Autor Thema: Classic stage culture  (Gelesen 11600 mal)

Virvatuli

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #15 am: Juli 08, 2005, 01:16:36 Vormittag »
Ah, opera... Okay. Not. Opera is just so not my cup of tea. Seriouslly.

But theatre. Yes... And musicals, though I don't have great experience in them at live yet...

But I did see the "We will rock you" by Queen and Ben Elton at the Dominion, and oh boy oh boy.. I've never been a great fan of Queen. I mean, I like them and rispect them , but there are better bands imo. But anyways, that musical totally rocked. It was funny, great songs, the leading singers could have been better, but the rest made it up and ah... It was definetly worth paying for.

(Yep, goes with the topic... Couldn't just help myself, you all talking about this kinda stuff :) )

Sunshine

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #16 am: Juli 13, 2005, 12:50:42 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "TexJoachim"

And yes, it is art to play the plays as Shakespeare intended them to be played. They were made for the masses. (I use to say that if Shakespeare were born today, he would  make "Jerry Bruckheimer" movies.)
The actors were interrupted by the audience and forced to react spontaneously to the verbal intrusions. Can you believe that to happen in a "respectable theatre"? I can't.
I've witnessed an actor complaining to his audience because it could not keep quiet. How lame is that? A good actor would have stayed in his role and lectured the audience accordingly.

In Shakespeare's time, plays were not considered what they are considered now: high art. During the middle ages, plays had been effectively suppressed, apart from the re-enactment of the Christmas story in church. Only in the early modern age, plays were again being written. The most prestigious art of the English court (and therefore Shakespeare's, too) was sonnets! By the time Shakespeare came around, the sonnets had been around for long and he ridiculed them in his sonnet circle.
(If you read it closely, you'll notice that most of them are directed towards a boy and the rest to a dark lady. Now, the lyrical I has stong feelings for both of them and in one sonnet is highly jealous because something happened between the boy and the lady. But I digress.)

Also, if a play was no longer making any money, it was cast aside and S. sat down and wrote another one. Just like todays movies.

Needless to say that S.'s plays do have a quality of their own, but that is mainly because they feature topics that are still appealing to us today: love, revenge, hate.

There is no need to reinterpret Macbeth with Nazi insignia, to give a crude but nonetheless valid example. There is just a need of decent actors. (Many hobby-actors on renaissance fairs would give pros a run for their money as on these fairs a great deal of stage-audience interaction is still present.)

Greetz,

Tex

Ok, Shakespeare of course is great and he made great art - for his century.

I think it´s a question of understanding the meaning of art - wich is naturally individual.

For me art is a process of constructing reality, making people wake up from living blind (in the matrix of media-constructed reality) . Producing consciousness is really hard today. In Shakespeares time he gets reactions of people with his provacative intended plays. So his kind of stuff interested people and gets them thinking. Of course this sort of stuff is always current, but it doesn´t reach most people in the historical way of presentation.

Today there must be much more provocation to get people thinking. To put a play on stage like it has been in the 18th century is a replay, a try to construct a historic view but it will not wake up many people. Watching literature as a mirror of the time, in which the author lived is surely interesting but I think it´s even not possible to know what Shakespeare intended.

The actors reacting with the visitors is a special thing. I think this could be very intersting, and I know some kind of theaters (improvisation) in wich this is often used, but there are even special visitors. It would be very complicated to get these media-contaminated viewers to a reaction on what they see - so even more provacation is needed.

Nearly every author and director would be proud if his play would produce a reaction in the viewers crowd. Some really negative provocations are the result. I don´t need any naked people on stage, but some directors seem to be under coercion to integrate some. Meanwhile it is boring an destroys the making of consciousness.

:wink:

Arthyron

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #17 am: Juli 14, 2005, 08:26:42 Nachmittag »
I haven't seen many plays or anything, but I'd love to at some point.  My band does a little bit of theatrics.  Whereas most fantasy themed power metal bands just sing about the songs, my band wears costumes and weapons on stage and have little theatric moments worked into our performance.  It's a lot of fun, I get to carry around this claymore and everything. :D

dorian jane

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #18 am: Juli 14, 2005, 09:08:39 Nachmittag »
Mmmm..Shakespeare..From all the plays of his i've read, i love Midsummer dream the best.Oberon and Titania are the best characters created IMHO and the whole play is so out of the ordinary..I love it.

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #19 am: Juli 14, 2005, 10:24:26 Nachmittag »
You're talking about "A midsummer night's dream", aren't you d.j.? I saw that when I was quite a lot younger back in grammar school already... I suppose I was too young for Shakespeare back then because a lot of people I talked to actually liked that play.

dorian jane

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #20 am: Juli 14, 2005, 11:32:21 Nachmittag »
Zitat von: "AoP"
You're talking about "A midsummer night's dream", aren't you d.j.? I saw that when I was quite a lot younger back in grammar school already... I suppose I was too young for Shakespeare back then because a lot of people I talked to actually liked that play.

Haha..yeah, i forgot to write "A" &  "night's"   :)
By the way, the exact play is on these days in Athens as a Rock musical. Kicking ass!!!
Maybe you should pay us a visit and get the chance to see it again as an adult this time :wink:

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #21 am: Juli 14, 2005, 11:40:38 Nachmittag »
Sounds like an excellent idea, but I'm so completely out of money... I even have to borrow the money for my newspapers ;)

dorian jane

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #22 am: Juli 14, 2005, 11:57:33 Nachmittag »
Sounds like an excellent idea, but I'm so completely out of money... I even have to borrow the money for my newspapers ;)

This money thing is ggrggmmmmphhh!!!!!
I really wish things change for you..

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #23 am: Juli 15, 2005, 12:33:23 Vormittag »
Thanks! I'm hoping for August in which I'll be working all month long...

dorian jane

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #24 am: Juli 15, 2005, 04:42:17 Nachmittag »
Thanks! I'm hoping for August in which I'll be working all month long...

May i ask the nature of the job?

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #25 am: Juli 15, 2005, 11:58:50 Nachmittag »
Typical student-during-holidays-job, though it's the first time for quite a while that I'm not working in an office. I'll be rejoining my former employer and among other things will be drilling holes into gears, do the quality control and stuff like that... piece-work wage of course. Not entertaining but paid very well.

dorian jane

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #26 am: Juli 16, 2005, 12:16:47 Vormittag »
Typical student-during-holidays-job, though it's the first time for quite a while that I'm not working in an office. I'll be rejoining my former employer and among other things will be drilling holes into gears, do the quality control and stuff like that... piece-work wage of course. Not entertaining but paid very well.

Hmmm.. you have a way of explaining but being elusive at the same time. :lol:
Drilling holes into gears :?:  do the quality control... i did the quality control in my last job, but i'm not sure if my job has to do anything with yours...so are you gonna let me guess or what??  :wink:

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #27 am: Juli 16, 2005, 01:01:31 Vormittag »
I'd sure like to go more into detail, but I just can't - because I don't exactly know what I'll be doing. That drill-holes-into-gears-and-check-whether-the-gears-will-work is what I was told so far, but work time will be filled with a number of other jobs of course...
I won't know before August 1st, and most likely won't be introduced to all my duties on the first day...

dorian jane

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #28 am: Juli 16, 2005, 01:15:53 Vormittag »
I'd sure like to go more into detail, but I just can't - because I don't exactly know what I'll be doing. That drill-holes-into-gears-and-check-whether-the-gears-will-work is what I was told so far, but work time will be filled with a number of other jobs of course...
I won't know before August 1st, and most likely won't be introduced to all my duties on the first day...

Ok AoP, you're gonna let me guess  :lol: has your job got anything to do with clothing?

Souleraser

• Gast
Classic stage culture
« Antwort #29 am: Juli 16, 2005, 09:07:59 Vormittag »
Uh, no, I thought it was pretty clear when I spoke of gears? Did you recently witness t-shirts or skirts with gears as accessoires? ;)

My employer is Germany's second biggest (Europe's #4) manufacturer of trucks and busses. Their motor production facility is located nearby, which does not only produce motors for trucks and busses but also for ships, energy production and more. I suppose a lot of gears are required for all those motors...