Autor Thema: monthly check in guys and gals!!!!  (Gelesen 194894 mal)

Forsaken

• Gast
Re: monthly check in guys and gals!!!!
« Antwort #420 am: Mai 06, 2007, 06:06:05 Nachmittag »
YO YO YO

merv is in the HOUSE!!!!

:56:

look what i did in paint.. lol

gargantouas

• Gast
« Antwort #421 am: Mai 14, 2007, 08:21:29 Nachmittag »
Oh i think I have enough time on my hands now to actually be a part of this board....this is the yearly check in for me lol...
There were many things I had to sort out with my life in order to be able to actually be active again on the boards and on Bleeding...things havent been sorted out but what the f##k...lol.... :flush_2:
Either way hopefully I will see many of the familiar faces around here again....

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #422 am: Mai 16, 2007, 01:54:37 Vormittag »
I thought graduate-level professors, and PhD students were supposed to be smart.  After all, they wouldn't be PhDs if they didn't have intelligence.  So why, oh why, do my "superiors" at SIU-C have trouble identifying real words?  Last semester I was asked THREE TIMES "Is this really a word?" twice by a professor, and once by my PhD-student supervisor.  The words in question are "Activeness," "hesitance," and "unused" (as in "the client is unused to this behavior") 

The first two were used in a paper, which the prof circle and wrote "Is this a word?"  The "unused" was asked out-loud "is this really a word?"  In fact, with that one she asked the other supervisor, who is also a doctoral student, if it was a word.  They both said "no."  They also asked the rest of the supervision class (all 6 of them) if it was a word.  My peers said "Err...I don't...think so..."  But you know what?  THEY ARE ALL REAL WORDS.  LOOK THEM UP.  In fact, I DID.  To prove they were words!  And they are!  All three are in the dictionary!

I never ONCE had this problem in undergrad.  NOT ONCE!  But I get to graduate school, and people who have more education who are presumably smarter CAN'T IDENTIFY REAL WORDS.  Ugh.  Next time someone asks me if something is "a real word."  I'm going to tell them to look it up and not insult my intelligence again.

However, I got straight A's this semester for graduate school.  IN YOUR FACE, PEOPLE WHO CAN'T IDENTIFY REAL WORDS.

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #423 am: Mai 16, 2007, 09:19:19 Vormittag »
 ;D

What a funny story.. though I understand how frustrating that must be for you, after all, those people are your professors... or some of them at least..

But I'm still a big fan of stupidity.. or better, ignorance :) Can't help wondering how on earth some people survive with such ignorance... and so well too! Just the other day I watched this show called Beauty&The Geek, I think.. and there was this bunch of beautiful girls, who... well, weren't the brightest crayons in the box. Most of them were gollege graduates, and still couldn't answer simple questions like "where does beef come from" or "what's the sun?" and when asked.. their IQ's varied from 3.5 to 5000, if I remember correct... cute :P I just mean... how do people like that get through college? Okay, that was just a stupid tv-show.. but is too close to your story imo!

Virvatuli

• Gast
« Antwort #424 am: Mai 18, 2007, 01:59:31 Nachmittag »
!!!! One thing less to stress about! My final grades arrived today, and now I know that I can proudly graduate.. :) I'm just so happy that the hard work finally paid off with these good grades :) yay  :bangersmiley:

Prab

• Gast
« Antwort #425 am: Mai 18, 2007, 03:04:02 Nachmittag »
!!!! One thing less to stress about! My final grades arrived today, and now I know that I can proudly graduate.. :) I'm just so happy that the hard work finally paid off with these good grades :) yay  :bangersmiley:

AWESOME :)
Just dropped you an PM, check it out, will you? ;)

gargantouas

• Gast
« Antwort #426 am: Mai 18, 2007, 05:30:41 Nachmittag »

Well congrats are in line here.... ;)

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
« Antwort #427 am: Mai 19, 2007, 04:38:24 Nachmittag »
Congrats, Virva!!  :00000436:

And to Angel: That has nothing to do with being smart; from a certain level and in certain positions people have to prove that they are superior or oh-so-wise at all. Questioning everything is important for learning, but some people also employ it in order to elevate themselves over others. :)

And by the way: "unused" was a word I used somewhere as well recently - I don't remember clearly what and where it was, but somebody or something (auto correction?) also said this was no real word, I think. Strange. My dictionary also says it's okay.
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

grym

• Gast
« Antwort #428 am: August 26, 2007, 09:11:43 Vormittag »
Wow. It's been nearly 10 months since i last dropped a line. It's good to see that most of you still posting are doing well :00000436: and some new faces, too :schock:

Just a brief outline of what i've been up to. Around Christmas i moved out for a couple of months, then crawled back home when it became apparent that my housemate was a psychopath. I recently spent a significant chunk of life cementing in my reputation as the most feared level 19 warrior of my battlegroup, in world of warcraft :whatever:. But i've made alot of positive changes and things are looking good. I've moved onto Professional Writing and Editing at TAFE and that's going well, and i have a good idea of what i'd like to do for my career.

Take care out there in the big wide world people, i guess you'll probably hear from me some time next year.
« Letzte Änderung: August 26, 2007, 09:17:23 Vormittag von grym »

Cecilia

• Gast
« Antwort #429 am: September 10, 2007, 05:21:03 Nachmittag »
Geez its been a while!
Hello and congrats to everyone on everything!

I've been good. Worked the entire summer with kids, and am back in school. I can finally legally drive, and I'm spending my free time getting covered in tattoos.

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
« Antwort #430 am: September 11, 2007, 10:40:16 Nachmittag »
If tats would cost time only... ;)

Doing fine as well. Will be off to Poland for one and a half week from friday on. Wrote another two (maybe three, because the last one was XXL) articles for the computer magazine during the last weeks and days (did over 42.000 characters over the weekend...).

Oh, and did a re-design on the boards - you might have noticed. ;)

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #431 am: September 26, 2007, 04:17:12 Vormittag »
I was looking for the yearly check-in thread, but I must have missed it ??? ;)

The beautiful metalmaiden and I are doing well. It is great having the grandson around the house. As I have never had a child of my own, this has been the most rewarding experience that I have ever had. He is just so much fun, so smart, and it is really cool experiencing the world through his perspective. I love to watch him learn, explore and develop. He is also totally time consuming!!!

I changed jobs this past year as well. I still work in the psychiatric field but now I work with children. I hope to work in a private practice within a year as a prescriber (I have been offered to work in an established practice so I do not have to start one on my own, whew!!) That is exciting and I enjoy my new position as well. I will stay there for a while while I get my feet wet in the private sector.

We are also getting ready for a date with an "angel", an angel of music that is.  :tup: We will be lucky enough to meet someone else form these boards on our travels. We will be meeting her as we are all attending ProgPower down in Atlanta next week. I am really looking forward to meeting face 2 face and the show should be pretty good. We have seen Sonata Arctica a bunch of times now, but they will be great and I am so looking forward to seeing Gus G and Firewind. We bumped into him at Ozzest last year when he was filing in for Arch Enemy but I would like to see him in a much more melodic setting. (Arch Enemy was fantastic BTW). We are a little pissed at the promoters for ProgPower because this year they decided that there will be no photography this year, due to "paranoia" of bootleggers. At first they were going to allow digital SLR cameras, which we have, but now there are none, except for the "hand picked few". Ugghhhhhhh!!! well I won't go on a rant but I am miffed!

Anyway, thanks for reading this and hope to talk to ya all more than yearly!!  ;D

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
« Antwort #432 am: September 27, 2007, 05:16:30 Vormittag »
Be sure to give my cell phone a call, dude!  I won't have it on me at all times, but if you give me a call before the Oliva show, Showcase, or the weekend shows start, we can try and work something out.  That, and I know what you and MM look like, and you know what I look like, so we can all keep an eye out for each other.

Also, I will be participating in Corset Night on Friday.  Is The Maiden herself going to participate, too?  MM would look great in a corset! :D

As for me:  I turned 25 on the 16th, I'm still working at getting my Master's degree, and I've been to a number of concerts including Dream Theater, Doro, Steve Vai, Firewind (my boyfriend's band opened for them!) and Edguy.
« Letzte Änderung: September 27, 2007, 05:18:11 Vormittag von AngelOfMusic »

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
« Antwort #433 am: September 28, 2007, 07:58:51 Nachmittag »
Happy belated birthday, Angel! :)

Me is busy. 'nuff said. ;)

The Metal RN

• Gast
« Antwort #434 am: September 29, 2007, 05:26:50 Nachmittag »
Be sure to give my cell phone a call, dude!  I won't have it on me at all times, but if you give me a call before the Oliva show, Showcase, or the weekend shows start, we can try and work something out.  That, and I know what you and MM look like, and you know what I look like, so we can all keep an eye out for each other.

Also, I will be participating in Corset Night on Friday.  Is The Maiden herself going to participate, too?  MM would look great in a corset! :D

Will do, I need my birthday hug!! We are coming down on Wednesday. I will pm you with phone info., Though I wouldn't mind hearing from others on the board some time as well!! I am not sure if she will be participating, we have been looking for decent corsets and have yet to find any she likes,  :frown: :frown: We are looking forward to meeting you guys face to face.