Autor Thema: Weekend trip and an evil sunburn from hell  (Gelesen 11693 mal)

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Weekend trip and an evil sunburn from hell
« am: Juni 20, 2005, 08:53:39 Nachmittag »
Please check http://blog.bleeding4metal.de/2005/06/20/a-weekend-trip-and-an-evil-sunburn-from-hell/ for access to all the links contained in the text (for example about GeoCaching).

That’s what you get for not spreading your sun-protection-lotion thoroughly enough - an evil sunburn from hell!

Massively swollen, burning and hurting like hell. But let’s start at the beginning…

We had a little trip planned for the weekend. So we left Hannover on Friday, June 17th, at about 13:20 o’clock by train. After a four hours trip (strolling train, but we don’t have to pay for these due to our semester tickets from university :) ) we reached Norddeich-Mole at the North Sea. Bought tickets for the ferry and entered the waiting vessel. Took another 45 minutes until it set off for Juist, one of the Frisian Islands we were heading for. I am not sure how long the ferry took, but anyway. Weather was dark grey and cool due to the strong winds at the North Sea.
Arriving on Juist we were welcomed by Sarah’s elder brother David who is working at the Youth Educational Institution on Juist during his “holidays” from stage. He had organized everything we needed on the island; a place to sleep in the house the institution provides for him and bicycles to get from the harbour to the institution (because Juist is a car-free island). This was just perfect and the only possibility for us to do such a trip, because we didn’t have to pay for anything except the ferry so far.
After a lengthy walk from the harbour to the bicycles (about 1km), we mounted the old and crappy bikes and drove the last 4 kilometers through the chilling evening. Dinner was grilled and a short visit to the seaside finished the night.

The next morning brought what we had wished for - a perfectly blue sky and strong sun. So off we went to find our first GeoCache, what happened to be successful soon! After that we searched a nice place to lie in the sun and just rest. The seaside at the east end of the island was just solitary and beautiful, I would not have imagined this before! So we lay down and of course your very own Odin knew about his light skin and the dangers of exposing it to the sun. Of course I applied sun-protection-lotion conscientiously - but alas! As it appeared afterwards not conscientiously enough at least in certain areas of my lower legs and feet (damn hair!). The result is a lot of pain and an abhorrently swollen ankle especially on the left leg. Anyway, I will survive - and the day was worth it (just figure out the connection of the situation and not actually present drinks…)! 8)

For dinner we went to a local restaurant and had some veeeeeeery tasty fish. Later on we watched the beautiful sunset from an outside cafe. Without any clouds the real pageant could not happen (all the sky being set aflame in yellow, orange and finally deep red), but still it was a wonderful sight you don’t get very often.

Sunday morning dawned early as we had to catch our flights. Yeah, flights! The educational institution is about aviation mainly (not only) and is placed directly at the airport. Actually it belongs to the airport or the other way round, I think. Anyway, Sarah’s brother had arranged to have a motor glider available to fly us over to the main-land again. As luck had it there was another motor glider to be brought over and back to the owning airport so David did not have to fly twice to carry both of us over (motor gliders are really small, you know… ;) ). The flight over to Leer took about one hour and was another highlight of the weekend. I had been in the air with a very similar craft before, but not over the sea and for a real trip like that.

Spending sunday with Sarah’s parents was nice as well. After picking over a kilogram of strawberries and having brunch another barbecue followed in the afternoon. Then we had to catch a train again. We managed to be at the station in time - but then I realized I had forgotten my purse! Ohhhhh damn. So order the family cab back to pick us up again. We had to stay for the night and take the train in the morning. *sigh* At least this meant that I could climb into a tub with fresh water and cool my burning legs a little bit.

Today has become at least as hot as yesterday I think, but after finally coming home to my blessed cool home I just stayed inside and tried to catch up with the work I had planned for today (aside: didn’t manage to, of course).

By now I am tired as hell again (fresh seaside air and all the hot as well just drain your power…) and therefore not willing to edit and upload some of the great pics I took during the weekend, sorry. Maybe they will be delivered via a gallery later on.
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Juni 20, 2005, 10:24:47 Nachmittag »
Wao!! if it wasn't for that serious sunburn of yours , i'd say you had a perfect weekend  :)
You must be more careful Odin, the sun is really *biting* and that particular part of the feet is really sensitive. I always put sun lotion there first   :)
Tips about your sunburn coming from a Greek (follow them and you won't regret it  :wink: ):
Spread a thick layer of yogurt over the sunburn area as many times as needed ( you'll be amazed with how quickly your burned skin will absorb the yogurt!)-when you no longer feel pain , stop putting yogurt on yr legs.
If there's no yogurt available, apply  moisturising body lotion repeatedly (alcohol-free of course!!!) .
Or you can just go to a farmacy and get some Bepanthol cream.That will do the trick.
I strongly suggest you put yogurt though.
And i advise you to wear the most comfy pair of shoes you have...Walking is really painful
with those feet  :lol:

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Juni 20, 2005, 10:28:47 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "dorian jane"

Or you can just go to a farmacy and get some Bepanthol cream.

"Bepanthol"? It's called like that in Greece, too? Amazing![tm]

dorian jane

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Juni 20, 2005, 10:33:58 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AoP"
Zitat von: "dorian jane"

Or you can just go to a farmacy and get some Bepanthol cream.

"Bepanthol"? It's called like that in Greece, too? Amazing![tm]

Yes it is. Bepanthol is a trademark name,it is common wherever it's distributed.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
« Antwort #4 am: Juni 21, 2005, 07:53:32 Vormittag »
Thanks, I know the tricks with yoghurt or quark - and I surely know walking in shoes is pain, haha!  :shock: But well, it will heal either way and waking up recently I could even see my ankle again!  :roll:

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Juni 21, 2005, 10:05:26 Vormittag »
Oh OUCH!  Try Aloe gel, Odin.  Solacaine works well, too.

I went to a concert once and got so sunburned that my legs got all swollen, and I fell ill.  I definitly sympathize!

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Juni 21, 2005, 12:34:31 Nachmittag »
My simple advice: with a sunburn that bad, go and see a doctor!
No kidding!

Greetz,

Tex

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: Juni 21, 2005, 12:48:02 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"
My simple advice: with a sunburn that bad, go and see a doctor!
No kidding!

That's pretty much what I told our Allfather, too.

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: Juni 24, 2005, 01:37:17 Vormittag »
Just read your post...EEEKK! that looks  like quite a nasty burn indeed.
I do hope it is feeling better.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
« Antwort #9 am: Juni 24, 2005, 07:46:03 Vormittag »
It's a lot better meanwhile, thanks. Without any doctor. ;)

Sunshine

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: Juni 27, 2005, 12:22:10 Nachmittag »
Oh, my dear, I didn´t realize that it was so bad...  :(

I´ll do my very best to protect your skin from such a sunburn in the future!

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
« Antwort #11 am: Juni 27, 2005, 12:27:50 Nachmittag »
Welcome aboard, beloved Frigga.  :D

Well, maybe you should reconsider the choice of your nick and avatar after this promise... ;)

Sunshine

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: Juni 27, 2005, 12:33:45 Nachmittag »
ähh, yes... but if I stay with these maybe I could get more influence to the sun and protect you more  

:wink:

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: Juni 27, 2005, 02:08:33 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Sunshine"
I´ll do my very best to protect your skin from such a sunburn in the future!

Welcome aboard and nice to see you finally.
:)

Greetz,

Tex

Sunshine

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: Juni 27, 2005, 02:35:23 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"

Welcome aboard and nice to see you finally.
:)

Greetz,

Tex

Thank you for your welcome and also nice to see you  :D