think it's the worst lyric on the album, This one would have fitted better in Mithotyn I think but at least it's a lyric.

"The Past Still Lives On" is a little song about the past you shortly could say. I often think a bit deeper into the past as I behold something of great age. One can almost hear the sounds and see the life of the past if you really dream yourself away.

The bonustrack is called "The Ballad Of Per Tyrssons Daughters In Vänga" in English and it's said to be true story, a bit spiced up through the years I suppose. Three sisters went to church but on the road they met three "bad guys". They had to choose between becoming their wives or being killed, they chose the latter. At the place they were killed there were three wells. As the three crooks came to a nearby farm and they tried to sell the sisters' silkclothing, but the wife at the farm recognised the clothes and called her man. The man slained the two eldest of the crooks and then he asked the third who their parents were and the third one answered the name of the man and his wife, it turned out they are the three long gone sons of theirs they didn't recognise. As he had slained two of his sons he felt like he had to get penance for his soul so he decided to build a church for his soul, therefor we now have a church called Karna church about 20 miles from where we live. It was thought to be just a bonus for the Japanese but Metal blade liked it too much so they put it on the 5000 first in the rest of the world too. We will probably do traditional songs as bonustracks in the future too since I think they are not that different from our regular songs. A translation can be seen on our homepage.

jakob_hasse

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: Mai 20, 2005, 08:10:38 Nachmittag »
I like the comments on "No tears for strangers", as I've already heard people who thought of the strangers in the song as racial strangers. The song should then be a reaction to the huge immigration Sweden has been facing the last decade.

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: Mai 24, 2005, 02:01:54 Vormittag »
I sent the "off topic" postings to http://boards.bleeding4metal.de/viewtopic.php?t=702

thomas M.

• Gast
Grime Vs. Grandeur
« Antwort #13 am: Juli 09, 2005, 03:25:08 Vormittag »
I personally think this new CD never should have been produced under the band name of falconer. It ruins the image of what falconer once  was. You had brought power metal to a new extreme with your constant medieval themes that marked the band you were. You producing this CD is like watching a good punk band go EMO  :cry:.