Autor Thema: Gods, faith, mythology  (Gelesen 8239 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« am: Mai 20, 2005, 06:23:04 Nachmittag »
The Clarion Call is definitely one of my favorite songs.  One day, while my mom and I were listening to it she commented:  "'Who's side is God really on?' I love that!  Every warring country thinks God is on their side and not the enemy's."

And Mindtraveller (another one of my favs) reminds me of Buddhism.

The metal geek in me has just exploded with joy.

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #1 am: Mai 20, 2005, 06:51:08 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
The Clarion Call is definitely one of my favorite songs.  One day, while my mom and I were listening to it she commented:  "'Who's side is God really on?' I love that!  Every warring country thinks God is on their side and not the enemy's

1.Yeah, Clarion Call is a great song !
2.Gods don't take sides, no matter what leaders say in order to convince people of their
justified causes.
3.Countries at war need to believe that God is on their side and not the enemy's. It's part of the brainwash they are subjected to.
4.Did i mention that Clarion Call is a great song?  :wink:

TexJoachim

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #2 am: Mai 20, 2005, 08:52:07 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "dorian jane"

2.Gods don't take sides, no matter what leaders say in order to convince people of their
justified causes.

Just because the Christian God doesn't, it does not mean that other gods won't.
:)

Mythology knows a number of war gods with only one hand/eye... that took sides.

Greetz,

Tex

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #3 am: Mai 20, 2005, 11:46:52 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"

justified causes.

Just because the Christian God doesn't, it does not mean that other gods won't.

Greetz,

Tex

See the plural s in Gods?  :)
As for Gods taking sides, i wanted to exclude at least the Greek gods in the first place, (e.g.: in the war between Greeks and Trojans ) , but with writing what i did,obviously my intention was different.. :wink:

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #4 am: Mai 21, 2005, 03:52:37 Vormittag »
There's a theory that the pagan gods (Norse, Greek/Roman, Native American, etc...) are the children of angels who came to earth and said "Heeeyyyy, we can have some fun here, WOO!"  And they did.

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #5 am: Mai 22, 2005, 08:21:30 Nachmittag »
There's a theory that the pagan gods (Norse, Greek/Roman, Native American, etc...) are the children of angels who came to earth and said "Heeeyyyy, we can have some fun here, WOO!"  And they did.

Whose theory is that?  :wonder:  First of all the word pagan, regarding all the afore mentioned Gods, is given to them by the Christians who wanted to make them sound evil, wrong and not worthy of being worshiped by the people. This word did not exist back in the old days/ways.
Angels exist only in the new religions .The old religions had to do with good and bad demons-where obviously the word demon had a totally different meaning than it has now.
I think that a theory that places angels before the old gods and sends them to earth in order to have fun, is at least ridiculous if not  suspicious.
Since this is a wrong topic for this kind of discussion, and if there are others who are interested in continuing it, i would kindly ask our administrators to move it from here and put it somewhere more appropriate.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #6 am: Mai 22, 2005, 09:40:09 Nachmittag »

Whose theory is that?  :wonder:  First of all the word pagan, regarding all the afore mentioned Gods, is given to them by the Christians who wanted to make them sound evil, wrong and not worthy of being worshiped by the people. This word did not exist back in the old days/ways.
Angels exist only in the new religions .The old religions had to do with good and bad demons-where obviously the word demon had a totally different meaning than it has now.
I think that a theory that places angels before the old gods and sends them to earth in order to have fun, is at least ridiculous if not  suspicious.
Since this is a wrong topic for this kind of discussion, and if there are others who are interested in continuing it, i would kindly ask our administrators to move it from here and put it somewhere more appropriate.

It really shouldn't matter who's theory it is.  I just thought it was an interesting one.  And I will point out that I did not say they were sent here to have fun.  They could have done so of their own accord.  However, since religions are amorphous/abstract at best, don't go taking everything I say as written in stone.  I said it's a theory.  Not that you have to/should believe it.  The point of faith is to find your own truth, and you can take or leave the things other people throw out there as you will.  Sheesh, next time I'll just keep the things I think are interesting to myself.  :P

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #7 am: Mai 23, 2005, 11:35:24 Vormittag »

It really shouldn't matter who's theory it is.  I just thought it was an interesting one.  And I will point out that I did not say they were sent here to have fun.  They could have done so of their own accord.  However, since religions are amorphous/abstract at best, don't go taking everything I say as written in stone.  I said it's a theory.  Not that you have to/should believe it.  The point of faith is to find your own truth, and you can take or leave the things other people throw out there as you will.  Sheesh, next time I'll just keep the things I think are interesting to myself.  :P

I feel i pissed you off somehow and i never intented to do that. It's just that I accept  theories only when they result from valid sources or when they give me a bibliography to do my own research. So i guess it does matter to me whose theory any theory is.
I don't expect to find the ultimate truth but i can dig up ,find some facts, join them together and come up with some bits and pieces of it, at least.
I don't regard religions as amorphous or abstract. Many of them, as well as their gods, are not. On the contrary , i would say that they are pretty clear and concrete.
And please, do keep sharing the things you find interesting  :) ..not much progress would be made among the human race if we didn't share things with each other.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #8 am: Mai 24, 2005, 12:04:19 Vormittag »
No no, not pissed off.  Just feeling a bit defensive.  Misunderstandings happen, no big deal. :)  Text is difficult for conveying emotion.  I WOULD like to continue a similar discussion, but as you said earlier, a new thread should probably be started.

Souleraser

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #9 am: Mai 24, 2005, 12:18:18 Vormittag »
Should I move some of the postings to a new topic (and area)? If so, tell me which.

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #10 am: Mai 24, 2005, 12:45:46 Vormittag »
Yeah, please do! I think that the first post by Angel of music would be suited for moving to a new topic, but then Jacob_hasse says something different.What do you think about it @AoP?

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #11 am: Mai 24, 2005, 12:52:24 Vormittag »
No no, not pissed off.  Just feeling a bit defensive.

I can understand that. :)

Misunderstandings happen, no big deal. :)  Text is difficult for conveying emotion.

Oh yes..it is..

I WOULD like to continue a similar discussion, but as you said earlier, a new thread should probably be started.

:D

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #12 am: Mai 24, 2005, 10:49:56 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"

Just like Har , the one-eyed?

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #13 am: Mai 26, 2005, 02:44:32 Vormittag »
Seeing so many ancient gods' nicknames on the boards, -not just this one- makes me wonder-do all these people really believe in these gods? Chosing a god's name certainly means a lot of things.But still, is it true belief to the god, or is it just the god's vices and virtues  one uses to describe himself?

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #14 am: Mai 26, 2005, 07:01:50 Vormittag »
OR, do you just like that god the best? :)  

On Ebay and on another board I use the name HelNorseGoddess because I happen to like Hel.  Alot.  There is not nearly enough information/lore about her, and I feel she is one of the most underrated figures in Norse Mythology.  Hel is awesome.