Autor Thema: is their any one who can help me with an avitar  (Gelesen 11793 mal)

This Dying Soul

• Gast
is their any one who can help me with an avitar
« am: Oktober 09, 2004, 10:37:55 Vormittag »
ok so we all know that I am not the brightest light bulb in the bunch when it comes to computer shit.. so here we go.. I need some one to help me be able to take a pic from the mikeportnoy.com website and turn it into an avitar so I can use it here since I dont much care for the selection of avitars used here.... if any one can help me you will find it on the site under this .jpg text MIKEY1.jpg ... any one who can help me would be doing me a great favor.... thanks NEED MUCH HELP IM JUST A REDNECK lmao  :shock:

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Oktober 09, 2004, 03:09:52 Nachmittag »
Couldn't find that pic anywhere on the site.
:(

Do you have a link to it?

Greetz,

Tex

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Oktober 09, 2004, 08:14:42 Nachmittag »
Neither could I.
Ryan, more details please or preferably a ready-to-use adress right away.

shadowman

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Oktober 09, 2004, 09:54:28 Nachmittag »
Nothing to do with avatar issues there Ryan, but you use the word
'redneck' quite a lot.
Could you explain to me - a non american - what excactly is meant by that word ?

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Oktober 09, 2004, 10:37:50 Nachmittag »
I'll try to provide an answer until Ryan gets back to answer himself.

AFAIK the word "Redneck" originates in the times before the american civil war - dividing the country in "Rednecks" and "Yankees", which both are not really nice terms to describe the people of the "Southern states" and the "Northern states".

Today the term "Redneck" is even less pollite than it was in those days. Today it has only negative aspects and basically means an impolite, not too smart, unattractive person - and of course still refers to people coming from or living in the southern states of the US.
Things like prejudice against people who are "different" in their behaviour, faith, origin, skin color etc. are also included in that term.

To get this clear: The above is not my opinion. It is only a reproduction of what I have heard and read about the term "redneck" and what it means and/or ment.

This Dying Soul

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 03:13:27 Vormittag »
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT A DAMN MINUTE YANKE!!!! LOL I' just joking...

Basti in both of what you said carrys truth to the term in a negative way and is very correct..... but their is yet another meaning for the word "REDNECK" that most people over see..

it is that of the people who live in the culture of being proud of the fact that they are behind the times hence where they live is not as modern nor sofisticated as others, the vehicle that they drive, things that they have in their home, how they dress, music that they listen to, apliances that they use and own in their homes stuff like that.. basically to sum it up it is some one who is basically a country hick who just hasnt nor cares to catch up with the generation an of the times... some one who does not follow technologie or trends to todays aspect..

like me for example, i drive a old 1979 Ford Bronco with huge ass tires and solid wheels that screems country hick all over it not to mention that I do not live in the city.. it has stickers all over it of a country boys favorite pass time tv program "NASCAR" I have three to four different ball caps to chose from on the dash board to chose from depending on whether I am going into a store a gas station a church the post office out some place to eat or just because I feel like changing the hat I am wearing.. more or less they are decoration and pride of showing off how many hats I own and what I support, like my camoflage buck hunting knife hat, my black and red Dale Earnhardt Jr. hat, my fancy red Dale Jr. hat, my greyt west coast choppers hat and so on and so forth... and on a normal basis I cahnge the hats off my dash board twice or more a month.. (lets you know how many hats I own 700+ to be exact) ow dont forget the fact that my bronco is so high in the air that i have to jump in to get in the dammed things, has rust in places I dont care to fix and primer on the tail gate.. does the term drive it until the doors fall off mean any thing to you lmao... and the kicker of it all is that I have loud exhuast and the price of the wheels and tires cost me more and are worth more then the price of the bronco its self... ever heard of the Jeff Foxworthy joke, " if your tires on your truck, cost more then your truck, 'YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK'!!!!!"

ok now on to the next part of the meaning of REDNECK... I am behind the times of techknologie, i dont care for much when it comes to it, only reason I own a stereo with a cd player is because it is impossible to find good music on vinyl or tape, and you all know that the sound of vinyl and tape is much better then the digital sound of music. analog gives real feeling to sound not digital enhancement.. only reason I ahve a computer is because I like to follow bands not because I ever use the damn thing.. hell I get on to check mail from friends post in hear and have my ability to chat.. thats it.. other then that the computer which is the most up to todays fashion of living is the only thing I have that stays to date.. i dont use it for anything else and I dont knwo how to use it nor do I know how to do things with a computer like the rest of you all do.. i have a hard time just getting cd's ripped to mp3 format so I can burn em for variaty artist or compelation cds for myself or for other friends.. my house isnt fancy I dont have every thing electronically up to date that you can get at circut city or best buy. I live in the country not the city, I hate the city and yes I do have a problem with alot of people live north of the mason dixie line (civil wars times) and I do call em yankes, why because I ahte their attitude their life styles the corruptions they bring to my country and how they deface every thing our fore fathers built for us morally to stand and live by, not all do I hate but a majority I do... i hate holier then thow Im better then you I ahve more then you i rule you people and the majority of em come from yanke states...

with that i hope that I was able to explain the "other" idea of the word "REDNECK" and why it applys to me.. it is not a lifestyle that I have fully explained or I feel is better then any one elses. each to their own, but this works for me.. and I love who I am..

any thing else i might have missed or havent answered yet let me know I would love to elaborate more on this topic for all you non americans and even for the americans who have no idea and true concept for my lifestyle and the real phrase behind the word "REDNECK" with love to ya all Im out for now.......HEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAA :fuck:  :bluebanger:  :ass:

grym

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 03:43:46 Vormittag »
Ok, i'm way to hungover to read all of that, but i skimmed through it, and that's what i mean when i say redneck aswell  8)

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 05:49:49 Nachmittag »
Well I am a "New England Yankee"  (not to be confused with a Yankee fan, i'm not, hate them. I'm a Red Soxs fan, but that's another story)   One quarter of my heritage goes back to the pilgrims. While Ryan uses the term Yankee to refer to all those above the MD line and dislikes a certain behavior of those northerners  we here in the north look at the term completely differently. Or you could say it has another side just like Redneck.

Words to describe Yankees  are frugal, thrifty, ingenuity, quiet, self-sufficient,  shrewd, and conservative. They're old timers that don't like anything "new fangled" or flashy,  they can be very suspisous of anything new,like technology, unless you can prove to them it has a functional purpose. They don't do things for the sake of doing what is new. They like the tried and true. They make it if they can instead of buy it.  When they buy its practical. They buy  a sensible car and drive it until it dies  (although I don't see a lot of Bondo fix up jobs haha) giving it all the proper maintenance it requires. They are not the ones buying the flashy luxury cars. Generally  they repair their own vehicles. My husbands Blazer is newer than  Ryan's, 1995, but he bought it used, it has like 160000 miles on it and he fixes it for the most part himself.  His tires don't cost more than his truck. He bought them cheap from a warehouse store. (those big tires aren't functional and just seem like senseless frivolity.)
Yankees  have well kept up, functional houses that they live in sometimes for generations. They  are not the ones who over extend themselves financially on these huge 6000 sq. ft. houses  to impress their neighbors and that need two partners working long hours, ignoring their ungrateful  kids who they give too much to anyway, to be able to afford.  Items they  buy to make life easier  are to be maintained and repaired not purchased, broken and tossed out to buy the next latest model.  With new technology, they  wait to see whether it catches on with people first before they ever buy something. And then they buy only if it is something that is  truly needed. I think it was only about a year ago when I couldn't find anything  on cassettes any more that  I put one of those portable CD players in my car.  That CD player was a gift, I didn't even buy it and I had refused to play the ridiculous price to have one installed. I do have my eye on a Plasma TV though! I really want one! of course I've  been shopping for one for 4 years now, waiting for the technologhy to be perfected and the price to come down and besides our old TV is still working  just fine. :lol:

Metal RN's hat collection could rival yours Ryan  although, he wears his for practical reasons. He's big on his MP3 player.....no wait a minute.......I think there is at least  an equal part of "Geek" in him so  I'll stop here.

Hey I hope no one thinks this is an argument or something!  I am not upset or offended by Ryan post.  @ Ryan   I think you and I, a Redneck and a Yankee,  share a dislike of the same  attitudes whatever name you call them by.
I think we all have some misconceptions of what  people from other areas or countries  are like.   My husband and I have some friend from Sweden and we have been told how nice and how  soft spoken we are,  that they always thought Americans were sort of loud and obnoxious.  Then we found out that most  Americans that visited their home town  were from the great state of Texas. Well that explains a lot! Texans are  loud and annoyingly  larger than life, could be view as obnoxious by a gentler, quieter people (could be viewed as obnoxious by ANYBODY outside of Texas haha).

Jeff Foxworthy is a hoot! I love redneck humor. It's important that we don't take ourselves too seriously and that we can laugh at ourselves.  Where are all the Yankee humorists these days?

@  Ryan could you explain NASCAR to me ? That is one thing I just don't get at all. :rolleyes:  :insane:

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 06:16:12 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Metalmaiden"
He's big on his MP3 player.....no wait a minute.......I think there is at least  an equal part of "Geek" in him so  I'll stop here.

Ouch, I tend to prefer the phrase..."scientifically and technologoically adaptable" thank you  :P

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #9 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 06:29:14 Nachmittag »
How about  NERD?
 :laugh:

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 06:37:47 Nachmittag »
As an aside: what is the plural form of "Y'all?"

"All Y'all!"
:D

Greetz,

Tex

grym

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 06:52:09 Nachmittag »
Y'all = You all.

How many you all's can there be?!  :shock:  :?  :(

:wink:

shadowman

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 06:55:04 Nachmittag »
Boy, what a reply !
I took my time to get through all of this... It seems this is a typical American thing that is hard to understand and come by by us-non Americans.

Is the Redneck-Yankee thing some kind of Republican-Democrate thing ?

Hey, pardon my ignorance, I am just eager to learn here..

:roll:

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 06:59:53 Nachmittag »
Haha!  I have friends in Texas and one  "Y'all" is enough down there! Because with their drawl and accent they  stretch it out for like 5 minutes .. "Yyyyyyyyah...aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhllllll"

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: Oktober 10, 2004, 07:12:39 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "shadowman"

Is the Redneck-Yankee thing some kind of Republican-Democrate thing ?

Not  really.They are not political parties.  It is not really  political at all. Yankees and Rednecks can be of either political party. Although there are some political issues that are considered to be sort of part of being a Yankee or Redneck.  For an example - one of the parties is known for "gun control"  but the stereotype of a Rednecks  are quite often identified  with shot-gun racks in their pickup trucks.  Hunting and Rednecks  (some not all)   go together although Yankees  who live out in the back woods are big on hunting as well.

As a country we are made of up very seperate states each with it own identity as well as rules and government.  (imagine Europe as a Union after  225 years.)  But we do have a central government over us all. We are a very large country and life in New England is quite different  than life in the South, and they are both very different  than say llife in California!