Autor Thema: When band members get sick...  (Gelesen 7803 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
When band members get sick...
« am: Oktober 14, 2004, 02:19:10 Vormittag »
I've been sick for over a week now, and during one of my fever-induced musings I thought "You know, I would not be very successful as a metal vocallist if I get this sick at random times"  So that got me to wondering...what do bands do when their members get sick while on tour?

I know one time the members of HammerFall got sick and Stefan Elmgren played anyway, despite throwing up on stage.  I guess the instrumentalists just keep on trucking, but if you're a vocallist do you go on anyway?  I would imagine if you lose your voice (like I did, I'm just now getting it back) you couldn't go on.  So what happens in those instances?

Metal

• Gast
« Antwort #1 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 06:41:20 Vormittag »
Well If the vocalist loses his / her voice.. they either cancel the gig, get someone else to sing or plays all their instrumental songs :)
Most probably cancel  :cry:

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 07:59:06 Vormittag »
I know that some vocalists sing although they're cold and they're throat is sore. The quality of their voice isn't the same of course and it's straining but you know... the show must go on.

But this way they fuck their vocal chords up pretty much.
I wouldn't be surprised if those people had severe problems with their voice after such a tour.

Oh but despite all that I think most professional vocalists know how to prevent these troubles by treating their health and voice with care while on tour. That means, no big parties before (or right after) a show, not too much smoke and alcohol and of course a lot of sleep. :)

Stefan W

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 10:01:27 Vormittag »
Damn right, that´s the best way to prevent it.
If the misfortune comes anyway, you can chance and sing anyway and risk to damage the voice even more.
Or you could save yourself and the tour by cancelling some shows.
Maybe do like a karaoke gig, letting the audience come up to sing, I don´t know.

We got the help from the singers in Axenstar and Doomsword to take alot of the vocallines
at the last show we did on the January tour.
Kristoffer got really sick towards the end, caughing blood actually.

<Horus-Nikopol>

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 11:35:59 Vormittag »
Gee, that's tough luck.
Was he already sick on that gig in Heidelberg (the one you can download, cf. old forum)?
Looked pretty healthy to me there!
I think the Axenstar/ Doomsword vocalists came in very handy there. Really gave the Sceptre of Deception refrain a final kick in the butt  :twisted:

Hail Falconer

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: Oktober 14, 2004, 08:40:58 Nachmittag »
So what do you do when the other members get sick?  Stefan, do they let you sit down in a chair and play sitting, if necissary?

Oh, and what about the drummer?  If a drummer gets so sick they can barely move, do you go with a pre-recorded drum track (DragonForce did this when Dave broke his arm) or does someone fill in?  Or do you just play without drums?

As for Kristoffer coughing up blood, I hope he went to the doctor for that!  It sounds horrid.  :(

grym

• Gast
« Antwort #6 am: Oktober 16, 2004, 06:09:31 Nachmittag »
When Tom Araya couldn't sing, Slayer had the vocalist from Hatebreed fill in. He sang Angel Of Death, while the remnants of Slayer ignored him and continued playing Reign In Blood  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Some of those details may be wrong though, it's just hearsay.