Autor Thema: Gods, faith, mythology  (Gelesen 8238 mal)

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #15 am: Mai 26, 2005, 09:58:15 Vormittag »
Hm, I guess this question somehow aimed at me... ;)

I don't believe in the norse gods to be anything but sagas, lores. But I like the atmosphere, the stories and the virtues, yeah. :)
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #16 am: Mai 26, 2005, 01:20:15 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
OR, do you just like that god the best? :)  

On Ebay and on another board I use the name HelNorseGoddess because I happen to like Hel.  Alot.  There is not nearly enough information/lore about her, and I feel she is one of the most underrated figures in Norse Mythology.  Hel is awesome.

Hel or Hela, the goddess of the dead.Daughter of Loki and Angerboda.Sister of Jormungand (the evil Misgand serpent) and Fenrir (the giant wolf).She was easy to recognise because half of her was black and the other half was normal skin colour.Odin threw her into Niflheim , the world of darkness where she resided .Hel was also the world of the dead.
There are many similarities with the Greek mythology. In Greece Persephoni - daughter of Dimitra (goddess of crops and fertility)  was the goddess of the underworld -Hades- which she ruled together with her husband Pluton -lord of the underworld realm- but she only stayed there half of the year , the other half she lived above. (It was the reason why half of the year was fall/winter -Dimitra crying for the loss of her daughter- and the other half spring/summer -Dimitra rejoycing -.
And Odin, this question didn't aim at you..only  :wink:

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #17 am: Mai 26, 2005, 03:21:22 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "dorian jane"
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"
OR, do you just like that god the best? :)  

On Ebay and on another board I use the name HelNorseGoddess because I happen to like Hel.  Alot.  There is not nearly enough information/lore about her, and I feel she is one of the most underrated figures in Norse Mythology.  Hel is awesome.

Hel or Hela, the goddess of the dead.Daughter of Loki and Angerboda.Sister of Jormungand (the evil Misgand serpent) and Fenrir (the giant wolf).She was easy to recognise because half of her was black and the other half was normal skin colour.Odin threw her into Niflheim , the world of darkness where she resided .Hel was also the world of the dead.

I already knew that. ;)  I have books of Norse Lore.  It's not that you CAN'T find info about her, it's just that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of stories, tales, or anything about her other than she's part of Loki's brood, she rules Helheim, and her bottom half is a corpse.  That's about it.  But you can find tons of info and tales about Thor, Odin, and the other, more popular gods.  We know about their characters, how they handle various situations, whether or not they are kind, brutish, mean, fun-loving, etc...but there really isn't much about what Hel is like.  There are hardly any stories concerning her.  She's just a passing thought in the folklore, and this really annoys me.

And I HAVE noticed the similarities to greek mythology.  All the Norse Gods have their Greek counterparts.  Just like Allah, Jehova, God, Yaweh, etc...all tend to be the same deity.  But then, my own beliefs are starting to color my writing, so I'll just stop now. :P

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #18 am: Mai 26, 2005, 05:13:13 Nachmittag »
Hehe i was sure you did  :) , i was just showing off hahaha  :mrgreen:  I agree with you , there are indeed some gods that take all the credit while some others stay in the dark. It is the same with Greek mythology. Maybe you could -if you haven't already-do a bit of searching into cults, mysticistic religions etc, there's a possibility of finding yr goddess in there.. i know i found many things regarding Pan (the greek goat-feet god) -who is my favourite god of all-by doing so.
And yes , I think too that all contemporary gods tend to be just one..it's not just my personal belief but plain logic which makes me result to this conclusion.

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #19 am: Mai 26, 2005, 08:38:14 Nachmittag »
Well, part of the reason I joined the faith I'm now a part of is because their beliefs matched the conclusions I drew on my own.  The faith fit ME, I didn't have to conform to fit it.  Which I believe is how it should be. :)

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #20 am: Mai 26, 2005, 10:56:22 Nachmittag »
I cannot speak for others , but ancient Greeks had Gods that were very much alike the human beings..(except for the powers of course).One of the reasons, i think, was that they wanted Gods to be approachable/ tangible and i think Gods wanted the same thing.They wanted to commune with the humans, they never expected a certain way of behaving or being from them.The matter of religion itself was rather philosophical than           theological.So i would say that Greeks had a religion fit for them and not one they had to fit in. As for contemporary gods and religions, i'm so against all their prohibitions and expectations and their constant reminding of panishment and hell, sometimes i think that they weren't meant for humans after all.

Mas

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #21 am: Mai 28, 2005, 09:34:50 Nachmittag »
I do a study Nors mythology and Freya is one of my favorites, she was not afraid for a batlle.

Do i dont believe in any God but every culture have hís own mythology and i realy love the Nors.

dorian jane

• Gast
Gods, faith, mythology
« Antwort #22 am: Mai 28, 2005, 11:35:56 Nachmittag »
It is indeed worthy of sinking yr teeth into  :)