Autor Thema: Tourism on Bleeding4Metal - Pt.1: Finland  (Gelesen 24088 mal)

TexJoachim

• Gast
Tourism on Bleeding4Metal - Pt.1: Finland
« Antwort #30 am: Oktober 13, 2004, 08:19:53 Nachmittag »
Americans thinking about foreign countries?
I know how that looks like: Epcot (a theme park from World Disney World in Florida)

SCNR,

Tex

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #31 am: Oktober 13, 2004, 09:20:41 Nachmittag »
Sory Horus if I'm too slow... But maybe you understand that I have other life beyond this mighty board ;) Before I left today I did my daily check on this topic ;) and started to write... But I didn't have enough time before school and then my mom got to hospital and now I was just going to start continuing my writing at 10.30 p.m :) There are just so many guestions I have to answer and I want to do it well because Finland ain't nothing like german ;)

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #32 am: Oktober 13, 2004, 09:50:42 Nachmittag »
Okay... So here we go *krhm*  :oops:

(Why am I the first one to write,? This is awful, sorry if Im being too long)

Shadowman:  
True: Many lakes, forrests, and saunas. Cold? Naaah, I wouldn't say, try Alaska.
We have quite much countryside left here. You don't have to drive more than 20 km from Helsinki to whatever direction and puff, you're in the country. You're also right with the finnish vocals... Haluaisitteko käydä leutoa keskustelua asiasta?  :fuck:

The Metal RN. Okay, so ofcourse we were afraid of USSR. A bit of Russia-Finnland-Sweden history here to enlighten this... At the early days we were just a part of the big kingdom known Sweden, and later on at 1809 Sweden and Russia got into wars and Russia won... the price was us... Little Finland. Russia gave us our indepentence on 6.12.1917, but only because the WW1st didn't go well for it. Later on at the WW2nd Russia and Finland fought over finlands land and surprise surprise we had to give Russia a lot of our eastern landpieces (east-Karjala). And yeah, we were pretty scared of USSR, because there were and still are some people in Russia that think that the hole Finland belongs to them... (okay, some finns think that Karjala belongs to us, and it actually does....;) ) I remember this one poltician at the 90's who actually demanded war against Finland...

FALSE: Vodka comes from Russia :) but ofcourse is popular also in Finland because of our history... We have our own national pride, wannabevodka Koskenkorva  :cheers:

Metalmaiden: Noisy language? It is beauuuutiful ;)... atleast more beautiful than german ;)
And yeah Metalmaiden you're absolutely righ about the emotion/drinking thing. At my opinion it is because we weren't alowed to tell what we feel, when we belonged to sweden and russia... And the roots of not telling your feelings are soooo long, that there still are quite many people in Finland with that problem. But we're working on it. Nowadays there are more men with emotional problems than women, I'd say.

Evil : Well... There are many opinions about that :) There are a lot of people who actually think that finnish is a really beautiful language... Minä rakastan sinua isn't even the worst sentence by sound ;) Rääkkääkkään is pointed out to be the most ugliest word in finnish ;)
Cold and dark? Remember, we have also summer here ;)
I'd say we have the total opposites of weather here, and I think it as a richness. At midsummer, the sun doesn't even go down, it stays up with us aaaall night long... And well at winter it doesn't weven bother to show up ;) (Here in the south Finnland we have sun from 9 a.m to 3 p.m in midwinter, that's the shortest one)
So dark and cold depends ;) At summertime it is absolutely beautiful and rainy ;D

Thor: Is Linux from us?!!! ;D I only now that the idea of IRC was finnish.... correct me if Im wrong. And I'm most surprised that no-one has said nothing about Nokia yet ;D

Odin: I don't understand that grey weather thing as I have already mentioned, we have also that little thing called sun showing up every now and then ;)
And yes, it is really expensive here. But unlike USA, we dont have so much like THE RICH and THE POOR people... and we don't have homeless people (almost at all)... Everything is so expensive here because of the taxes...  But the main reason why people move here is that you can have like 800 euros per month withouth doing any work   :shock:

Tex: It's quite possible that terva icecream exists, because there is Tervaeverything...

Okay time for our commercials... If you visit finnland you must see our capital Helsinki, there are sooooo much beautiful buildings mostly from the time we were under Russia.. and then there ofcourse is our national pride Suomenlinna ("Finnish castle", Viapori, Sveaborg.... whatever). It was built to protect finnland for attacks from sea, so it's built on this island close to Helsinki. It is really a great place, it is many hundred years old and there are old canoons, an old submarine and ofcourse all those interesting dark caves ;)
http://valokuva.ip-gw.com/suomenlinna/  Some pictures from there...
Then you should also see Lappland (northern part of Finland if someone doesn't know) ofcourse, no matter what the season is, it is gorgeous.  There you can see even some shamans  :lol: and reindeers... and the real santaclaus ;)
Bad things about Finland... Some say that we are too "USA like", our shopping halls are bigger than needed and everything is supersized... But atleast we still have countryside left ;)

There would be so much to tell about finland, our ancient religion including pacan gods and viking gods but... Well, if you've managed to read this far without falling asleep I give you the credit and wont bore you more :) *thanks and leaves*

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #33 am: Oktober 13, 2004, 09:51:23 Nachmittag »
Oh my god ;D *laughs...* It is quite long... *lol*

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #34 am: Oktober 13, 2004, 10:11:48 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Virvatuli"

Thor: Is Linux from us?!!! ;D I only now that the idea of IRC was finnish.... correct me if Im wrong. And I'm most surprised that no-one has said nothing about Nokia yet ;D

Hm, yes and no ;)
The original Linux code, the very first version 0.1 was written by Linus Torvalds who was a swedish speaking student at the Technical University of Helsinki...
Therefore, in a way Linux is from Finland indeed, but the whole thing is of course by far bigger and unites (almost) the whole world in it.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #35 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 08:29:13 Vormittag »
Humm, I thought Linus was a Finish student in fact - Swedish speaking you say? Anyway... ;)

Zitat
Odin: I don't understand that grey weather thing as I have already mentioned, we have also that little thing called sun showing up every now and then :Wink:
And yes, it is really expensive here. But unlike USA, we dont have so much like THE RICH and THE POOR people... and we don't have homeless people (almost at all)... Everything is so expensive here because of the taxes... But the main reason why people move here is that you can have like 800 euros per month withouth doing any work :Shocked:

Yeah, I imagined there has to be some summer as well, but somehow I mainly think of grey weather when thinking of Suomi - don't know why, though.

The social system seems to be very good as it is in other Skandinavian countries as far as I know.  I guess I should be coming over soon not doing any work. ;)

Thanks for these first impressions, there probably is way more to tell us ignorant people, hehe.
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

evilshell

• Gast
« Antwort #36 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 09:17:13 Vormittag »
Evil : Well... There are many opinions about that :) There are a lot of people who actually think that finnish is a really beautiful language... Minä rakastan sinua isn't even the worst sentence by sound ;) Rääkkääkkään is pointed out to be the most ugliest word in finnish ;)
Cold and dark? Remember, we have also summer here ;)
I'd say we have the total opposites of weather here, and I think it as a richness. At midsummer, the sun doesn't even go down, it stays up with us aaaall night long... And well at winter it doesn't weven bother to show up ;) (Here in the south Finnland we have sun from 9 a.m to 3 p.m in midwinter, that's the shortest one)
So dark and cold depends ;) At summertime it is absolutely beautiful and rainy ;D

I think I just think of Scandinavia as cold and dark because I lived near Stockholm from October  until January 97 - 98 and all the visits I made were either in winter, early spring or early fall - so I never did get to experience the midnight sun!

I definitely need to get up there and see it for myself!

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #37 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 11:27:32 Vormittag »
*silently pulls back his lame theory*  :flush:

Gee, that IS a rather long essay abewt Suomi! Im astounded!
Well shadowman, now you can die happy, eh?
Youre sure Germany will be up soon? Hm, gotta prepare myself. Hope my theory doesn't apply to myself. Because it is certainly a typical German thing not to be able to tell any typical German things.  :|

"Rääkkääkkään"???
Gosh, that is almost as ugly as "Bürobedarfsgeschäft"...

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #38 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 03:02:22 Nachmittag »
I want to add my thanks as well Virvatuli for enlightening us on  your native country. Suomi sounds like a wonderful place!

Zitat von: "Odin"

Yeah, I imagined there has to be some summer as well, but somehow I mainly think of grey weather when thinking of Suomi - don't know why, though.  

Funny, but I think of two things in conflict with each other when I think of Finland --  Midnight sun and -20 below (that US F not  the rest of the worlds' C) temperatures.

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #39 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 03:18:08 Nachmittag »
Well hope you got your answers you wished for  :?
And I think there are a lot to tell about german too :) I've visited german many times because I have relatives there, and atleast the wayt hey act there is different from others... so conservative, in my opinion.  Well... other lands which would be great to hear about are Belgium, Russia, Israel...

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #40 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 03:25:18 Nachmittag »
Wow that was really cool, thanks for the info and the "commercial section" is a really good idea!!!  I would much rather get this from a person than reading it in a book. I am also sort of disappointed in how much we learn about other parts of the world in school. I realized how bad my geography was when the opening ceremonies of the Olympics were on and I would find myself saying, where the heck is that country? Oh well, I guess we will just have to travel some more!!!!  :)  So.......who's next?

Souleraser

• Gast
« Antwort #41 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 03:25:32 Nachmittag »
A big thanks from me too. Good to hear some stuff about this country besides of the usual travel guide and documentary stuff ;)

But one remark I wanted to add:

And I'm most surprised that no-one has said nothing about Nokia yet ;D

As NOKIA is one of the biggest supporters and promoters of software patents in Europe, thinking of them in a positive way is quite impossible to me... I haven't used NOKIA mobile phones in the past (okay, one, 5 or 6 years ago) and for sure never will if they don't change their opinion.

TexJoachim

• Gast
« Antwort #42 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 03:31:37 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Thor"
As NOKIA is one of the biggest supporters and promoters of software patents in Europe, thinking of them in a positive way is quite impossible to me... I haven't used NOKIA mobile phones in the past (okay, one, 5 or 6 years ago) and for sure never will if they don't change their opinion.

Oh, good to know that. It is time for a new cellular here, and this will help me decide.

Greetz,

Tex

Metalmaiden

• Gast
« Antwort #43 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 08:16:19 Nachmittag »
I'm surprised that no-one has said nothing about Nokia yet ;D

:oops:  I thought Nokia was Swedish ..........and a very socially conscious company. Thanks to everyone for setting me straight.

shadowman

• Gast
« Antwort #44 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 09:52:00 Nachmittag »
WOHOW !!

Seems like I have a lot to read !
You must excuse me guys but I am sick and with high fever. Gonna have to read everything you responded tomorrow...

Hope I will be feeling better by then to check in again.

Thanks for the info and the effort Virvatuli !!

See you all tomorrow or the day after !