Autor Thema: Gone for a week or so...  (Gelesen 9419 mal)

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« am: Juli 20, 2005, 12:35:46 Vormittag »
It's true!  I'm going away!  But only for about a week.  You see, I'm having Jaw surgery on Wednesday the 20th of this month (that's tomorrow...I don't wanna!) and I certainly won't be on while in the hospital, and I have no idea how I'm going to feel once I get to go home.

So here's the story:

I'm having what's called a maxillary osteotomy.  What it does is reposition the upper jaw into a more normal, anotomical and functional relationship with my lower jaw and other facial structures.  Apparently my profile will look nicer, too.

They showed me what they were going to do, which basically ammounted to stuff being removed and moved around.  I'm starting to get nervous, though.

Also, here's a list of possible side effects:

Swelling
allergic reactions to medication (I hope not!)
Bruising
Diminished sense of smell (I don't have much of one as it is...)
Change in cosmetic appearence (They assure me I'll look fine)
inflammation of veins used for IV fluids and medications
Changes in speech patterns
numbness, tingling, burning, or altered sensation to upper lip, teeth, bums, nose and cheek areas (usually temporary)
Injury to teeth which might necessitate root canals or loss of teeth (They claim this hasn't happened to any of their patients)
Loss of tissue or bone (Well, they're removing some bone as it is...)
Bleeding
Nasal septal deviation (Surgeon claims he's only ever had ONE patient with this problem)
Infection or sinus problems (that's why they're giving me antibiotics)
Bone plates and screws used to stabilize upper jaw (I'm told it won't set off airport security! heh)
relapse - muscles and other factors try to pull jaw to pre-surgery position (Surgeon claims this hardly ever happens with upper-jaw surgery patients)
Bronchitis, pneumonia, horaseness or voice changes, cardiac irregularities, heart attack or even death (from the Anesthesia)

So that's the long and short of what COULD happen.  But I think I'll be fine.  Just hurting for a week or two.  And swollen.  VERY swollen.  Like a puffer fish.

In addition to all that, I'll be filled full of tubes.  In my veins, up my nose and up...um...other parts of my body.  Hopefully I'll be too drugged up to notice, or care.  They say I'll be in the hospital approximately one to two days.  I fully expect my body to be ready to go home on Thursday, but I don't know that my body will agree with my brain.  It had better.  I don't want to be in the hospital AT ALL.  In fact, I'd be happier if this was an in and out kind of procedure, but it's not.  

Oh well, at least I won't be wired shut.  I'll just have to wear a splint on my upper teeth for 4-6 weeks.  Bah!  Better than being wired, at least!

I'll see you all again once I'm able to sit at the computer again. :)

Metalmaiden

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 20, 2005, 02:04:43 Vormittag »
Good Luck Angel. I'm sure everything will go well. I'll keep good thoughts for you and I want to wish you a speedy recovery and a quick return to the boards.

Cecilia

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #2 am: Juli 20, 2005, 02:11:23 Vormittag »
Hope all goes well AoM. Check in with us when you can.

The Metal RN

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #3 am: Juli 20, 2005, 02:54:18 Vormittag »
Rest, relax and get well soon!!! Everything will work out fine. Isn't one of those side effects BLEEDING..........  :wink: see ya back here soon on the BLEEDING boards!

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #4 am: Juli 20, 2005, 02:58:00 Vormittag »
hahaha, yeah, if I need a blood transfusion, I'll just claim I bled for metal. ;)

I plan on photologging my recovery, so after say...two weeks if I look at myself and think I look horrid, I can look at pics from a few days after and ease my mind.  :D

Offline Odin

• Allfather
  • Glorious Metalhead
    • http://www.4metal.net
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #5 am: Juli 20, 2005, 08:32:02 Vormittag »
Angel, good idea with the photoblogging. :D

And else, just relax, it will be fine. They have to tell all those nasty stuff that COULD happen like once in a million or so. I strongly believe in a quick recovery - and being allowed home after one or two days already is great, I think.

Report back as soon as possible! :)
God of Wisdom, God of War
Inspiration, Madness, Anger
The Wanderer among mortals
Bringer of eternal victory

Souleraser

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #6 am: Juli 20, 2005, 09:07:21 Vormittag »
Good luck for that surgery, Angel. Just believe that everything will be fine.

dorian jane

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #7 am: Juli 20, 2005, 09:42:55 Vormittag »
I'm sure everything's gonna be all right.Just take it easy. :)
After all, you are a metalhead! Nothing can bring you down  :wink:
Best wishes

Virvatuli

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #8 am: Juli 20, 2005, 09:55:57 Vormittag »
Oh good luck Angel! I hope this surgery goes well :) *keeps the thumbs up*

Sunshine

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #9 am: Juli 20, 2005, 11:31:59 Vormittag »
Wish you the best Angel!  :)

TexJoachim

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #10 am: Juli 20, 2005, 01:16:19 Nachmittag »
Good luck and best wishes!

Greetz,

Tex

The Metal RN

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #11 am: Juli 23, 2005, 08:49:53 Nachmittag »
Some cheerup/ get well pics for Angel!!!
Hope you feel better soon!
Remember what's just around the corner............

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #12 am: Juli 24, 2005, 01:02:59 Vormittag »
The idea of seeing Hammerfall is definitely cheering.  I just hope I don't feel this rotten in another three weeks when it's time for the conecert

I can now get online for very short stints before I have to go lay down again.  Also, I look exactly like a fish.  Fillet me up and fry me right.  I still feel like crap, but I can tell I'm getting better (else I wouldn't be on now!)

No one warned me how godaweful I'd feel once they released me from the hopsital, though.  The hospital stay was great.  The morphine gave me the most lovely sense of well-being and floating-ness.  I slept ALOT.  I still sleep alot, but not as much.  No one warned me about the gross stuff - the least of which is drooling.  The grosser parts of my recovery seem to be done, save that.  I guess if drooling and being swollen is my biggest problems, I'm healing up fine.

Ugh, Time to go lay down again...

I'll hopefully be better when I'm next on!

The Metal RN

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #13 am: Juli 24, 2005, 09:14:29 Vormittag »
Zitat von: "AngelOfMusic"

I can now get online for very short stints before I have to go lay down again.  Also, I look exactly like a fish.  Fillet me up and fry me right.  I still feel like crap,

Don't you mean you still feel like CARP....... haha fish, carp, crap....... ahhhhhh, I kill myself..... :P

AngelOfMusic

• Gast
Gone for a week or so...
« Antwort #14 am: Juli 24, 2005, 07:02:17 Nachmittag »
hahaha, I did laugh at that.  Which I probably SHOULD do anyway.  Laughter is the best medicine, right?

It still feels weird to move my mouth, but I'm starting to get feeling back in my face.  Smiling is hard to do, and laughing is nearly impossible.  I sound like an old woman when I laugh.  Kind of a 'Huh huh huuuuh!heee!" sound.  

I'm also at the point where I'm not comfortable wherever I try to sleep.  If I stay in the recliner, my back starts to hurt.  If I try to sleep in my bed, my back starts to hurt.  And I can't sleep on my side or my stomach because that will put pressure on my face. I'm not even in facial pain.  Everything just feels very tight and puffy.  But apparently laying down makes everything swell up again.

And tomorrow, I get to see the surgeon again at 7:20 AM (just a follow up exam).  I think he's insane, honestly.

Oh, and now that I can focus on the screen without the words dancing around (I stopped taking the narcotics last night some time...) thanks to everyone that wished me well.  And my advice:  If you are ever told you need jaw surgery, don't do it unless absolutely necissary.  I still wish I'd just said no. Maybe when I'm less swollen and can actually eat I'll say differently.  But right now...ugh.