Autor Thema: Classic stage culture  (Gelesen 11618 mal)

The Metal RN

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« am: Juli 04, 2005, 11:30:13 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Odin"
Well, I am not ashamed of it, but I thought nobody would believe it anyway...

But as I think of The Metal RN's experience with ballerina outfits, I think I can give it a try.  :twisted:

We were at the opera, last show of a fairytale ballet. Amusing and enjoyable, really, had a lot of fun sitting in the second row with good view into the orchestra pit as well as onto the stage. The long haired kettledrum player was cool to watch for example (tuning his kettledrums as well as pounding them).  :P

When we went to Sweden For the first time in 2003, I went to my first ballet as well. It was pretty cool to finally see one, though it was not teh best production, now I have to go see an opera, but for that I may have to go to Italy or Germany, or maybe just in NY at the Met!!

Sunshine

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 05, 2005, 01:06:39 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "The Metal RN"
Well, I am not ashamed of it, but I thought nobody would believe it anyway...

But as I think of The Metal RN's experience with ballerina outfits, I think I can give it a try.  :twisted:

We were at the opera, last show of a fairytale ballet. Amusing and enjoyable, really, had a lot of fun sitting in the second row with good view into the orchestra pit as well as onto the stage. The long haired kettledrum player was cool to watch for example (tuning his kettledrums as well as pounding them).  :P

When we went to Sweden For the first time in 2003, I went to my first ballet as well. It was pretty cool to finally see one, though it was not teh best production, now I have to go see an opera, but for that I may have to go to Italy or Germany, or maybe just in NY at the Met!!

I worked as a trainee at the opera in Hannover for a summer, it was very interesting. I got a lots of cards for free, so I´ve seen many things. So I can recommend the hannover operas  :wink:

TexJoachim

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #2 am: Juli 05, 2005, 03:04:04 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "Sunshine"

I worked as a trainee at the opera in Hannover for a summer, it was very interesting. I got a lots of cards for free, so I´ve seen many things. So I can recommend the hannover operas  :wink:

"It's not over till the fat lady sings."
;)

This is what crosses my mind whenever I think of operas. (Apart from the lovely browser, that is.)

But I can't stand theatre either, with the notable exception of Shakespeare. And his plays only in the New Globe in London or in any other theatre that will not modernise the plays. (And yes, this means costumes and stage outfit/setup like the ones used by the master himself! I don't want any bloody modern clothes or political readings of his works!)

I'd like to see a good production of Marlow's Faustus, though.

Greetz,

Tex

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #3 am: Juli 05, 2005, 07:20:37 Nachmittag »
Wow, suddenly I feel incredibly uncultivated.  :shock:

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #4 am: Juli 06, 2005, 09:03:06 Vormittag »
Never mind, AoP, I did (and sometimes still do) so as well... but hey, who cares!? In the end we're still metalheads, aren't we? We're supposed to be uncultivated.  :lol:  :roll:
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

Sunshine

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #5 am: Juli 06, 2005, 12:04:29 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"

"It's not over till the fat lady sings."
;)

This is what crosses my mind whenever I think of operas. (Apart from the lovely browser, that is.)

But I can't stand theatre either, with the notable exception of Shakespeare. And his plays only in the New Globe in London or in any other theatre that will not modernise the plays. (And yes, this means costumes and stage outfit/setup like the ones used by the master himself! I don't want any bloody modern clothes or political readings of his works!)

Ok, I understand that some people do not need the interpretation at theaher, but its no kind of art to play a play, just in one way. I must not be a political reading, it just can be the reading of an other view - thats waht ist interresting for me, how others interpret the stuff.

:wink:

The ladys could be really fat, and make a terrible sound, but sometimes you could really enjoy this kind of music - maybe this is the wrong page for such sound  :wink:

Sunshine

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #6 am: Juli 06, 2005, 12:07:03 Nachmittag »
Never mind, AoP, I did (and sometimes still do) so as well... but hey, who cares!? In the end we're still metalheads, aren't we? We're supposed to be uncultivated.  :lol:  :roll:

So, my dear - you want to be uncultivated...   :hm:  :hm:

The Metal RN

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #7 am: Juli 06, 2005, 12:15:09 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AoP"

Theres always Avantasia's Metal Opera 1 & 2 :wink:

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #8 am: Juli 06, 2005, 12:23:41 Nachmittag »

Of course, as I told you so many times already...  :insane:  :P

Sunshine

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #9 am: Juli 06, 2005, 01:58:09 Nachmittag »

Of course, as I told you so many times already...  :insane:  :P

you never told me, and you are not uncultivated...   :insane:  :insane:

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #10 am: Juli 06, 2005, 03:38:11 Nachmittag »

Yeah, and DeFeis' "House(s) of Atreus" ;)
But I seriously doubt they matter in this case...

TexJoachim

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #11 am: Juli 06, 2005, 04:13:53 Nachmittag »

Ok, I understand that some people do not need the interpretation at theaher, but its no kind of art to play a play, just in one way. I must not be a political reading, it just can be the reading of an other view - thats waht ist interresting for me, how others interpret the stuff.

I have no problem with different readings, but I prefer not to see them.

And yes, it is art to play the plays as Shakespeare intended them to be played. They were made for the masses. (I use to say that if Shakespeare were born today, he would  make "Jerry Bruckheimer" movies.)
The actors were interrupted by the audience and forced to react spontaneously to the verbal intrusions. Can you believe that to happen in a "respectable theatre"? I can't.
I've witnessed an actor complaining to his audience because it could not keep quiet. How lame is that? A good actor would have stayed in his role and lectured the audience accordingly.
:)

In Shakespeare's time, plays were not considered what they are considered now: high art. During the middle ages, plays had been effectively suppressed, apart from the re-enactment of the Christmas story in church. Only in the early modern age, plays were again being written. The most prestigious art of the English court (and therefore Shakespeare's, too) was sonnets! By the time Shakespeare came around, the sonnets had been around for long and he ridiculed them in his sonnet circle.
(If you read it closely, you'll notice that most of them are directed towards a boy and the rest to a dark lady. Now, the lyrical I has stong feelings for both of them and in one sonnet is highly jealous because something happened between the boy and the lady. But I digress.)

Also, if a play was no longer making any money, it was cast aside and S. sat down and wrote another one. Just like todays movies.

Needless to say that S.'s plays do have a quality of their own, but that is mainly because they feature topics that are still appealing to us today: love, revenge, hate.

There is no need to reinterpret Macbeth with Nazi insignia, to give a crude but nonetheless valid example. There is just a need of decent actors. (Many hobby-actors on renaissance fairs would give pros a run for their money as on these fairs a great deal of stage-audience interaction is still present.)

Greetz,

Tex

TexJoachim

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #12 am: Juli 06, 2005, 04:15:43 Nachmittag »

I..think...it...would...be...best...to...leave...this...thread...now!
;)

Greetz,

Tex

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #13 am: Juli 06, 2005, 10:09:01 Nachmittag »

you never told me, and you are not uncultivated...   :insane:  :insane:

Oh no, did I forget those irony tags once again? Sorry...  :silly:

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #14 am: Juli 06, 2005, 10:10:33 Nachmittag »

Yeah, and DeFeis' "House(s) of Atreus" ;)
But I seriously doubt they matter in this case...

Oh, I think they do. The stage production with the Staatstheater from... erm... forgot the name of that city, was from southern Germany... Meinzingen or s.th. like that... eh, what I wanted to say, the production was great!